Current Expectations for the Upcoming Season

2021/2022 Season Expectations  

298 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

So you don’t think he was in a position to implement his style of play during the 35 games last season?

Yes I think he was in a position but dont think he really tried apart from the short stint where Bielik was available.

He took over a team that was used to playing slow boring football, low on confidence. 

He found a formula that got us some results on the board and away from trouble. 

Do you think how we played last season is how he wants his teams to set up?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes I think he was in a position but dont think he really tried apart from the short stint where Bielik was available.

He took over a team that was used to playing slow boring football, low on confidence. 

I honestly don't think he has the ability as a coach to get us playing to a style.

The only times we played at all well last season is when Mac appeared to initially have some influence and Rooney went on to resent that quite clearly.

I'd suggest that our style will be identical to how we played this season,with or without new incomings.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I ********** hope not ?

30 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I honestly don't think he has the ability as a coach to get us playing to a style.

The only times we played at all well last season is when Mac appeared to initially have some influence and Rooney went on to resent that quite clearly.

I'd suggest that our style will be identical to how we played this season, with or without new incomings.

To say it was to do with Mac rather than Rooney and the players he had available plus the situation they were in is based on what? Mac has been around the games all the rest of the season - do you think he was involved and then not because his secret got out?! 

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

To say it was to do with Mac rather than Rooney and the players he had available plus the situation they were in is based on what? Mac has been around the games all the rest of the season - do you think he was involved and then not because his secret got out?! 

I think he was involved until Wayne began to believe his own hype Roy.

I agree that Rooney had 35 games, but we have to remember the background circumstances, the protracted takeover, injury to Bielik, a turning point, the January transfer window.

I think Rooney disappointed as his tenure went on, however. He has shown glimpses as a boss, he seemed to have a better, pragmatic grasp of the division than Cocu, but our end of season run was terrible. However, I think the problems affecting the club go beyond him and we are a club in crisis.

At this point of time, sides in/around us have brought in additions (Huddersfield, Hull, Luton), we haven't addressed on-going issues (contracts), are under an embargo, & could face a points deduction. We finished with 44 points, I think our lowest tally under Clough was 49. The bookies have us at the longest odds I can remember, down with Peterborough & Blackpool at 50-1. Interestingly, Forest have also been similarly quiet in the transfer market.

A lot now depends on variables such as a possible takeover, incoming transfers etc, but at this point of time, if we can avoid relegation, we will be doing well as we're starting from a low base. We were the division's lowest scorers (36) & haven't addressed this issue or brought in more creativity. 

With Rooney dividing opinion (probably reflected in the stands by returning fans), you do wonder what he will gain by staying if the situation remains as it is. If Rooney walks or is removed from his post, I can't see many managers turning our situation round, there's too much background noise/instability (Sheff W last season, three permanent managers & a caretaker, Richard Curtis' sequel to 4 Weddings). It is asking a lot for someone like Bielik, returning from a second bad injury, to turn around our season single-handedly. 

17 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

I agree that Rooney had 35 games, but we have to remember the background circumstances, the protracted takeover, injury to Bielik, a turning point, the January transfer window.

I think Rooney disappointed as his tenure went on, however. He has shown glimpses as a boss, he seemed to have a better, pragmatic grasp of the division than Cocu, but our end of season run was terrible. However, I think the problems affecting the club go beyond him and we are a club in crisis.

At this point of time, sides in/around us have brought in additions (Huddersfield, Hull, Luton), we haven't addressed on-going issues (contracts), are under an embargo, & could face a points deduction. We finished with 44 points, I think our lowest tally under Clough was 49. The bookies have us at the longest odds I can remember, down with Peterborough & Blackpool at 50-1. Interestingly, Forest have also been similarly quiet in the transfer market.

A lot now depends on variables such as a possible takeover, incoming transfers etc, but at this point of time, if we can avoid relegation, we will be doing well as we're starting from a low base. We were the division's lowest scorers (36) & haven't addressed this issue or brought in more creativity. 

With Rooney dividing opinion (probably reflected in the stands by returning fans), you do wonder what he will gain by staying if the situation remains as it is. If Rooney walks or is removed from his post, I can't see many managers turning our situation round, there's too much background noise/instability (Sheff W last season, three permanent managers & a caretaker, Richard Curtis' sequel to 4 Weddings). It is asking a lot for someone like Bielik, returning from a second bad injury, to turn around our season single-handedly. 

No manager could do better… think the Bowyer chap at Brum turned them around when they looked doomed…

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Got some difficulty understanding this argument. Traditionally when a manager comes in to 'rescue' a team in trouble, they transition the side as quickly as possible to their style to get results. Logically thats what they know will get results. 

Therefore, Big Sam & Pulis would get sides playing direct, physical stuff whereas managers like Redknapp & Burley (when he was here in 02/03) would want a side to get the ball down & play with freedom. They would also continue that style in better times as again, thats what they believe will get results.

The 35 games Rooney had last season equates to just over 75% of a season. At various points we were 8/9 points clear & we still played direct stuff, sat deep & often had conservative team selections. Lets not forget he was scathing about Cocu's tactics so the changes to the side must have been based on how he wanted to play football. Based on the evidence, his default seems to be Gary Rowett style football & I see no reason why that will change next season.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

*yawn*

Birmingham City Squad & Players - Sky Sports Football 

Strikers (8th May)

Lukas Jutkiewicz

Sam Cosgrove

Kerim Mrabti

Rekeem Harper

Scott Hogan

Caolan Boyd-Munce

Keyendrah Simmonds

Same through the rest of the positions.

Yawn alright, what hold on you has Wazza got Macca for you to keep defending the indefensible ? Rooney’s points record compared to Cocu’s is worse, you don’t dispute that do you as that is fact. Putting that to one side just explain what Wazza has improved on the pitch since he has been Manager. Just 4 or 5 bullet points should suffice. Being his biggest fan should be an easy question to answer. Who knows perhaps I will see the light and be converted ?

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yawn alright, what hold on you has Wazza got Macca for you to keep defending the indefensible ? Rooney’s points record compared to Cocu’s is worse, you don’t dispute that do you as that is fact. Putting that to one side just explain what Wazza has improved on the pitch since he has been Manager. Just 4 or 5 bullet points should suffice. Being his biggest fan should be an easy question to answer. Who knows perhaps I will see the light and be converted ?

No you won't.

There's reasons for the way the season went, that doesn't just amount to lack of players on the pitch. But havin few players is a big one. 

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

No manager could do better… think the Bowyer chap at Brum turned them around when they looked doomed…

Yes, I agree, but there was a view that the previous manager was not playing a style suiting the players at his disposal. Bowyer immediately played two up front including Jutkiewicz proven at this level & played in a more direct style. Birmingham also spent money in the window. Having said that, his impact was immediate.

I'm sorry, but I still hold to the argument that few managers will transform this side. This squad is limited and I say this as someone who has been fickle about Rooney, backed him and now remains unconvinced. 

58 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No you won't.

There's reasons for the way the season went, that doesn't just amount to lack of players on the pitch. But havin few players is a big one. 

No you can’t you mean ? Keep it up Macca, the forum just wouldn’t be the same without you ??

Just my opinion, but to me it was blatantly obvious when Stevie Mac stopped having an influence on teams selections and tactics and that was the Cardiff game.

To me that was Rooney trying to be his own man and boy did it backfire.

After that we didnt recover and we stayed up based off that fact other teams kept us up and absolutely nothing that Rooney did.

I am interested to see who he is able to convince to come to the club, players and staff, but tactically i think he is more Phil Brown than Alex Ferguson.

Edited by MackworthRamIsGod

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'd suggest that our style will be identical to how we played this season,with or without new incomings.

What a completely ridiculous thing to say.

If Mac is getting credit for the good performances then he takes criticism for bad performances, simple as that.