Derbyshire CCC - Mickey Arthur Appointed

Mihangel

Interesting quote from Mickey Arthur in his preseason interview.

“We’ve invested in our bowling attack and our batters are now at a point where they can play on any surface. I’m not suggesting we suddenly play on green tops, but we can trust Neil (Godrich, Head Groundsman) to give us the sort of pitch which, if we play well enough on it, will give us the opportunity to win games at Derby. Neil is one of us; he’s part of my team, and an important part.”

Hopefully a bit more in the pitch for the bowlers this season, and some more interesting cricket at HQ.

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

“We’ve invested in our bowling attack and our batters are now at a point where they can play on any surface. I’m not suggesting we suddenly play on green tops, but we can trust Neil (Godrich, Head Groundsman) to give us the sort of pitch which, if we play well enough on it, will give us the opportunity to win games at Derby. Neil is one of us; he’s part of my team, and an important part.”

Hopefully a bit more in the pitch for the bowlers this season, and some more interesting cricket at HQ.

I don’t think we’ve won a Championship game at the county ground whilst Mickey Arthur as been head coach and I think we may have lost just one in that time. The wickets have been far to batter friendly it will be interesting to see the wicket when the season starts, I would imagine it’s been difficult for the ground staff with the amount of rain we’ve had this winter 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2024 at 12:32, Henrycav81 said:

I don’t think we’ve won a Championship game at the county ground whilst Mickey Arthur as been head coach and I think we may have lost just one in that time. The wickets have been far to batter friendly it will be interesting to see the wicket when the season starts, I would imagine it’s been difficult for the ground staff with the amount of rain we’ve had this winter 

v Worcestershire in 2022 is the only one I think.

On 02/03/2024 at 10:42, jimbo jones said:

I'd like to see some real pace and bounce in the wicket this season.

On 25/02/2024 at 14:41, jimbo jones said:

I’d imagine Tickner plays, and Donald will be in with a shout.

I was at Colwyn Bay for Donald's 234. If he can bat like that this season I'll be very happy.

Of course Whiteley is available for Red Ball cricket, not sure if he's played any recently but it would be nice if he could hit the runs that get us promoted again.

4 hours ago, NOTSA74 said:

I was at Colwyn Bay for Donald's 234. If he can bat like that this season I'll be very happy.

Of course Whiteley is available for Red Ball cricket, not sure if he's played any recently but it would be nice if he could hit the runs that get us promoted again.

Whiteley’s last red ball game was for Hampshire against a Sri Lanka development XI in May 2022 - he scored 55 not out.

It's been a while.

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Amir to miss the start of the season due to international call up…typical. All we need is a couple of injuries and my hope and enthusiasm will have dwindled considerably 🥲

I was going to post this yesterday, but I was too busy sulking.

In other news, the pipeline of young Lancashire players coming down to Derbyshire continues. We have signed Jack Morley on a season-long loan.

A 22 year old left arm spinner with 25 first class wickets from 9 appearances. Hopefully he follows in Brooke Guest’s footsteps, does well and makes the move permanent.

10 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

I was going to post this yesterday, but I was too busy sulking.

In other news, the pipeline of young Lancashire players coming down to Derbyshire continues. We have signed Jack Morley on a season-long loan.

A 22 year old left arm spinner with 25 first class wickets from 9 appearances. Hopefully he follows in Brooke Guest’s footsteps, does well and makes the move permanent.

Where does this leave Thompson?

Derbyshire second XI currently playing the South Asian Cricket Academy.

i say second XI, its the first time with a couple missing.

Reece, Came, Lloyd, Guest, Lamb, Donald, Dal, Thomson, Chappell, Conners, Brown

Batting first, 174-5 😬 a lot of starts but no-one kicking on.