Rip Prince Phillip.

Rev

RIP  Prince Phillip.

Apparently on Twitter there are thousands of people talking about their life changing experiences of the DOE scheme and very saddened to hear of his death.

This is a perfect example how it change the life of one young man. The best part is he learnt via the scheme disability does not mean inability.

https://www.dofe.org/thelatest/raphael/

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, cstand said:

RIP  Prince Phillip.

Apparently on Twitter there are thousands of people talking about their life changing experiences of the DOE scheme and very saddened to hear of his death.

This is a perfect example how it change the life of one young man. The best part is he learnt via the scheme disability does not mean inability.

My son did his DofE. Really helped with his self-confidence and he learned a lot about working alongside other people and being part of a team - particularly 5 days hiking and wild-camping on the Isle of Skye. I'm sure it's benefited him greatly now he's at Uni and can only be a good thing when he gets into the workplace.....

18 hours ago, cstand said:

RIP  Prince Phillip.

I have been really heartened by the reactions of young people interviewed in the aftermath of Philip's death. 

They have on the whole spoken with great love and admiration. 

It's not all rioting with police. The good majority remains. 

I’ve been sickened by some comments on the forum, one in particular that said because of the Blackburn game being moved, along with everybody else’s mind, we are a nation of cap doffing peasants. 

Unnecessary and uncalled for in my opinion, the Monarch is laying her husband of 70 odd years to rest and because the football authorities as a mark of respect move all the matches scheduled to coincide with the funeral, those that have no objection to it are slated. If it was my forum he would have been binned likewise those that agreed with him. ? 

21 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I have been really heartened by the reactions of young people interviewed in the aftermath of Philip's death. 

They have on the whole spoken with great love and admiration. 

It's not all rioting with police. The good majority remains. 

@Anag Ram always seems to be a good judge of mood on here :)

I looked at the D of E website the other day. They aim to get around 300,000 young people started on the scheme every year, and focus on signing up at least 70,000 disadvantaged kids especially.

Think about it .... other people's annoying teenagers is not a very appealing charity - not when compared to kittens and guide dogs.

He has kept it going for all these years and it would be interesting to find out the total number of people who have done any of the three levels. 

That's before you get to the God knows how many other charities. When you are trying to fund raise you need a big hitter figurehead, someone with a profile and a string puller.

That's before you get to supporting the Queen for 73 yrs.

That's before you get to the WW2 service. Read anything about the Med in 1941-43 and it was no picnic. 

RIP Prince Philip (1921-2021)

20 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

I’ve been sickened by some comments on the forum, one in particular that said because of the Blackburn game being moved, along with everybody else’s mind, we are a nation of cap doffing peasants. 

Unnecessary and uncalled for in my opinion, the Monarch is laying her husband of 70 odd years to rest and because the football authorities as a mark of respect move all the matches scheduled to coincide with the funeral, those that have no objection to it are slated. If it was my forum he would have been binned likewise those that agreed with him. ? 

I never wish ill on the Royals, but I also don't feel comfortable with the idea that I 'have' to care. I am deeply uncomfortable with the way the Royal family on the whole is portrayed in the context of how much the country should be obliged to respect it as an institution, and by extension the people within it. My objections to the overblown theatrics and disruption caused by Royal family incidents (including weddings, deaths, controversies etc) are usually framed as me being some sort of unpatriotic dissident.

Why should football matches (or any other event) be moved for one person, or any person for that matter? There have been many high profile deaths recently and the pandemic will have claimed all manor of people that contributed charitably and culturally to the country. Nothing will get moved for them.

Before I am held up as some raging lefty, when I signed up for my army career I took an oath to protect the UK and the Queen and her heirs specifically, so I genuinely find it a bit offensive when I get shouted down for expressing the opinion I hold because of some poorly perceived notion of a lack of respect or patriotism.

14 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

don't feel comfortable with the idea that I 'have' to care.

Is anybody saying you have to care?

14 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Why should football matches (or any other event) be moved for one person, or any person for that matter?

Does it really matter?  No fans, no disruption really. Seems petty to object.

31 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I never wish ill on the Royals, but I also don't feel comfortable with the idea that I 'have' to care. I am deeply uncomfortable with the way the Royal family on the whole is portrayed in the context of how much the country should be obliged to respect it as an institution, and by extension the people within it. My objections to the overblown theatrics and disruption caused by Royal family incidents (including weddings, deaths, controversies etc) are usually framed as me being some sort of unpatriotic dissident.

Why should football matches (or any other event) be moved for one person, or any person for that matter? There have been many high profile deaths recently and the pandemic will have claimed all manor of people that contributed charitably and culturally to the country. Nothing will get moved for them.

Before I am held up as some raging lefty, when I signed up for my army career I took an oath to protect the UK and the Queen and her heirs specifically, so I genuinely find it a bit offensive when I get shouted down for expressing the opinion I hold because of some poorly perceived notion of a lack of respect or patriotism.

I agree the coverage does seem over the top right now. But tbh, its going to be one week and a day really (9th - 17th), i think we can spare him that for what he has done for 73 yrs.

I think the issue is that this is a RIP thread. It's supposed to be respectful.

It mattered enough to @Rev to set the thread up and others have had nice things to say -  he mattered to them also.

If Jeremy Corbyn died suddenly right now, and someone here set up a RIP thread, I would just say nothing, even though I could really have a pop.

I think an RIP thread is a condolences book essentially for the Forum.

Btw, thank you for your service @JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta Being a Lefty and patriotic is allowed, you don't have to be a super-flatulent Stilton guzzling Tory backbencher to love your country.

33 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Is anybody saying you have to care?

Does it really matter?  No fans, no disruption really. Seems petty to object.

It was less about the fact it's a football match. As I said I don't think any event should be moved for such an occasion to be honest.

5 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Point taken. I'll give it a rest!

1 hour ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I agree the coverage does seem over the top right now. But tbh, its going to be one week and a day really (9th - 17th), i think we can spare him that for what he has done for 73 yrs.

It mattered enough to @Rev to set the thread up and others have had nice things to say -  he mattered to them also.

If Jeremy Corbyn died suddenly right now, and someone here set up a RIP thread, I would just say nothing, even though I could really have a pop.

I think an RIP thread is a condolences book essentially for the Forum.

Btw, thank you for your service @JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta Being a Lefty and patriotic is allowed, you don't have to be a super-flatulent Stilton guzzling Tory backbencher to love your country.

I reject your caricature of stilton eating to Tories!

Archived