Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Suggestion Thread

Kernow

9 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I just don't want characters like Assombalonga and Mendez-Laing in the club

I know what NML has done previously but what is wrong with Assombalonga's character?

Just look at our manager's history, and Lawrence - people make mistakes, footballers are no different.

18 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

What are you expecting bud? Genuine question... 

Not expecting much but that doesn't change my opinion on those players. I want us to be signing players with potential who not only have the ability but have the right character to go on and play at a higher level. Of course sometimes you need the odd experienced pro for free on a 1 or 2 year deal. But those players listed above, no thanks.

21 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I know what NML has done previously but what is wrong with Assombalonga's character?

Just look at our manager's history, and Lawrence - people make mistakes, footballers are no different.

I could be wrong but he just strikes me as a massive ego, probably because of his Forest days.

I know people make mistakes but in our situation I don't think we should take any risks at all.

15 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Not expecting much but that doesn't change my opinion on those players. I want us to be signing players with potential who not only have the ability but have the right character to go on and play at a higher level. Of course sometimes you need the odd experienced pro for free on a 1 or 2 year deal. But those players listed above, no thanks.

You'll be needing to take some punts then mate. Any player even from a lower league who demonstrably shows all those qualities will probably be beyond us. 

Sort of ollie Watkins styleee. 

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Why's that buddy? 

Assombalonga strikes me as a big ego, could be wrong, and his wages will be huge. I'm not sure about Mendez-Laing but his sacking from Cardiff is problem I don't think we need. 

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Boro have released - 

Assombalonga - 28 - Forward - depending on wages I would take him (think he would work well in a front 2 if we were to play that)

M. Johnson - 30 - Winger - don't think he would improve us

Fletcher - 25 - Forward - would have taken him, looks set to join Watford

Archer - 28 - Keeper - has been awful when I have seen him play, don't think I have seen him catch the ball

Mendez-Laing - 29 - Winger - we were meant to be in for him before he joined Boro, I would take him on a free. Would offer us something different, pace and power going forward

None of those really apart from Fletcher, who as you say looks like he’s got a contract.

Assombalonga is a good player but just hasn’t seemed at it for the last year, would be costly and isn’t really effective as a loan striker. If Warnocks happy to let him go then I’d trust that judgement.

Mendez Laing seems to have been asked back to pre season with Boro to see how he does. Looking at their fans views he hasn’t really done much and hasn’t seemed fit enough.

14 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Assombalonga strikes me as a big ego, could be wrong, and his wages will be huge. I'm not sure about Mendez-Laing but his sacking from Cardiff is problem I don't think we need. 

Colin wanted him to stay I thought bud, but on a significant wage cut? Honestly don't know about Assombalonga's character to be fair, just think he could be useful. For clarity, I didn't suggest we should take these guys only that I think they are decent in the context of the Championship and could do a job. I really don't see any of them ending up at Derby though.

8 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Colin wanted him to stay I thought bud, but on a significant wage cut? Honestly don't know about Assombalonga's character to be fair, just think he could be useful. For clarity, I didn't suggest we should take these guys only that I think they are decent in the context of the Championship and could do a job. I really don't see any of them ending up at Derby though.

Assombalonga is a proven championship level centre forward, exactly what we need. I’d take him in a heartbeat. Boro and WBA have now released players, I wonder when we will see the retained list. It’s going to be an interesting summer 

50 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I agree. We are seriously in need of centre-halves. If we don't get Edmundson and/or Clarkey back (plus Mengi), then who. There'll be lots of 'old overpaid strikers' (come home Chrissy :D) knocking about, we really need to get the defence and a Bielik stand-in sorted. 

4 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Assombalonga is a proven championship level centre forward, exactly what we need. I’d take him in a heartbeat. Boro and WBA have now released players, I wonder when we will see the retained list. It’s going to be an interesting summer 

If he's so good why release him?

no player who is on a free will be able to demand high wages in the current climate. If they don't get picked up by a prem club or a relegated team with parachute payments they wont get very high wages elsewhere. So it is down to them dropping their wages demands or sitting around doing nothing like others have had to do such as Sturridge & Huddlestone

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

If he's so good why release him?

No idea, just think he’s the type of player we need, we have to bring in at least 2 proven championship forwards this window . I dont think for 1 min we will get him or anybody at the level we need however as we have no money to pay them. 

45 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

You'll be needing to take some punts then mate. Any player even from a lower league who demonstrably shows all those qualities will probably be beyond us. 

Sort of ollie Watkins styleee. 

We should demand better recruitment then. There are ways to do it without significant funds. 

With how our season went last year and the lack of goals, I dont think we could really turn our nose up at a proven scorer at this level like Assombalonga. Now i'm not saying we will get him or even be in for him but to say you wouldnt want him baffles me.

I dont understand the whole I dont want players because of their past mistakes or their character, if they improve us what does it matter? Like i've said before, players make mistakes. I watched the Alex Ferguson documentary the other day, he speaks about Cantona when he signed him, class player but was a bad character, he still signed him and he was the catalyst for United being the 90s powerhouse that they became.

22 minutes ago, TheAllestreeRam said:

Assombalonga would probably do alright but at his stage in his career and the wage that he would demand, dont we think we could be more creative? 

We could do with signing someone on the way up that could demand a future transfer fee seeing as we are broke.

I think that is what pretty much all clubs hope to do, but the chances are you either go for someone young from a Prem academy or you go for someone who has done it at lower levels but you're unsure will make the step up, both of which are gambles. We did the latter with Marriott and he has done well in very small spells but hardly set the league alight and will probably result in use losing money if we sell him this summer.

Who would you go for that fits the criteria you mentioned?