Academy Prospects

Taribo

Who are we most looking forward to get a chance from the academy? Ignore 'established player' and 'professional standing' or whatever for now.

Eiran Cashin is pretty much my favourite player based purely on how he seems a sound lad from one interview he gave.... dunno if he's actually any good or not.

I think Louie Watson might become pivotal next season and Isaac Hutchinson has already shown he's capable in lower leagues.

Dylan Williams looks a real prospect, and I'm looking forward to us properly bedding Festy in (assuming we don't have to sell off these two in Jan).

Stretton to bang them in now the pressure is off? Is Plange ready for a few cameos? Will Bart ever get there?

1 hour ago, Taribo said:

Who are we most looking forward to get a chance from the academy? Ignore 'established player' and 'professional standing' or whatever for now.

Eiran Cashin is pretty much my favourite player based purely on how he seems a sound lad from one interview he gave.... dunno if he's actually any good or not.

I think Louie Watson might become pivotal next season and Isaac Hutchinson has already shown he's capable in lower leagues.

Dylan Williams looks a real prospect, and I'm looking forward to us properly bedding Festy in (assuming we don't have to sell off these two in Jan).

Stretton to bang them in now the pressure is off? Is Plange ready for a few cameos? Will Bart ever get there?

We are screwed, “you never win anything with kids!” ????????

@angieramand @Ghost of Clough will have the best idea on who’s best equipped in the 23s.

I’ve seen a few games and I’ve always liked Jordan Brown and was disappointed to see Archie Brown be allowed to leave. 

I like the look of Luke Plange. Has a good natural athleticism and a nice touch for a big lad as well as a turn of pace. 

Of the obvious ones (Cashin / Thompson / Watson / Hutchinson / Stretton / Festy) they are all capable of league 1. obviously Festy is showing already what he can do and Stretton has the mark of a goalscorer and the pace required, but of the rest of that group Hutchinson having already played at that level as a teenager looks to be most equipped right now.

i don't think anybody should be under any illusion that any young player with any potential will be off before the end of this season .  We couldn't keep them with state of the art facilities, no admin and the chance to play for a side at the top end of the championship. We might keep a few 20 yr olds with 18 months on contract and no takers.  Thats your lot. 

12 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

You mean "off to Liverpool"?

I’m sure they will be one of the teams keeping a close eye on him. It’s always going to be hard for a team in our current position to keep the top players. 

Isn’t it about this time last year that Kaide was in and around the first team to lure him into committing to the club as a professional. 

5 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I’m sure they will be one of the teams keeping a close eye on him. It’s always going to be hard for a team in our current position to keep the top players. 

Isn’t it about this time last year that Kaide was in and around the first team to lure him into committing to the club as a professional. 

Kellyman has made 3 apps for the U18s so far (whilst being in the U16s).

Gordon appeared for the U18s twice when he was still in the U15s. Then scored 3 in 5 for the U18s last season before playing for the U23s early December and then for the first team at the end of December

1 hour ago, Taribo said:

The one you haven't mentioned from the U23s is LThompson who is a very talented playmaker and has a fantastic delivery from set pieces (with either foot), but needs time to adapt physically. He should look at someone like Ryan Woods who is also on the short side, but know how to handle himself.

Also Wilson, but he'll need plenty of time to recover from his injury.

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Kellyman has made 3 apps for the U18s so far (whilst being in the U16s).

Gordon appeared for the U18s twice when he was still in the U15s. Then scored 3 in 5 for the U18s last season before playing for the U23s early December and then for the first team at the end of December

And now apparently is another product of the Liverpool Academy if you believe the press..

If other clubs can sweep up our youngsters for next to nothing and our first team youngsters contracts have been forcefully (EFL) had their contacts run down and can walk away or for a pittance then the major and very important question has to be How can a league one club have a grade one academy that costs £6 million a year to run? - surely we should shut it down? Yes it seems very sad but we are just linking the pockets of others.

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The one you haven't mentioned from the U23s is LThompson who is a very talented playmaker and has a fantastic delivery from set pieces (with either foot), but needs time to adapt physically. He should look at someone like Ryan Woods who is also on the short side, but know how to handle himself.

Also Wilson, but he'll need plenty of time to recover from his injury.

Surely Conor Dixon can at least be a squad option for midfield too

17 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

If other clubs can sweep up our youngsters for next to nothing and our first team youngsters contracts have been forcefully (EFL) had their contacts run down and can walk away or for a pittance then the major and very important question has to be How can a league one club have a grade one academy that costs £6 million a year to run? - surely we should shut it down? Yes it seems very sad but we are just linking the pockets of others.

Are you being serious? In our position as we speak, we’d have no team if it wasn’t for the academy. 

It’s a massive part of DCFC and without it, we lose half of the club, IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Surely Conor Dixon can at least be a squad option for midfield too

With a 2 man midfield, and assuming Bielik, Bird and Knight are sold...

Do you really want to go into a season with Shinnie, Watson, LThompson and Dixon as your options?
2 starters, 2 backups - Shinnie, Watson, LThompson, and a signing who has experience.

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

With a 2 man midfield, and assuming Bielik, Bird and Knight are sold...

Do you really want to go into a season with Shinnie, Watson, LThompson and Dixon as your options?
2 starters, 2 backups - Shinnie, Watson, LThompson, and a signing who has experience.

I'm still naively hoping we can convince Bird and/or Knight to give us another season at least and if was in charge I'd be doing what I could to try to obtain that goal. Having one or both beyond this season will seriously bolster us from two angles; a lot more quality in midfield and if we can avoid selling them this season we are more likely to get a bigger fee for them down the road (and one we can reinvest at that).

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

It's all ifs and buts but it's likely if we get all the talented youngsters swept up this time we stay down in league one for a while. The academy looks expensive at that point but it would theoretically give us the means of actually rebuilding a bit further down the line because the infrastructure for producing these players will still be there. If we close that it will take a long time to rebuild, I mean it's taken about 5 or 6 years from us majorly pumping money into the academy to beginning to see the fruits of that investment.

17 minutes ago, Jram said:

Hopefully if the club is bought, there won’t be the necessity to sell off youngsters 

It will certainly make it more likely we’ll get moneys worth for them

Isnt it onlyFesty who’s contract runs out next summer 

It's only Bielik, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Jozwiak contracted beyond the summer as things stand.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's only Bielik, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Jozwiak contracted beyond the summer as things stand.

So do the academy players who've been on the fringes and just started to look like breaking through go in the summer as it stands ? The likes of Watson, Ebosele, Stretton etc ?