Is this our worst ever side ?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Warwick Ram said:

The vast majority of these players won’t know anything about our history. Yes, we are one of the founding members of the football but most fans don’t know this. Our FA cup win came 75 years ago and our last league title win came over 40 years ago. None of these players were even born then. The majority of footballers now only see what has happened during the premier league era i.e. 1992 on wards. Anything pre this doesn’t exist to them.

Agreed. And even if they did know about our history, you wouldn’t really expect them pull on a Rams shirt with any extra pride or passion because of it.

31 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Who remembers getting hit for six at Coventry and seeing our own fans fighting each other in the stands?

Which time are you talking about, it happened twice? I remember paying £10 to watch it on the beamback at Pride Park to endure fifteen minutes of a camera pointed at a corner flag before giving up. Stern John got a hat trick I believe.

Really, it has been worse. I would say our side under Peter Taylor at the butt end of the old second division was worse than this one. That was horrid, horrid, horrid.

Individually on paper we have good enough players to stay in the division, as a lot of you have mentioned we have international players. The problem is that we're not a team, we don't play as a team. The players you think would step up haven't stepped up. 

Worst in terms of being a 'team' at least the Premiership 11 point squad tried it's best and were just massively lacking in quality. This squad should be mid-table at least but a complete lack of passion for the job, the club, the fans, and each other makes this team the worst 'team' I have seen in 30+ seasons

27 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

So you're seriously saying MM and Pickering were worse owners than the 3 amigos?

I'm suggesting it's not as straightforward a decision as it seems, but mostly it'll come down to how Morris leaves us. Pickering wouldn't sell out to a 'dream team' and allowed the 3 Amigos in. Who is Morris selling us to after basically financially draining the Club?

15 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Which time are you talking about, it happened twice? I remember paying £10 to watch it on the beamback at Pride Park to endure fifteen minutes of a camera pointed at a corner flag before giving up. Stern John got a hat trick I believe.

Really, it has been worse. I would say our side under Peter Taylor at the butt end of the old second division was worse than this one. That was horrid, horrid, horrid.

I was there when Phil Brown got that horrendous abuse...

As a collective team, the worst I've ever known (since 1987). I've seen worse collections of players, most notably 02-04 when we were seriously flirting with relegation, the 05/06 team which Westley rescued after the Phil Brown experiment & also the first couple of seasons under Clough when he was stabilising the mess from Jewell.

There is some serious talent in this squad...we finished 10th last year which is a more accurate reflection of our 'quality' when all firing & save for Martin (although Kazim has been good overall), there's been no noticeable downturn in quality. I dont accept a squad with Lawrence, Sibley, Jozwiak and quality loans like Clarke, Roberts & Edmundson should be anywhere near this level. Waghorn, Marshall & Byrne have all performed well at this level previously. Bird & Knight were the drivers of our renaissance just over a year ago...they now look lost & bereft of confidence.

The key problem is the manager. He is basically a 2021 version of Phil Brown. Big ego, terrible football, bizarre decisions & little affection for the club. 

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Nah. We had Burley then. Who let the club go into receivership?

Wiki: "The club was put into receivership then sold in October 2003 for £3 to a group led by Jeremy Keith. After finishing 20th in the 2003–04 season, a dramatic improvement in the 2004–05 season saw Derby finish fourth in the Championship, qualifying for a promotion play-off spot, though they lost in the semi-finals to Preston North End. Soon afterwards, Burley resigned citing differences between himself and the board. He was replaced by Bolton Wanderers first team coach Phil Brown. In January 2006, Brown was sacked after a poor run of results. Terry Westley, the academy coach at the time, took over first-team duties until the end of the season and saved Derby from relegation."

Plus:

Wiki: "The following season local-businessman Mel Morris assume ownership of the club. Morris initially oversaw a level of spending unprecedented in Derby's history, breaking the club's transfer record four times in his first three years, but also oversaw an equally unprecedented managerial turnover as he went through nine managers in five-and-a-half years between June 2015 and January 2021."

Owners who went on to be convicted of fraud, lost a good manager and replaced him with Phil Brown. Oh and sold the club's star asset without telling the manager.

And left the club in a parlous state.

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Maybe it felt worse being there. Maybe if there were no fans in stadiums, those times wouldn’t have felt so harsh.

It was the time at the Ricoh when Pesch scored inside the first minute or two. Danny Graham was up front. The Kevin Poole and Dean Holdsworth years. Stern John scored two for Coventry after being on loan with us earlier in the season.

Everyone remembers either that game or Leicester at home when Brown and Stern John were booed to the high heavens.

23 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

The key problem is the manager. He is basically a 2021 version of Phil Brown. Big ego, terrible football, bizarre decisions & little affection for the club. 

Which manager and who appointed him? 

The squad is at the level it deserves. And to compare Colin with Martin is massively amusing. Although I am a fan of Colin's, he's been better than I believed and without him we'd have been relegated by now.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The squad is at the level it deserves. And to compare Colin with Martin is massively amusing. Although I am a fan of Colin's, he's been better than I believed and without him we'd have been relegated by now.

do you not think CKR contributes to our hoofball style though? he is constantly yelling for long balls and offers very little movement.

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

do you not think CKR contributes to our hoofball style though? he is constantly yelling for long balls and offers very little movement.

It hardly matters as there are so very few options of players showing signs of scoring. Is Bielik up the top of our 'scoring charts'? I was just saying to someone, when is the last time you remember Waghorn looking like scoring - we'd watched Defoe stick in another for Rangers.

42 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

As a collective team, the worst I've ever known (since 1987). I've seen worse collections of players, most notably 02-04 when we were seriously flirting with relegation, the 05/06 team which Westley rescued after the Phil Brown experiment & also the first couple of seasons under Clough when he was stabilising the mess from Jewell.

There is some serious talent in this squad...we finished 10th last year which is a more accurate reflection of our 'quality' when all firing & save for Martin (although Kazim has been good overall), there's been no noticeable downturn in quality. I dont accept a squad with Lawrence, Sibley, Jozwiak and quality loans like Clarke, Roberts & Edmundson should be anywhere near this level. Waghorn, Marshall & Byrne have all performed well at this level previously. Bird & Knight were the drivers of our renaissance just over a year ago...they now look lost & bereft of confidence.

Appointing a novice Manager at the time he did must rank as one of Mel’s most ludicrous, ill-thought out decisions during his tenure. In some ways it’s not Wazza’s fault that he was appointed to a job he just wasn’t equipped or experienced to do ?

3 hours ago, YouRams said:

When everything’s going our way you see effort, as soon as we concede the majority go hiding, conveniently finding spaces they can’t receive the ball, I’d say the only consistent players for effort are Byrne & Shinnie. 

That’s not effort, that’s hiding due to a total lack of confidence 

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No point debating about the manager with you Roy.

You've openly said you relish Rooney's celebrity status which is probably the very last quality I would look for in a manager. We will never agree on Cocu or Rooney's role in undermining him with his unprofessionalism. And re Mel, presumably you would applaud him for giving Rooney the gig?

Re Kazim, I accepted Martin was superior so between that & your admission that he's surprised you & has been a major boost in our fight to stay up, we probably agree there.

Archived