Too big to go down

EdinRam

Also why do people list Leeds as a big club? And by big I mean listing them with the Villas and Evertons. They've only won one more league title than Derby. I don't be buy the whole 'support' they are a city of 700+k. Wasn't long ago they were getting 17k at home.

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

In what way is Birmingham bigger than Derby? They've no great history of success, and they have a smaller ground with smaller capacity than us in a city with another club that is larger than them. Wednesday are bigger than us yeah. 

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

In what way is Birmingham bigger than Derby? They've no great history of success, and they have a smaller ground with smaller capacity than us in a city with another club that is larger than them. Wednesday are bigger than us yeah. 

Said if they ever got a decent team. They have a much bigger fan base than we would ever have. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Also why do people list Leeds as a big club? And by big I mean listing them with the Villas and Evertons. They've only won one more league title than Derby. I don't be buy the whole 'support' they are a city of 700+k. Wasn't long ago they were getting 17k at home.

Again it's fan base with Leeds. They have a huge support all over the UK (no idea why).  Go in any gift / souvenir shop you will see Leeds mugs/gifts, No Derby County. There's a reason for that, they sell, uness you have someone from Derbyshire in your shop the Rams mug will be there forever

13 minutes ago, popside ossie end popside said:

Again it's fan base with Leeds. They have a huge support all over the UK (no idea why).  Go in any gift / souvenir shop you will see Leeds mugs/gifts, No Derby County. There's a reason for that, they sell, uness you have someone from Derbyshire in your shop the Rams mug will be there forever

Speak to locals in Leeds.

Most of them prefer rugger!

26 minutes ago, popside ossie end popside said:

Said if they ever got a decent team. They have a much bigger fan base than we would ever have. 

Don't know who says that. Villa are the team in Birmingham with a large fan base. I know loads of Villa fans from across West Midlands. Think I've met one Brum fan ever.

Maybe too small to go up? This is the spend by teams in the top flight - I know that many on here will say that you don't get this money till you get there but it's eye watering to look at. Full squad cost this season.

image.thumb.png.80afa5bf30ca9f31c0cd095840ef6088.png

3 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Maybe too small to go up? This is the spend by teams in the top flight - I know that many on here will say that you don't get this money till you get there but it's eye watering to look at. Full squad cost this season.

What would they be worth if they were relegated, how much does it knock off their value?

4 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

On that basis, Leeds have done really well.

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What would they be worth if they were relegated, how much does it knock off their value?

75.36% of year one revenues, a 64.87% reduction on concourse sales, shirt sales down by 58.91%. Average market capitalisation reduced by 45.65% until end of parachute payments, when total reduced value is 51.85% of what it was on the day of relegation.

9 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I like the proper tag. Maybe a mix of big and proper would settle it.

I'd have Arsenal, Man Utd and Lpool in the highest tier.

Big Clubs would be then Newcastle, Everton, City, Villa, Chelsea, West Ham, Spurs, Leeds.

Next tier down is Sunderland, Wednesday, Forest, Us, Wolves, WBA. The group of teams who could make it into the Big Clubs again.

These teams are in a lower tier: Bham, Stoke, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich, Burnley, Portsmouth, Palace, Ipswich, Sheff United, Charlton. Think Leicester have almost done enough recently to get a promotion.

Brighton and Fulham are the current Premier League teams not to pass my Big & Proper club list. They will be gutted.

Leicester have almost done enough recently?! Since we won anything of note they've won the League Cup twice, the Premier league and the Championship and are firmly established in the top reaches of the league. They have a similar sized fanbase and the grounds are roughly the same size. If I were a Foxes fan I'd relegate us and the Dogs to your Brum and Stoke tier. They are so far ahead of us both now and are currently the top Midlands team which makes our plight even more depressing. 

42 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

75.36% of year one revenues, a 64.87% reduction on concourse sales, shirt sales down by 58.91%. Average market capitalisation reduced by 45.65% until end of parachute payments, when total reduced value is 51.85% of what it was on the day of relegation.

Wow. So If Brentford went up c.£20m valued Toney (some say) would be worth (book value) c.£40m in the Prem? 

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Thank you Josh regarding Leeds! They are continuously stated to be a 'Big club'.Yet only 4 or five seasons ago before the bit of an upturn in their fortunes our average attandence was over 29,000...'Big club's Leeds were averaging 21,000.Our LOWEST crowd was 26,000 whilst Leeds were sometimes down to 16-17,000.And Leeds as a city is more than 3 times bigger than Derby.As the biggest one club city in the country Leeds are a terribly supported team.Its about time this myth of them being a massive club is kicked into touch.

2 hours ago, popside ossie end popside said:

Fan base? Really? 5 years ago our average was 29,500.. 'Massive' Leeds was 21,000...Our lowest crowd was 26,000 whilst Leeds was down to 17,000!That was when we were both bang average Championship clubs before Leeds recent upturn.And Leeds is a massive city 3 times the size of Derby...the biggest one club city in the country.What does fan base matter if they don't bother turning up.

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Don't know who says that. Villa are the team in Birmingham with a large fan base. I know loads of Villa fans from across West Midlands. Think I've met one Brum fan ever.

I live in the West Midlands and while you're correct that Villa are far and away the biggest club, a lot of their fanbase comes from outside of Brum across several counties and they also have a lot of support nationally. Blues are pretty much the local team across the south and centre and have a large city presence even though most of them don't go! ? By contrast to you in the 30 odd years I've lived here, I've met loads more Blues fans than Villa. Both teams have great away support but at St Andrews they just don't turn up. 

Edited by Bearwood Ram

16 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

Thank you Josh regarding Leeds! They are continuously stated to be a 'Big club'.Yet only 4 or five seasons ago before the bit of an upturn in their fortunes our average attandence was over 29,000...'Big club's Leeds were averaging 21,000.Our LOWEST crowd was 26,000 whilst Leeds were sometimes down to 16-17,000.And Leeds as a city is more than 3 times bigger than Derby.As the biggest one club city in the country Leeds are a terribly supported team.Its about time this myth of them being a massive club is kicked into touch.

We're Derby County. We aren't Derby City. Comparing city sizes is completely irrelevant to size of support when most of our support doesn't live in the city and I would also suggest Leeds are the same. Leeds have fans all over Yorkshire and whilst they might be the only team in Leeds they have a lot of other rival clubs in very close proximity. They have more fans than us - nothing to be ashamed of, but they've got a bigger population - simple as that. 

If we drop into League 1 or we have a few seasons with the same tripe as we are watching now or we have a Fawaz type owner you will soon change your tune regarding Leeds low number of fans in the ground in recent years. We've had relative success for the last few years which has pulled more fans in to the ground, but you can't compare that to a Leeds side that have been terribly run until recently - we can very easily see our numbers in the ground collapse again in the coming years

15 minutes ago, Bearwood Ram said:

I live in the West Midlands and while you're correct that Villa are far and away the biggest club, a lot of their fanbase comes from outside of Brum across several counties and they also have a lot of support nationally. Blues are pretty much the local team across the south and centre and have a large city presence even though most of them don't go! ? By contrast to you in the 30 odd years I've lived here, I've met loads more Blues fans than Villa. Both teams have great away support but at St Andrews they just don't turn up. 

Interesting stuff. I didn't know there would be so many Blues fans in the centre. Interesting how Villa fans seem to be spread out more, there all the ones I known.

I wonder if anyone is looking at Villa to try and do another City/PSG? Not sure how rich or committed their current owners are.

In the past 50 years twelve teams have been crowned champions of England, just twelve, one of those teams was Derby County, we were champions of England twice ! The size of a team can surely only be measured over the long term, it’s cyclical, sure we can’t compete with the big teams financially but we do have a glorious history, don’t just judge us over the past ten years, and certainly not by this season, give us some credit ! Our time will come again and until it does keep the faith ! 

28095948-8E39-48DA-BCDD-2D2E37D0BA3B.jpeg

1A6ABE14-F1E4-499B-ADBF-FD3097576FE0.jpeg

7C1C2A84-7570-4E84-9421-F55A884DAB6F.jpeg

BAEC1357-FED7-4E73-A043-D8BF829C67D8.jpeg

59546F89-50B6-4B30-8A9C-D5E65D013A7B.jpeg

FEF674B7-6280-4AB3-9A38-F7507FA058A8.jpeg

E423BA60-56A6-4DEA-AA93-4FFF56CC89D6.jpeg

8267D8B4-A120-4FD4-9BCA-512721506270.jpeg

EF0709A7-5767-49BB-B858-FEBDA2559049.jpeg

F866FB73-484F-496D-8F5D-16FE1AF28BE2.jpeg

243CBAD2-8639-4819-B5E9-D4A69E186DDB.jpeg

DF9A4129-CF3E-40F3-97D8-DD2765F4E313.jpeg

35B8C7BD-17C3-48BB-8F79-6B426F0A0B61.jpeg

820090F1-2306-49B4-8027-F3EC731D2547.jpeg

8B88381B-EC47-4C0A-9A84-FECA2EF89B8D.jpeg

4513E014-01CB-4C53-BD8C-3E4FB6D81825.jpeg

F02875AB-915A-4D7F-B1D9-79D07F7C2EB9.jpeg

F5E9E83C-C7FE-4F7E-B126-0E60C4A30446.jpeg

B1959907-C4E9-4E56-80D5-B35D59C8669D.jpeg

600884BF-F3DD-4188-BEFC-F938BD4145FE.jpeg

E13AFE76-DD23-4E63-96C0-C5982D17471C.jpeg

7514EAEA-59AB-45F7-8709-0328FB6E29FE.jpeg

Are we a big club by our history: Arguably yes

Are we a big club by home attendance: Possibly

Are we a big club by away attendance: No

Are we a big club regards finances: No

Are we a big club regards facilities: Yes

Are we a big club by the amount our fans moan and whinge: Without a doubt

Are we too big to go down: Absolutely not.