Staying Up?

Yani P

Up or Down?  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Did you watch the West Brom game, it was the most one sided 0-0 draw ever. We got absolutely massacred. How we got away with that one I'll never know.

Still every little counts ?

That's because we have Davies and Jags. Dad's army to the rescue. believe.

47 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am curious why you consider that remark to be tosh.....

Really? OK. Let me enlighten you.

Without the points deduction, we're clear of the relegation zone. We're much better than last season. We've just deservedly beaten the league leaders and we've got our best player to come back.

So, yes, without the points deduction, I'd be confident we would stay up.

6 hours ago, BondJovi said:

There aren't many times, if any, in a career as a professional footballer when you can play matches with zero pressure. In a league when any team can beat any, we are a dangerous team to face. Whilst we haven’t been a particular goal threat, we have largely remained tough to beat. We started the season the same way, no one expected anything of us, written off.

My fear though is when staying up becomes a realistic chance. If the pressure comes back...the other issue is if players start thinking about their future if we are down early.

Just enjoy this ride as a fan, you never know.

Good points. Also worth mentioning our record against top 6 teams is not unlike last season but we've already dropped a lot of points to bottom half teams (like last season).

Infuriatingly, if we'd have beaten Barnsley we'd now only be 5 points behind them even with a 21 point penalty. Its those games we need to improve in.

As a general point, long way to go before we can start to think about a great escape. The gap to 4th bottom is currently 15 points...halve that by Christmas & I'll start to dream of the biggest 'up yours' in English football history.

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Good points. Also worth mentioning our record against top 6 teams is not unlike last season but we've already dropped a lot of points to bottom half teams (like last season).

Infuriatingly, if we'd have beaten Barnsley we'd now only be 5 points behind them even with a 21 point penalty. Its those games we need to improve in.

As a general point, long way to go before we can start to think about a great escape. The gap to 4th bottom is currently 15 points...halve that by Christmas & I'll start to dream of the biggest 'up yours' in English football history.

We always play better against teams that like to play football, because we try to play football.

We struggle against those teams that want to rough it up, play act and wrestle their opponents.

10 hours ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

No chance I'm afraid. (A bit of reverse psychology..) So far this season in 17 games we have achieved slightly over 1 point per game, which is barely enough to avoid relegation normally. To achieve safety we need 1.8 points per game which is pushing for automatic promotion form. Are we going to go from relegation threatened to pushing for promotion form overnight? Are we capable of winning 2 on the trot even?

Sky sports stated we would need to get 1.7 points per match to stand a chance of staying up. So a draw at Fulham on Wednesday and a win at home to QPR would give us a 2.3 point per match ratio over the 3 games (having won today).

Just now, angieram said:

We always play better against teams that like to play football, because we try to play football.

We struggle against those teams that want to rough it up, play act and wrestle their opponents.

Definitely true of the lesser sides but we managed to deal (just about) with West Brom, who are very much in that mould.

Not sure what solution is but maybe a more aggressive press (Thompson's emergence could be useful here) to expose their limitations, look to overwhelm them by playing higher up & with our superior control of the ball.

Just now, LeedsCityRam said:

Definitely true of the lesser sides but we managed to deal (just about) with West Brom, who are very much in that mould.

Not sure what solution is but maybe a more aggressive press (Thompson's emergence could be useful here) to expose their limitations, look to overwhelm them by playing higher up & with our superior control of the ball.

That's true. Gosh, we were under the cosh that day, Kelle Roos played brilliantly.

10 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

This team would go down even if we hadn’t been deducted any points. Years of poor recruitment and poor managerial appointments catches up with you eventually. 

It occurred to me earlier that the scale of Derby's relative success against the odds is being obscured by a couple of ropey recent results & having to add on 21 points from all available tables. To highlight how well the side are doing, below is the table without deductions - 6 points clear of the bottom 3, ahead of recent Prem side Sheffield Utd and top 6 dark horses Cardiff & one win off the top half.

Our number of losses (5) is comparable with all the teams currently occupying the playoff spots - our downfall being the amount of draws which when taken with our low goal total, clearly points to where we're weak.

Given our embargo restrictions have been relaxed a little & with Bielik to return, there's every chance we could improve on this but either way, I'd be surprised if we finished bottom 3 on results alone;

image.png.a393f8f38106dcb41b610c0f162c6b36.png

3 hours ago, Sheff Ram said:

Really? OK. Let me enlighten you.

Without the points deduction, we're clear of the relegation zone. We're much better than last season. We've just deservedly beaten the league leaders and we've got our best player to come back.

So, yes, without the points deduction, I'd be confident we would stay up.

Unless I’ve read the posts incorrectly, I thought @Tyler Durden was saying this?

7 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

It occurred to me earlier that the scale of Derby's relative success against the odds is being obscured by a couple of ropey recent results & having to add on 21 points from all available tables. To highlight how well the side are doing, below is the table without deductions - 6 points clear of the bottom 3, ahead of recent Prem side Sheffield Utd and top 6 dark horses Cardiff & one win off the top half.

Our number of losses (5) is comparable with all the teams currently occupying the playoff spots - our downfall being the amount of draws which when taken with our low goal total, clearly points to where we're weak.

Given our embargo restrictions have been relaxed a little & with Bielik to return, there's every chance we could improve on this but either way, I'd be surprised if we finished bottom 3 on results alone;

image.png.a393f8f38106dcb41b610c0f162c6b36.png

Perhaps a table showing the deduction as 1/2 pt per game played would give a truer reflection of progress? 

That would show us on 12 points, already ahead of Barnsley.