Steve McClaren

Poynton ram

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

That's an interesting point, Curtains, and maybe some people who don't rate Steve are upset about his replacing Nigel Clough.

Personally, I was ready for the change. And it wasn't his fault who he replaced.

Not Steve’s fault at all. 

I remember the. fans forum at Telegraph pub in Derby I think it was with Simmo ,Steely and Steve just after he took over from Nigel and fans welcomed them. 

Nigel had a difficult task at Derby with finances and rebuilding the team after was it the 11 point season !

He did a great job but his football wasn’t always respected by fans but he had a great record against Forest and Leeds.

He would argue he was still in the building stage when Mac arrived. 

Im waffling .

But as I say Steve is helping Derby now IMO in difficult times for the club 

44 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Not Steve’s fault at all. 

I remember the. fans forum at Telegraph pub in Derby I think it was with Simmo ,Steely and Steve just after he took over from Nigel and fans welcomed them. 

Nigel had a difficult task at Derby with finances and rebuilding the team after was it the 11 point season !

He did a great job but his football wasn’t always respected by fans but he had a great record against Forest and Leeds.

He would argue he was still in the building stage when Mac arrived. 

Im waffling .

But as I say Steve is helping Derby now IMO in difficult times for the club 

Your not waffling at all. I dont usually comment on this forum, just like reading the very witty comments some people post but had to have a small operation so had to isolate, so had time on my hands. Will be going back to reading it now, getting to serious for me?

2 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Your not waffling at all. I dont usually comment on this forum, just like reading the very witty comments some people post but had to have a small operation so had to isolate, so had time on my hands. Will be going back to reading it now, getting to serious for me?

I’ve had two small operations also . 
Take care.    We all have opinions right or wrong 

1 hour ago, Red Ram said:

Lol. Mac2 wasn't gonna come back and say 'you know what I was right and just why did Mel sack me'?! ? I think there was also some 'apologising' done by Mel at the same time.

2 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Come on be fair, most people associated within football these days are multi millionaires and I doubt we would be seeing the same level of loyalty from eg: Frank Lampard if he was still here

But Frank had no history us at all, never claimed to love the club, etc and never tried to be 'smart' with his words. Mac did me when he was asked about Newcastle and kept avoiding answering directly - if he'd have just said 'no, not interested' or 'look, you can't blame me for having my head turned by a Pre club' then fair enough but instead he just kept giving these abstract, non-committal answers that assumes us to be stupid. The politicians do the same these days - they get asked a simple question and simply won't answer it to avoid being held responsible. I'm not 'down' with that as the kids say.

I'm not really slating Mac for doing it, just saying let's not get the statue up just yet - all he's said is that he'll answer the phone. It's not like he's in every day sweeping floors, cleaning boots and painting lines is it...

4 hours ago, Kathcairns said:

So you know pesonally what positions he was offered, sorry cant quite believe that.

Personally, no. But it has been spoken about in the media. I see no reason to lie. Steve McClaren is hardly big news

1 hour ago, Kathcairns said:

Nah, don't think like that. We can agree or disagree it doesn't matter. We're all Derby and there's no need for grudges etc. 

Hope you're well.

54 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

But Frank had no history us at all, never claimed to love the club, etc and never tried to be 'smart' with his words. Mac did me when he was asked about Newcastle and kept avoiding answering directly - if he'd have just said 'no, not interested' or 'look, you can't blame me for having my head turned by a Pre club' then fair enough but instead he just kept giving these abstract, non-committal answers that assumes us to be stupid. The politicians do the same these days - they get asked a simple question and simply won't answer it to avoid being held responsible. I'm not 'down' with that as the kids say.

I'm not really slating Mac for doing it, just saying let's not get the statue up just yet - all he's said is that he'll answer the phone. It's not like he's in every day sweeping floors, cleaning boots and painting lines is it...

You’re right. Was always a politicians answer. Didn’t want to deny his interest as he probably had one eye on it but he didn’t want to say he would probably be off in case nothing came of it. 

Always liked Mac though as coach or manager, a lot of good matches under him. Got a bit unlucky with players getting injured. He really got that 2013/14 team playing and to finish 3rd was a good achievement, especially In light of how the team was doing before. 

Smith- McClaren was a brilliant combination for Derby. 

Edited by TheresOnlyWanChope

3 hours ago, Red Ram said:

Please don’t come on here offering facts which spoil the loving narrative many have on here for Stevie boy. He wanted to go to Newcastle. Who wouldn’t have at the time. His time at Derby was on a down curve, and he was never going to get another/better chance to manage his home team.

@Kathcairnsdont stop posting. If everybody did that had had some argybargy with @RoyMac5on here, it would just be him on here disagreeing with himself.

8 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Please don’t come on here offering facts which spoil the loving narrative many have on here for Stevie boy. He wanted to go to Newcastle. Who wouldn’t have at the time. His time at Derby was on a down curve, and he was never going to get another/better chance to manage his home team.

@Kathcairnsdont stop posting. If everybody did that had had some argybargy with @RoyMac5on here, it would just be him on here disagreeing with himself.

Although the @RoyMac5 thread of @RoyMac5 ripping @RoyMac5 to shreds for his inability to accept Wayne Rooney as in fact the second coming of jesus and instead trying to argue that @RoyMac5 is the heretic for thinking that Wayne Rooney is only a prophet of football and not in fact the mortal manifestation of the holy spirit, would be quite funny.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Nah, don't think like that. We can agree or disagree it doesn't matter. We're all Derby and there's no need for grudges etc. 

Hope you're well.

No grudges, just like to enjoy football, wich at the end of the day what will we all do if noone buys. Been going since 1968,cant think that we could cease to exist. Thankyou i am well.

20 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Although the @RoyMac5 thread of @RoyMac5 ripping @RoyMac5 to shreds for his inability to accept Wayne Rooney as in fact the second coming of jesus and instead trying to argue that @RoyMac5 is the heretic for thinking that Wayne Rooney is only a prophet of football and not in fact the mortal manifestation of the holy spirit, would be quite funny.

It probably would, can't argue with that. ? 

?

2 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

You’re right. Was always a politicians answer. Didn’t want to deny his interest as he probably had one eye on it but he didn’t want to say he would probably be off in case nothing came of it. 

Always liked Mac though as coach or manager, a lot of good matches under him. Got a bit unlucky with players getting injured. He really got that 2013/14 team playing and to finish 3rd was a good achievement, especially In light of how the team was doing before. 

Smith- McClaren was a brilliant combination for Derby. 

Also agree. If I'd have been Mel, I'd have stuck with Mac once we got him back. His coaching skills are not up for discussion - he's coached at the highest level and I think if we'd really have been thinking long term, that should have been the approach. But no, looking back on Mel's time now, he was inconsistent with his approach, expectations, strategy, etc, etc. I'll admit that I was taken in by Mel - I assumed he had good reason, that we weren't necessarily party to, to make some of the decisions he did but looking back now it looks like he's just a VERY lucky businessman. Or a VERY unlucky football Chairman...

On 27/09/2021 at 14:31, BaaLocks said:

It depends really, I get your point that it's harsh to expect every manager to take us to the Champions League and sometimes victory is moral (5-0 against Forest was a victory for me, even if it didn't come with a trophy - OBE Cup aside). But Mac had a couple of healthy cracks at it, a side that were clearly good enough and a budget to bring in what was needed. He only had to have succeeded on one of those four occassions and we'd not be in Admin today. To repeat, I'm not a Mac hater but there's been no Derby manager since Jim Smith who has had more time, resource and funding to get this team promoted and yet, sadly, did not achieve the very thing he was brought here to achieve.

More time: Clough (231 games) and Burley (107 games) both more than Mac's longest stint as manager (95 games), with Clough being in charge of more games than Mac over his 2 spells in total (125 games)

More money: Total transfer expenditure of £6/7m over both spells (note: not net expenditure). Clement spent £30m net on players in just over half a year. Wage bill at the end of his first spell was 33% lower than it was in the following season, and half of our highest wage bill in 17/18.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

More time: Clough (231 games) and Burley (107 games) both more than Mac's longest stint as manager (95 games), with Clough being in charge of more games than Mac over his 2 spells in total (125 games)

More money: Total transfer expenditure of £6/7m over both spells (note: not net expenditure). Clement spent £30m net on players in just over half a year. Wage bill at the end of his first spell was 33% lower than it was in the following season, and half of our highest wage bill in 17/18.

Neither Clough nor Burley had the resource, Clement wasn't given the time. If you're arguing to show your knowledge then yes - Clough was here for more games, point noted. But nobody since Jim Smith had the opportunity (unless you find some website that calculates the weighted opportunity algorithm for every manager since Jimmy Methven) that Mac had and he didn't manage to get the club over the line. With all he had he should have got us promoted. If you disagree, fair enough.

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Neither Clough nor Burley had the resource, Clement wasn't given the time. If you're arguing to show your knowledge then yes - Clough was here for more games, point noted. But nobody since Jim Smith had the opportunity (unless you find some website that calculates the weighted opportunity algorithm for every manager since Jimmy Methven) that Mac had and he didn't manage to get the club over the line. With all he had he should have got us promoted. If you disagree, fair enough.

2015 we were decimated by injuries to Martin , Thorne , Eustace and virtually the whole midfield at the crunch end of the season. If they had stayed fit in my opinion we would have gone up.