Too big to go down

EdinRam

Heard this quite a bit in forums and WhatsApp groups, what category do we sit in? We haven't been a premier league side in years and I don't really see us as a big club, on a par with Preston I'd say. If I were to break down the championship I'd put clubs of size in thirds of pedigree 

Top third - 

Forest (I know)

Boro 

Norwich 

Watford 

Blackburn 

Sheff wed

Qpr 

Brum 

Middle third - 

Derby 

Preston 

Stoke 

Coventry 

Millwall 

Cardiff 

Swansea 

Reading 

Bottom third - 

Rotherham 

Bristol 

Luton 

Wycombe 

Barnsley 

Bournemouth 

Brentford

Huddersfield 

Ah the age old big club argument.

All depends what you base it on. In terms of success (recent success) there aren’t many if any big clubs in the championship based on that - Swansea and brum are the latest to actually bring home some silverware I’d believe. If you base it though on tradition, league titles, cup finals, European nights, fanbase, facilities, potential etc. I don’t think you can look past Derby, Forest and sheffield wednesday being the biggest three clubs in the championship. 

Anyhow at the end of the day football is about the team on the pitch that season not what’s gone before and no club is too big to go down if they have got it as wrong on the pitch as Derby has this season. 

A team is as big as its last result.

By this yardstick we are a very small club indeed.

Much too small to stay up I'd have to say.

We need Steve McQueen's motorbike and even then he didn't make it!

(We'll have a better idea after Luton play tonight!)

6 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Ah the age old big club argument.

All depends what you base it on. In terms of success (recent success) there aren’t many if any big clubs in the championship based on that - Swansea and brum are the latest to actually bring home some silverware I’d believe. If you base it though on tradition, league titles, cup finals, European nights, fanbase, facilities, potential etc. I don’t think you can look past Derby, Forest and sheffield wednesday being the biggest three clubs in the championship. 

Anyhow at the end of the day football is about the team on the pitch that season not what’s gone before and no club is too big to go down if they have got it as wrong on the pitch as Derby has this season. 

My list is more probably due to my age I was born in 1990

We currently remind me of Sunderland (arguably a similar/biggger club than us) when they fell through the leagues (except we have worse players than they did).

At the time I really couldn't understand what was going on with them - they got relegated from the PL and just carried on downwards even though they kept a significant number of their better players. We played them towards the end of the season when they dropped down to League One and their players looked very similar to our current team - no fight, no bottle and a resigned look as if they knew they were heading down.....

My gut feel is that Rotherham will pull together and get the results they need (they at least seem to be fighting) - leaving both us and another 'big club' in Shef Weds to spend some time in the 3rd tier.....

6 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

We currently remind me of Sunderland (arguably a similar/biggger club than us) when they fell through the leagues (except we have worse players than they did).

At the time I really couldn't understand what was going on with them - they got relegated from the PL and just carried on downwards even though they kept a significant number of their better players. We played them towards the end of the season when they dropped down to League One and their players looked very similar to our current team - no fight, no bottle and a resigned look as if they knew they were heading down.....

My gut feel is that Rotherham will pull together and get the results they need (they at least seem to be fighting) - leaving both us and another 'big club' in Shef Weds to spend some time in the 3rd tier.....

Didn't they beat us like 4-1 that game

4 minutes ago, EdinRam said:

Didn't they beat us like 4-1 that game

Probably - I can't normally remember who we played last week, never mind what the score was.....I still think there are a lot of similarities between the clubs and their fans certainly thought they were too big to go down...

Edited by Gaspode

41 minutes ago, EdinRam said:

Heard this quite a bit in forums and WhatsApp groups, what category do we sit in? We haven't been a premier league side in years and

42 minutes ago, EdinRam said:

Heard this quite a bit in forums and WhatsApp groups, what category do we sit in? We haven't been a premier league side in years and I don't really see us as a big club, on a par with Preston I'd say. If I were to break down the championship I'd put clubs of size in thirds of pedigree 

Top third - 

Forest (I know)

Boro 

Norwich 

Watford 

Blackburn 

Sheff wed

Qpr 

Brum 

Middle third - 

Derby 

Preston 

Stoke 

Coventry 

Millwall 

Cardiff 

Swansea 

Reading 

Bottom third - 

Rotherham 

Bristol 

Luton 

Wycombe 

Barnsley 

Bournemouth 

Brentford

Huddersfield 

If I were to break down the championship I'd put clubs of size in thirds of pedigree 

Top third - 

Forest (I know)

Boro 

Norwich 

Watford 

Blackburn 

Sheff wed

Qpr 

Brum 

Middle third - 

Derby 

Preston 

Stoke 

Coventry 

Millwall 

Cardiff 

Swansea 

Reading 

Bottom third - 

Rotherham 

Bristol 

Luton 

Wycombe 

Barnsley 

Bournemouth 

Brentford

Huddersfield 

Jesus QPR, Watford, Boro. Big as Preston. That's the worst list I've ever seen. What were you doing when you put this together. Use the list to roll another one.?

image.png.2f1a0eaa37f833fee19a6f415cc63418.png

Aye, I was going to post I thought we’d be in the top 20 clubs in the country. 24Charlie’s post above confirm my thoughts on that.

But too big to go down ?...don’t kid yourself. I think if we stay up it’ll be due to a huge slice of luck rather than us earning it although I appreciate some might argue where you finish after 46 games is where you deserve to finish.

No clubs too big to go down, but we’re certainly a well followed team that has potential to be a lot bigger than we are with the right owners. 

Sure I read something a while ago that the amount of fans who follow the club per people living in the city we were one of the best supported city’s in the country? 

1 hour ago, EdinRam said:

Top third - 

Forest (I know)

Boro 

Norwich 

Watford 

Blackburn 

Sheff wed

Qpr 

Brum 

Middle third - 

Derby 

Preston 

Stoke 

Coventry 

Millwall 

Cardiff 

Swansea 

Reading 

Bottom third - 

Rotherham 

Bristol 

Luton 

Wycombe 

Barnsley 

Bournemouth 

Brentford

Huddersfield 

? Nice WUM mate. There's no sane Derby fan (or fan anywhere else) that would believe Derby are a smaller club than QPR, Watford or Blackburn. 

Not especially bothered how 'big' rival fans think we are - the facts are there in terms of our support & history but if you're going to troll, at least be subtle ?

46 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

We currently remind me of Sunderland <snip>. We played them towards the end of the season when they dropped down to League One and their players looked very similar to our current team - no fight, no bottle and a resigned look as if they knew they were heading down.....

You mean when they won 4-1? I'd like to see us have as little fight as that on Saturday.