Liam Thompson

Day

I don't think he was too bad yesterday, it was more the lack of options when he was on the ball, at times you could see he was almost throwing his hand out asking for an option. We seemed very slow yesterday, no one offering when we were in possession. The whole team was very negative yesterday. Look at their second goal, Plange had the ball in their corner and no one made any kind of effort to help him.

Lets not try and make a very promising youngster with only a handful of appearances into a scapegoat, that would be a new low, even for some on here.

5 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I don't think he was too bad yesterday, it was more the lack of options when he was on the ball, at times you could see he was almost throwing his hand out asking for an option. We seemed very slow yesterday, no one offering when we were in possession. The whole team was very negative yesterday. Look at their second goal, Plange had the ball in their corner and no one made any kind of effort to help him.

Lets not try and make a very promising youngster with only a handful of appearances into a scapegoat, that would be a new low, even for some on here.

There was more than once that a forward run into space was made which he chose to ignore and pass back to the defence. He's young, he'll gain experience. But saying he was good when he wasn't won't help.

5 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

No one has made him a scapegoat, there were at least 2 worse than him yesterday, but if we can't constructively dicuss players form and team selection, what is the point of being on a football forum. 

Liam has seemed to lost a little bit of the bravery he certainly showed in his first few games. But dips in form are natural and also I do think in the context of the game he was very often being closed down by Birmingham players clearly trying to use their physical size. 

Hes clearly got so much talent and him and bielik and bird all playing a 3 could be a really creative force in the run in. Hopefully he regains a little bit of that bravery but the team itself has not played well in 3 of the last 4 games for me and has still picked up a number of points which is promising. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

There was more than once that a forward run into space was made which he chose to ignore and pass back to the defence. He's young, he'll gain experience. But saying he was good when he wasn't won't help.

Fair point, I didn't say he was good but certainly no worse than most others out there. I didn't think Festy was particularly great yesterday. But again, he is a young player and will learn and develop with more game time. 

This isn’t a dig at Thompson (I thought he was one of our better players in the first half), but when did we decide that EVERY passing move has to go through Allsop? Couldn’t string two passes together in the first half before it went back to the GK. Just seemed…odd ?‍♂️

1 minute ago, StaffsRam said:

This isn’t a dig at Thompson (I thought he was one of our better players in the first half), but when did we decide that EVERY passing move has to go through Allsop? Couldn’t string two passes together in the first half before it went back to the GK. Just seemed…odd ?‍♂️

Often he was the only one in space 

Thought Thompson played well overall yesterday, but Bird's horror show of a performance really dragged him down.

I don't think Liam's the sort of player who can single-handedly grab a midfield by the scruff of the neck and take control (or at least not yet anyway). He needed some help from his midfield partner.

I think Liam finds himself in a bit of the same situation as Bird last year - too often taking the more safe option, sideways or backwards. But that's probably his role right now - get hold of the ball and move it either to safety, or to Bird for the more creative option

He's in his first season as a pro. Considering he looks about 5ft-nowt and like a stiff breeze would knock him over, he's a tenacious bugger who's mixing it with some of the best in this league and not looking outclassed by any stretch.

5 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Thought Thompson played well overall yesterday, but Bird's horror show of a performance really dragged him down.

I don't think Liam's the sort of player who can single-handedly grab a midfield by the scruff of the neck and take control (or at least not yet anyway). He needed some help from his midfield partner.

Interestingly I thought it was vice versa with Thompson taking too wide a position defensively and leaving Bird having to take chances to move us forward.  

1 minute ago, sage said:

Interestingly I thought it was vice versa with Thompson taking too wide a position defensively and leaving Bird having to take chances to move us forward.  

I would agree - Bird was trying to move us forward and he was taking chances. But there were so many misplaced passes, running directly into Brum players, getting caught in possession, etc.

He's usually so good at keeping the ball.

1 minute ago, Scott129 said:

I would agree - Bird was trying to move us forward and he was taking chances. But there were so many misplaced passes, running directly into Brum players, getting caught in possession, etc.

He's usually so good at keeping the ball.

I think because he was being outnumbered. Bird and Bielik will be an immense partnership    

The whole team was below par in the first half as Brum nullified us playing 3 up front. We only improved when Bielik came on and we took the game into their half more. Thomo has been outstanding and like Bird will be a key player for years. I am going to annoyed like many others  if they sell Plange to Palace today ... 

1 hour ago, sage said:

No one has made him a scapegoat, there were at least 2 worse than him yesterday, but if we can't constructively dicuss players form and team selection, what is the point of being on a football forum. 

Bloody hell mate, coming on here turning a decent young player into a scapegoat. What’s the matter with you?  As for reasons you might come on a football forum:

1 no proper friends

2 locked in bedroom

3 grooming purpose

4 keep up to date with COVID news

5 accountancy and insolvency training

6 poor pun based humour

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Bloody hell mate, coming on here turning a decent young player into a scapegoat. What’s the matter with you?  As for reasons you might come on a football forum:

1 no proper friends

2 locked in bedroom

3 grooming purpose

4 keep up to date with COVID news

5 accountancy and insolvency training

6 poor pun based humour

Well all of those as well

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's so easy to see space when you are up in the stands without seeing the line of vision that the player has. He makes mistakes, of course he does but in my view is well worth his place in the team.