Rooney Interviews

mwram1973

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

It might just be me but I always worry when someone shows that level of belief not exhibiting or outlining a scintilla of doubt. Typically, i find that lack of doubt in common with those who don't fully comprehend or understand the realities of what they are engaging in. But, I fully recognise that just might be me because I am naturally quite a doubtful, anxious person.. other people are more confident and sure of themselves and others I guess. But for the first time against Preston post match it broke through and he looked shaken to his core- kind of made me think he wasn't expecting what happened and it had dawned on him relegation is a distinct possibility. 

I agree, but it's all in the wording. "I will not allow this team to perform again like we did against Preston" is a strong statement, full of commitment but one that is then hard to be nailed to a wall over. "The next performance will be a million miles from what you saw against Preston" is so open to interpretation and challenge that I think it's a bit misguided. All I am saying is that he maybe needs a bit of PR counselling - just to hone his wording a little. And, like anything in life, when the pressure in on his weaknesses in this area will come more and more to the fore. BTW - I agree, I like his commitment, his desire to nail his colours to the mast but I would just like him to choose his words in a way that doesn't set himself up.

1 minute ago, BaaLocks said:

I agree, but it's all in the wording. "I will not allow this team to perform again like we did against Preston" is a strong statement, full of commitment but one that is then hard to be nailed to a wall over. "The next performance will be a million miles from what you saw against Preston" is so open to interpretation and challenge that I think it's a bit misguided. All I am saying is that he maybe needs a bit of PR counselling - just to hone his wording a little. And, like anything in life, when the pressure in on his weaknesses in this area will come more and more to the fore. BTW - I agree, I like his commitment, his desire to nail his colours to the mast but I would just like him to choose his words in a way that doesn't set himself up.

Is it that different though? "I will not allow this team to perform again like we did against Preston", and  "The next performance will be a million miles from what you saw against Preston" will result in the same derision if we get exactly the same. The same performance and result will only call (rightly) for immediate dismissal, an improvement will allow him a stay of execution until the next game at minimum.

1 hour ago, desirelines said:

Had anyone noticed that in his interviews with the press Rooney has this strange habit of laughing when answering certain questions? Quite odd. 

It's just a mannerism. Most of us have them when speaking publicly (ummm,  error, like I say,  I always say etc). 

2 hours ago, desirelines said:

Had anyone noticed that in his interviews with the press Rooney has this strange habit of laughing when answering certain questions? Quite odd. 

You think that’s bad? Check this thread on Lampard! Some gold videos in the replies.

6 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

The was a posr match interview with Paul Clement and @Owen87ITK. We'd just lost and played really badly, with almost every pass being either sideways or back. Owen asked him if he was frustrated with that and he said something like it's better to play like that than risk losing the ball by playing it forwards. Owen even sounded amazed.

It was really enlightening as it showed that the garbage on the pitch was very much the fault of the manager. He was gone very shortly afterwards. 

You have a much better memory than me ?

On 24/04/2021 at 09:15, CornwallRam said:

The was a posr match interview with Paul Clement and @Owen87ITK. We'd just lost and played really badly, with almost every pass being either sideways or back. Owen asked him if he was frustrated with that and he said something like it's better to play like that than risk losing the ball by playing it forwards. Owen even sounded amazed.

It was really enlightening as it showed that the garbage on the pitch was very much the fault of the manager. He was gone very shortly afterwards. 

Yes, I think I vaguely remember those pearls of football wisdom from Clement. 

On 24/04/2021 at 14:36, Owen87ITK said:

You have a much better memory than me ?

1 hour ago, Yani P said:

And he got us top of the table ?

Sacked when we dropped down to 5th wasn’t he.......Mel doesn’t hang around sacking Managers who fail like that ?

Archived