Rooney Interviews

mwram1973

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

He's really only given one interview. It is then repeated the next time ad nauseum.

To be fair what could he say?

"I'm out of my depth" might not inspire confidence. 

Fair interview, says all he can. Not been good enough, takes responsibility, need to win now.

I always wonder about that phrase, "I take full responsibility". I'm not even talking about Rooney specifically; lots of managers use it. But what does that actually mean? You'll resign? You won't accept a pay off if sacked? You won't take your (large) salary until the team starts winning again? In most other 'real world' jobs people really do have to take responsibility for poor performance, and there can be serious career and financial consequences if they do. I wish a journalist would sometimes ask for clarification of what they mean, because otherwise it can sound like just another football cliché.

3 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

I always wonder about that phrase, "I take full responsibility". I'm not even talking about Rooney specifically; lots of managers use it. But what does that actually mean? You'll resign? You won't accept a pay off if sacked? You won't take your (large) salary until the team starts winning again? In most other 'real world' jobs people really do have to take responsibility for poor performance, and there can be serious career and financial consequences if they do. I wish a journalist would sometimes ask for clarification of what they mean, because otherwise it can sound like just another football cliché.

I know what you mean - I hate cliches. I cliche to me is like a red rag to a bull.

17 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

Same here. All over politics too. It's become one of those utterly meaningless phrases to placate criticism.

One thing I do like about Rooney is his rock solid belief that we will survive this - c'mon, even those who are against him can see that has to be a positive. But, and it's one of my bigger buts about Rooney, is that he so often backs himself into a corner with that stone cold view. For example, today he says "You'll see a performance a million miles away from Tuesday". What if we don't? What happens if it is only a hundred thousand miles away from Tuesday? He's setting himself up to fail at a time when he should be eeking out every small victory he can find, even in the most dire of situations (of which, we all recognise) this is one.

1 minute ago, BaaLocks said:

One thing I do like about Rooney is his rock solid belief that we will survive this - c'mon, even those who are against him can see that has to be a positive. But, and it's one of my bigger buts about Rooney, is that he so often backs himself into a corner with that stone cold view. For example, today he says "You'll see a performance a million miles away from Tuesday". What if we don't? What happens if it is only a hundred thousand miles away from Tuesday? He's setting himself up to fail at a time when he should be eeking out every small victory he can find, even in the most dire of situations (of which, we all recognise) this is one.

I don't know. I see what you're saying. Is it the way 'elite athletes' (as Rooney once was) approach things. If you allow doubt you encourage it? *shrug*

3 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It might just be me but I always worry when someone shows that level of belief not exhibiting or outlining a scintilla of doubt. Typically, i find that lack of doubt in common with those who don't fully comprehend or understand the realities of what they are engaging in. But, I fully recognise that just might be me because I am naturally quite a doubtful, anxious person.. other people are more confident and sure of themselves and others I guess. But for the first time against Preston post match it broke through and he looked shaken to his core- kind of made me think he wasn't expecting what happened and it had dawned on him relegation is a distinct possibility. 

5 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

It might just be me but I always worry when someone shows that level of belief not exhibiting or outlining a scintilla of doubt. Typically, i find that lack of doubt in common with those who don't fully comprehend or understand the realities of what they are engaging in. But, I fully recognise that just might be me because I am naturally quite a doubtful, anxious person.. other people are more confident and sure of themselves and others I guess. But for the first time against Preston post match it broke through and he looked shaken to his core- kind of made me think he wasn't expecting what happened and it had dawned on him relegation is a distinct possibility. 

He sounded like someone so backed into a corner that he has no other choice but to keep repeating his mantra,partly to try and convince himself.

I found the interview excruciatingly difficult to watch,it seemed so false.

7 hours ago, GboroRam said:

To be fair what could he say?

"I'm out of my depth" might not inspire confidence. 

Fair interview, says all he can. Not been good enough, takes responsibility, need to win now.

What can any manager say really? There is so much low brow media coverage of football these days. I really can't remember the last time a manager (or player) said anything original or enlightening*. Just a load of regurgitated cliches and bad grammar. 

* actually it was probably a Nigel Pearson interview ?

12 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Just listen to any of the previous few interviews: "must win game."

How many times has he says that?

I hate the phrase: "Must-win game"

I missed the interview before the PNE game that had been derided so much - does anyone have a link.

I've always quite liked his interviews, so I am wondering if they have got worse recently, or if it's just that I am too simple, and don't notice the rubbish that he is saying.

Archived