Triumph and Tragedy - Alan Hinton's autobiography

Carl Sagan

For those who don't know, one of Derby's all-time great players, Alan Hinton, has written an autobiography about his extraordinary life, which included playing for England and winning two league titles with us, before moving on from Derby to Canada and America as a player and then becoming a very successful coach and "Mr Soccer" over there. I wonder if he was ever in the running to return to manage us? 

Here's a video that covers some of it. I've started it at the Derby section, but feel free to go back to the beginning.

The book isn't the easiest to get hold of. The DCFC Megastore stocked 100 copies, quickly sold them all, but currently aren't bothering to restock when I don't think it would cost them anything. I feel for Alan who has such a deep passion about Derby, and tweets about the club from his home in Seattle most days, and has written what looks a great book, but it's really hard to get hold of. Right now the only way seems to be through this Wolves site (which is the publisher who has done it with him): https://wolvesbooks.net/ ticking "Triumph and Tragedy".

If anyone has a contact with the Megastore it would be great if they could raise stocking the book with them. The publisher tells me he would personally deliver books to the Megastore at no cost (as he did with the first 100), so I think the club simply needs to sell them and keep a share of the profits.

It's available from Amazon.com in America https://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Tragedy-Alan-Hinton-Story/dp/1999671953/ but oddly the publisher's not even selling it through Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triumph-Tragedy-Alan-Hinton-Story/dp/1999671953 or doing an eBook.

Can't imagine many of today's players manning a womens knickers stall on Ashbourne market in the off season, (yes he really did man the stall when not playing).

I think his brother-in-law used to be the regular bloke on the stall and if my memory serves me correctly ripped-him off big time?

One of my all time fondest Rams memories is of that single spotlight amongst the otherwise pitch-dark BBG, on his testimonial night.

Literally nothing and nobody to see, other than the main man himself.

No idea who we played.  Clueless about the score.  But that image still lingers bright in my mind.  Beautiful!

?

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

For those who don't know, one of Derby's all-time great players, Alan Hinton, has written an autobiography about his extraordinary life, which included playing for England and winning two league titles with us, before moving on from Derby to Canada and America as a player and then becoming a very successful coach and "Mr Soccer" over there. I wonder if he was ever in the running to return to manage us? 

Here's a video that covers some of it. I've started it at the Derby section, but feel free to go back to the beginning.

The book isn't the easiest to get hold of. The DCFC Megastore stocked 100 copies, quickly sold them all, but currently aren't bothering to restock when I don't think it would cost them anything. I feel for Alan who has such a deep passion about Derby, and tweets about the club from his home in Seattle most days, and has written what looks a great book, but it's really hard to get hold of. Right now the only way seems to be through this Wolves site (which is the publisher who has done it with him): https://wolvesbooks.net/ ticking "Triumph and Tragedy".

If anyone has a contact with the Megastore it would be great if they could raise stocking the book with them. The publisher tells me he would personally deliver books to the Megastore at no cost (as he did with the first 100), so I think the club simply needs to sell them and keep a share of the profits.

It's available from Amazon.com in America https://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Tragedy-Alan-Hinton-Story/dp/1999671953/ but oddly the publisher's not even selling it through Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Triumph-Tragedy-Alan-Hinton-Story/dp/1999671953 or doing an eBook.

I've got a contact from Pride so will try and intro Alan's publishers to them. I know that with the new organisation running the Megastore they've had some new rules come into place in terms of what they can and can't stock, and I think they've got some rules in place on who they can now buy stock from. 

Either way, I'll ask around 

Edited by HuddersRam

1 hour ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

Testimonial attendance was in excess of 24000 IIRC.

But that was insignificant following the loss of his young son(?) and the dubious circumstances of his business failing.

25,000 IIRC, and the chants of "Alan, Alan Hinton, Alan Hinton on the wing" that echoed around the stadium were really poignant. Everyone felt empathy with him that night, over the loss of his young son through illness and the financial problems his business had suffered as a result. Derby fans really showed up for him. 

34 minutes ago, HuddersRam said:

I've got a contact from Pride so will try and intro Alan's publishers to them. I know that with the new organisation running the Megastore they've had some new rules come into place in terms of what they can and can't stock, and I think they've got some rules in place on who they can now buy stock from. 

Either way, I'll ask around 

Cheers. In case you're able to do anything I'll DM you the guy's details.

1 hour ago, ImARam2 said:

Although I watched every home game between 1967 and 1975, how the 'ell did he play in the mud of the BBG, with such skill and accuracy of crosses?

His strength of shooting was fantastic, and I believe they had a competition who had the hardest shot - was it won by Peter Lorimer?

Yes, by about 2 MPH,

15 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

What a player he was !!!

If only we had a winger who could put it on a sixpence ..........

With either foot.  

Until I watched this I’d forgotten how strong his right foot was (the left was legendary of course).

I’d also forgotten just how awesome Terry Hennessey’s sideburns were 

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

One of my all time fondest Rams memories is of that single spotlight amongst the otherwise pitch-dark BBG, on his testimonial night.

Literally nothing and nobody to see, other than the main man himself.

No idea who we played.  Clueless about the score.  But that image still lingers bright in my mind.  Beautiful!

?

My first ever game. I was Six years old and sat in the B stand I think. Remember the noise and atmosphere but didn't know at the time about his personal circumstances and would have been too young to process it I guess. The Rams lost 2-6 to an England XI. 

I too have the book and I endorse Dave's comments above.

The first print run sold out and the second is now available but Alan seems have encountered some marketing difficulties in the UK, which I know he is trying to overcome.

I pre-ordered it back in May and received my copy in June. I bought it from a company called GP Books who distribute a lot of books about Wolves, which was Alan's first club. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Alan had sent a personalised signed insert which had been glued inside. The price was £25 which included P & P.

The guy who was handling it is called Clive Corbett and the email address is gpbooks@hotmail.co.uk

I would expect that the book is still available through him and the service I received was excellent.