Rip Prince Phillip.

Rev

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

The BBC may have been pushed into this by certain forces. They can keep the license fee as long as they become more of a propaganda channel.

Well they have had some 'appointments' at the top recently to ensure they stay 'on message' and cancel any contentious programmes. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

It's beyond ridiculous. It's obviously sad news for many people, but there's a difference between some respectful programming for those who are interested, and going full North Korea. They just need the grief-stricken front woman to top it off 

3000.jpg

If she's anything like me she's grief stricken because she's missed the Masterchef Final and Gardeners World

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Understand that it's an event significant enough to warrant major (which at the moment means continuous) coverage on principal terrestrial channels BBC 1, itv an so on. 

But is there really any need to virtually shut down the BBC TV network...... Channels 1 and 2 have 24 hour coverage of flowers wilting on the Buckingham Palace pavement and BBC 4 has been suspended completely. 

Does seem to be a bit ott in my view. 

4 weeks of solemn music and weeping is too much. 

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

I always feel a bit queasy when anyone gets giddy over the Royals.

Sorry, but i don’t understand the mentality at all.

Good for you. Couldn't you have saved that for a thread that wasn't about a death?

53 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Good for you. Couldn't you have saved that for a thread that wasn't about a death?

Why should I?

it wasn’t disrespectful to any individual. 

it amuses me that you are bothered though, ?

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Why should I?

Out of respect? The topic of conversation is a fine one, maybe don't discuss it on a thread in remembrance of somebody who died today, it's classless, in my opinion. 

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Why should I?

Why should you? To be respectful to those that are saddened by the death.

This really isn’t the time to discuss opinions on the Royal Family.

Have a word with yourself.

Well Nicholas Witchell is getting his overtime in.

RIP and all that but the coverage is just nauseating. 

Plus I find it slightly macabre that the programming has obviously been produced for months/years. It’s like they’re just sat waiting to press play when the time comes. 

still, it’ll give them days full of “breaking news” banner content, so it’s not all bad. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

Why should you? To be respectful to those that are saddened by the death.

This really isn’t the time to discuss opinions on the Royal Family.

Have a word with yourself.

Delete the post then 

i couldn’t care less

Not really a royalist tbh but i feel for the queen.  i know duty comes first but having spent that long together now with Covid she cant go about doing a lot of her duty , i am wondering the impact on her willingness to carry on.i remember my parents having spent a lifetime together when the first one went, the one that remained lost that spark and seemed to get older faster.

He seemed a decent bloke said it as it is and that makes a refreshing change in my book.

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Delete the post then 

i couldn’t care less

In your own words, why should I?

If I deleted everything I didn’t agree with, we would see a lot less posts on the forum. As far as I can see it’s not offensive, just disrespectful.

You say you couldn’t care less, then why post? I just don’t understand the mentality. 

We have had many topics on this forum over the years where people have died, from musicians, film stars, ex footballers, many which I really didn’t affect me, but never did I feel the need to come on to those threads to post “I’ve never understood why people like X”.

It’s just being respectful, might only be a post on a forum but if people choose to use this platform to say RIP, stand back and let them be if you couldn’t care less.

Or don’t, just expect to receive replies like this when it happens. Your choice.

I think its a really sad day for the country and whilst I've barely watched any of it the wall to wall coverage kinda makes you proud to be British. 

Regardless of what you think of the Royals Prince Philip was apparently one of the more down to earth members and certainly one of the hardest working - working well into his 90s completing over 22k public engagments, an age at which I will have hopefully had my feet up for 40 years! 

Personally I'm no Royalist, most of the time what they get up to barely registers but I am glad they exist as an institution and I think that we are far better for having them.  Even if I felt the complete opposite, a 90+yo woman has lost a devoted husband of 70+ years whilst other family members have lost their Dad, Grandad, Great Grandad etc - some of the stuff I've had the misfortune to read on social media is truly heartless ? 

RIP

11 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Understand that it's an event significant enough to warrant major (which at the moment means continuous) coverage on principal terrestrial channels BBC 1, itv an so on. 

But is there really any need to virtually shut down the BBC TV network...... Channels 1 and 2 have 24 hour coverage of flowers wilting on the Buckingham Palace pavement and BBC 4 has been suspended completely. 

Does seem to be a bit ott in my view. 

I turned on Radio Derby (or rather I turned on the radio that my wife had left turned to RD) - they’d swapped to a national broadcast which seemed to go on all day - even their hourly news broadcast was exclusively about Prince Philip. It’s a big story and required significant coverage but it seems that according to the BBC it was the only thing that happened anywhere in the world yesterday.....

His passing won't particularly affect me in any way, and my "knowledge" of the guy is minimal, but I have to say, reading some of his more famous quotes this morning has brought a smile to my face... rightly or wrongly!

I won't list them (as tempted as I am) as I'm sure each and every one of them will offend someone, somewhere!

For those quotes alone, he gets my respect at least, and the Queen and family get my commiserations, because hey, it's a death, and death affects families, who ever they are.

RIP Sir... and thanks for bringing a smile to my face this morning.

xxx

20 hours ago, RebelScum said:

A genuinely top-guy! When I was on my first tour of Afghan my wife was invited to meet him, she was very nervous and took a great deal of persuading to go. She said that he walked up to her and said something to immediately put her at ease - these are what his infamous 'gaffs' were done for.

RIP x

So when he told a Bangladeshi kid he looked like he was on drugs, a 13 year old who wanted to become an astronaut that he needed to lose some weight, the president of an African country who was in traditional robes that he looked ready for bed,  when he asked a Scottish driving instructor 'how do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test', when he asked a Birmingham born black MP which exotic part of the world he came from, when he told British students if they stayed in China too long they'd turn slitty-eyed, and when he asked an Aboriginal leader if they still threw spears at each other he was just to put them at ease was he?

And btw, there are dozens more like that.

It's impossible not to admire the guys dedication to the Queen and the country, but similarly, it's impossible (unless you just bury your head in the sand) to ignore that he was clearly racist.

3812AC76-F3B0-4B1F-A658-0B36BF70146C.thumb.jpeg.f66cf4a9da3244a45985a6304499b244.jpeg

In 1961 the Duke became the first president of the World Wildlife Fund UK.

pictured here the same year dressed in a safari suit stood next to the 8ft tiger he shot on a three-day hunt.The Duke of Edinburgh also killed a crocodile and six mountain sheep.

1 minute ago, RamNut said:

3812AC76-F3B0-4B1F-A658-0B36BF70146C.thumb.jpeg.f66cf4a9da3244a45985a6304499b244.jpeg

In 1961 the Duke became the first president of the World Wildlife Fund UK.

pictured here the same year dressed in a safari suit stood next to the 8ft tiger he shot on a three-day hunt.The Duke of Edinburgh also killed a crocodile and six mountain sheep.

That was back in the 60s though. We were all going round shooting tigers then whilst president of a wildlife conservation charity.

Archived