Once Upon A Time in 1884

loweman2

4 hours ago, loweman2 said:

I have been reading again Peter Seddon’s great book “ The Men Who Made The Rams”, the story of the birth of our great club, I have then tracked the original newspapers from 1884 to see for myself just what was happening 137 years ago, it’s an interesting read ! 
I intend to add stuff on a regular basis, knowing the history of your club is an essential part of supporting your club, all of this stuff is out there preserved for future generations but how many people know that or how to access it, not many, so  I’m going to share it.

image.jpg

Probably the best book ever written about Derby County. 

13 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

The old Duesbury grandstand built in 1853 and demolished in 1911, seen here in around 1905 with Steve Bloomer second from right !

66201242-53E7-4DFD-92B8-2C95992757A0.jpeg

image.png.e64bbe3e187d6d84abf0185761695db9.png

The eagle-eyed amongst you will compare the 2 pictures and see that Peter Seddon's original photograph shows the Team in front of the magnificent pavilion. 

@angieramwill be delighted to hear that there was a separate "cordoned off" area for the ladies on the top of the pavilion.

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

The first official game was played against Great Lever from Bolton who had formed in 1877.

49C2F66F-AFF1-4DF7-8B60-1F60DAEF42E3.jpeg

If you take the time to read this write up from the very first game played on September 20th 1884 you will see that they were initially known as Derbyshire County, this caused some upset in the weeks to follow with the local Derbyshire FA, it also interestinly tells us that the attire of the Derbyshire men was Brown on one side and Green on the other with a connecting trimming of gold from the neck to the waist ! The actual colours were Cambridge Blue (which is green) and Chocolate brown with a golden yellow amber strip where the buttons are, these were the official colours of the Derbyshire Cricket Club.