Too big to go down

EdinRam

1 hour ago, Brammie Steve said:

A team is as big as its last result.

By this yardstick we are a very small club indeed.

Much too small to stay up I'd have to say.

We need Steve McQueen's motorbike and even then he didn't make it!

(We'll have a better idea after Luton play tonight!)

It's the cooler for us.

1 hour ago, EdinRam said:

Heard this quite a bit in forums and WhatsApp groups, what category do we sit in? We haven't been a premier league side in years and I don't really see us as a big club, on a par with Preston I'd say. If I were to break down the championship I'd put clubs of size in thirds of pedigree 

Top third - 

Forest (I know)

Boro 

Norwich 

Watford 

Blackburn 

Sheff wed

Qpr 

Brum 

Middle third - 

Derby 

Preston 

Stoke 

Coventry 

Millwall 

Cardiff 

Swansea 

Reading 

Bottom third - 

Rotherham 

Bristol 

Luton 

Wycombe 

Barnsley 

Bournemouth 

Brentford

Huddersfield 

Clearly a WUM. Question is who do you support then? Honestly? Given Forest are top of your list I would guess you’re a red dog. 

No club is too big to go down as we’re probably about to find out ourselves but I would argue we are the biggest club in that entire list

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

We currently remind me of Sunderland (arguably a similar/biggger club than us) when they fell through the leagues (except we have worse players than they did).

At the time I really couldn't understand what was going on with them - they got relegated from the PL and just carried on downwards even though they kept a significant number of their better players. We played them towards the end of the season when they dropped down to League One and their players looked very similar to our current team - no fight, no bottle and a resigned look as if they knew they were heading down.....

My gut feel is that Rotherham will pull together and get the results they need (they at least seem to be fighting) - leaving both us and another 'big club' in Shef Weds to spend some time in the 3rd tier.....

They beat us  4-1 at PP.... Hardly lacking fight and bottle. They showed more fight than our sorry lot I'm afraid.

Edited by 66DegreesNorth

We are the creators of our own downfall and the table doesn't lie. Considering Rotherham are where they are due to their ability as a relatively small club working hard, Sheffield due to points deduction we probably out of all the bottom clubs deserve relegation. We have  the resources, training facilities have international players , a wealth of academy players high profile managers and yet continue to implode. I hope we manage to escape relegation if only it enables a favourable take over and some positivity for the club. As regards the majority of the players, coaches and management. They have shown their worth and hopefully won't be apart of the future.

Should Rotherham or Sheffield manage to stay up good luck to them,they won't have relegated us we would have managed that epic feat by ourselves due to mismanagement,poor professionalism from players and shear incompetence by most at DCFC.

12 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Clearly a WUM. Question is who do you support then? Honestly? Given Forest are top of your list I would guess you’re a red dog. 

No club is too big to go down as we’re probably about to find out ourselves but I would argue we are the biggest club in that entire list

its Boro mate, that team were all the fans look like red seats on a match day run by a Leo Sayer impersonator. Second in the list. Won't want to make it obvious.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I'm a Derby fan, I wouldn't deny how big a club are purely on rivalry, they won the European Cup. A sleeping giant. Its just a good job they are poo 

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

its Boro mate, that team were all the fans look like red seats on a match day run by a Leo Sayer impersonator. Second in the list. Won't want to make it obvious.

Think he's given us a clue with the team at the bottom of his 'list'. Huddersfield (or as they're known in these parts 'dog-botherers') are clearly decent sized & hence you'd need a serious dislike of them to put them as smallest in the Championship

Suspect he's Leeds & 'this time of year' has probably brought back some painful memories ?

4 hours ago, EdinRam said:

Heard this quite a bit in forums and WhatsApp groups, what category do we sit in? We haven't been a premier league side in years and I don't really see us as a big club, on a par with Preston I'd say. If I were to break down the championship I'd put clubs of size in thirds of pedigree 

Top third - 

Forest (I know)

Boro 

Norwich 

Watford 

Blackburn 

Sheff wed

Qpr 

Brum 

Middle third - 

Derby 

Preston 

Stoke 

Coventry 

Millwall 

Cardiff 

Swansea 

Reading 

Bottom third - 

Rotherham 

Bristol 

Luton 

Wycombe 

Barnsley 

Bournemouth 

Brentford

Huddersfield 

How are Forest and QPR a whole tier higher?? What is this

1 hour ago, EdinRam said:

I'm a Derby fan, I wouldn't deny how big a club are purely on rivalry, they won the European Cup. A sleeping giant. Its just a good job they are poo 

I think there is confusion here between successful and big, there may be some overlap but big club does for me seem to be more about fanbase, possibly profile. Trophies won in history doesn't define size mainly, mainly success

Leeds were in League One for a number of years and they’re undisputedly bigger than us. I assume you mean by bigger, you mean ‘fan reach’ and in terms of monetising that into revenue? 

Sunderland and Southampton have been relegated with bigger fan reach too. Not to mention: Leicester, Forest and Wednesday who have all seen the third tier of English football in the last 20 years. All clubs at least on a similar scale to us. 

We will see how truly big we are when we land in League One that’s for sure. We will do incredibly well to keep our attendances above 20k like Leicester, Forest, Leeds and Sunderland managed to achieve. 

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

I mean ''too big to go down'' is garbage, but that list is funny. Norwich, Watford, QPR and Birmingham aren't ''bigger'' clubs than Derby. Sheffield Wednesday are bigger than Boro and probably Forest too. It's a futile argument though. How can Huddersfield be smaller than Luton or Wycombe? 

Actual fan pulling power if either ever got a decent team Sheff Wed and Birmingham bigger clubs.  Watford????  

Just now, popside ossie end popside said:

Actual fan pulling power if either ever got a decent team Sheff Wed and Birmingham bigger clubs.  Watford????  

In what way is Birmingham bigger than Derby? They've no great history of success, and they have a smaller ground with smaller capacity than us in a city with another club that is larger than them. Wednesday are bigger than us yeah.