Rip Prince Phillip.

Rev

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

That was back in the 60s though. We were all going round shooting tigers then whilst president of a wildlife conservation charity.

I am conflicted when we judge actions from years ago with how we would judge them now.

I'll not hijack the thread though and instead go back to watching a fascinating real life documentary on Netflix called The Crown.

That way I can comment in the future from a position of authority.

I am surprised they had a camera crew in with old Sir Winston when he passed away, but glad we got to see the last breath of a great (if considerably taller than the history books would have you believe) man.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I am conflicted when we judge actions from years ago with how we would judge them now.

I'll not hijack the thread though and instead go back to watching a fascinating real life documentary on Netflix called The Crown.

That way I can comment in the future from a position of authority.

I am surprised they had a camera crew in with old Sir Winston when he passed away, but glad we got to see the last breath of a great (if considerably taller than the history books would have you believe) man.

Fair enough point, although it sounds like the tiger shooting was a controversial act back in the 60s.

Talking of Churchill, many people today put his racism down to the attitudes of the day, even though his racism was considered extreme when he said it.

7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Fair enough point, although it sounds like the tiger shooting was a controversial act back in the 60s.

Talking of Churchill, many people today put his racism down to the attitudes of the day, even though his racism was considered extreme when he said it.

Nah, let's not talk about Churchill in this tread.

Some weird stuff in this thread.

I have massive issues with the monarchy, and I'm not exactly comfortable with some of the things Prince Philip said, but the bloke has just died. It's not hard to ignore a thread where people want to pay their respects to someone who served the country.

Back on theme... It seems that there will be a ceremonial funeral rather than a state one. 

So no holiday, nor lying in state. 

And Covid-19 restrictions should in theory apply so no more than 30 attendees. I can imagine that being problematic for the queen - does she invite Harry but not Meghan kind of thing. 

It does make you feel for the queen - at a time when you probably want some quiet grief a whole army of staff are wheeling into action to ask her to agree rules on what flags should fly half madt, where and for how long.... 

I'm not a massive fan of the Royal Family and you wouldn't have a monarchy if you were starting from scratch in a country. They don't massively annoy me though. I find the fawning and hysteria around them more irritating.

This thread and to an even greater extent social media as a whole shows what a binary society we have become. He has done good and bad, and important but flawed person, but then again aren't we all flawed. Not sure why everything has to be Marmite these days.  

15 minutes ago, sage said:

I'm not a massive fan of the Royal Family and you wouldn't have a monarchy if you were starting from scratch in a country. They don't massively annoy me though. I find the fawning and hysteria around them more irritating.

This thread and to an even greater extent social media as a whole shows what a binary society we have become. He has done good and bad, and important but flawed person, but then again aren't we all flawed. Not sure why everything has to be Marmite these days.  

indeed so - I'd find it difficult to point to anything he's done that had any significant impact on my life, but I'm easy going enough to live and let live.

Like any institution, a whole ecosystem of flunkies and hangers on has developed over time that depend on said institution for their own positions and it is that with which I have more of an issue, but that does not prevent respecting an individual for the contribution they made.

I find it odd that people feel anything.
That is not a criticism of the individual, it’s a comment on ‘us’. 

If people want to pay their tributes to a life of service (whatever that means) in support of the monarchy etc then go ahead. But it is also perfectly valid to observe that he had notable failings and was not representative of everyone.
I find it peculiar that people are sensitive about either observation.

For the record, I did once spend some time once standing next to him. I didn’t speak to him but was close enough to hear a lot of what he said. He was jokey and I understood how his remarks could on occasion be misinterpreted. But it changes nothing. The Royal family live a bizarre existence, far removed from everyday people who yet seem to imagine that they have some relationship with them. It’s wierd. It’s Walt Disney. But if people want to play in an imaginary world, then fine get on with it.

I have a cousin who is friendly with Zara Phillips. Indeed her daughter Mia was named after his mum - also my cousin. Does that change anything? For them yes, for me no. I don’t know them. 

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I have a cousin who is friendly with Zara Phillips. Indeed her daughter Mia was named after his mum - also my cousin. Does that change anything? For them yes, for me no. I don’t know them. 

Hang on, your cousin's mum is also your cousin? Are you sure you don't have any Habsburg blood in your family?

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I find it odd that people feel anything.
That is not a criticism of the individual, it’s a comment on ‘us’. 

If people want to pay their tributes to a life of service (whatever that means) in support of the monarchy etc then go ahead. But it is also perfectly valid to observe that he had notable failings and was not representative of everyone...

But surely the latter would best be posted in a thread entitled "Let's compare opinions of Prince Phillip" or some such title?

This thread is entitled "RIP Prince Philip", and I suspect... rightly or wrongly... that the OP had deliberate and specific reasons for that? 

17 minutes ago, Anon said:

Hang on, your cousin's mum is also your cousin? Are you sure you don't have any Habsburg blood in your family?

Second cousin and cousin I suppose?

19 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

But surely the latter would best be posted in a thread entitled "Let's compare opinions of Prince Phillip" or some such title?

This thread is entitled "RIP Prince Philip", and I suspect... rightly or wrongly... that the OP had deliberate and specific reasons for that? 

Yeah. I bet that would have gone down well ?

39 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I find it peculiar that people are sensitive about either observation.

Nobody has been sensitive about either. You came to a thread commemorating the life of someone to essentially say you don't know why people care, and you fail to see why you got criticism for this? This says more about you than anything else. If you don't care, why comment at all? 

I said 

21 hours ago, RamNut said:

I always feel a bit queasy when anyone gets giddy over the Royals.

Sorry, but i don’t understand the mentality at all.

And I’m not bothered if you’re upset by that. 

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

Second cousin and cousin I suppose?

Your first cousin is someone with whom you share a grandparent but not a parent. Your second cousin is someone with whom you share a great grandparent but not a grandparent or parent.

It gets a little more complicated when you progress to 'once removed', 'twice removed' etc - and even more complicated in Nottingham.

Archived