Once Upon A Time in 1884

loweman2

I have been reading again Peter Seddon’s great book “ The Men Who Made The Rams”, the story of the birth of our great club, I have then tracked the original newspapers from 1884 to see for myself just what was happening 137 years ago, it’s an interesting read ! 
I intend to add stuff on a regular basis, knowing the history of your club is an essential part of supporting your club, all of this stuff is out there preserved for future generations but how many people know that or how to access it, not many, so  I’m going to share it.

image.jpg

After the “leak”  the following day Thursday the 8th May, the Derbyshire County Cricket club let it be known that they did indeed intend to form an football team under association rules and this time it made the front page of the Derby Daily Telegraph, it was all very unassuming and not met with the greatest of excitement.

season tickets would be on sale at 5 shillings and a number of matches of a high order were to be arranged for the start of the new season in September!

37E9E618-9238-42F7-8F80-F9993B684B03.jpeg

70A41B27-0A41-4EBA-8385-D1208F19B362.jpeg

9 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Which ground did they aquire? My understanding was that the Club played originally at the cricket ground, which DCCC presumably owned. 

They played on the grounds of the cricket club the cricket pitch was in the middle of the race course ( which in those days was an actual racecourse) initially until the racecourse was widened, so they moved the cricket pitch in 1883 to the far side of the racecourse and built a new pavilion where they then played football and cricket, 

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

Which ground did they aquire? My understanding was that the Club played originally at the cricket ground, which DCCC presumably owned. 

No; it's my understanding that the ground was owned by Derby Recreation Company who ran the racecourse and it was friction caused by football having to be cancelled due to clashes with horse-racing that led eventually to the exodus to the BBG.