Team for next season's promotion push?

IslandExile

If we need a minimum of six players to progress and challenge for the top six, it is asking a lot of the current manager, the current recruitment team and the current ownership.

They would have to step up in a big way - something that we haven’t seen in a while.

I don’t think promotion next year is really viable. We have too much work to do both off and on the field.

1 hour ago, YouRams said:

The demise of our most promising youngsters Knight, Bird and Sibley is the best thing that could’ve happened in this awful season. All 3 have bags of potential even with the poor performances we’ve seen this year. Hopefully that’s put the bidders off and with another season and pre season under their belts I think we’ll see completely different players next year. Add to that the return of Bielik, Lawrence and I still have faith Ibe is going to come good, we’ll have the foundations of an alright team. 

Or they’ve got backwards we will have to sell and get 5 million a player with having to raise money and we are skint. We will sell knight for 5 million and with our track record buy Phil jones for 10 mil

Edited by Barney1991

54 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

If we need a minimum of six players to progress and challenge for the top six, it is asking a lot of the current manager, the current recruitment team and the current ownership.

They would have to step up in a big way - something that we haven’t seen in a while.

I don’t think promotion next year is really viable. We have too much work to do both off and on the field.

Ask that to Barnsley fans who narrowly avoided relegation last season on 49 points. They could get Promotion this season, because if they stay in the top 6 anything can happen.

5 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Ask that to Barnsley fans who narrowly avoided relegation last season on 49 points. They could get Promotion this season, because if they stay in the top 6 anything can happen.

Barnsley are doing very well but it’s hardly a comparable case.

Barnsley are punching above their weight and doing so through shrewd decision making and slowly laying the groundwork to kick on. They have established a clear identity in the way they play and the way they recruit managers and players.

When was the last time that was true of us? Seven years ago, maybe?

We have far too much work to do to be in a position to capitalise on the erratic nature of the division like Barnsley have.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Barnsley are doing very well but it’s hardly a comparable case.

Barnsley are punching above their weight and doing so through shrewd decision making and slowly laying the groundwork to kick on. They have established a clear identity in the way they play and the way they recruit managers and players.

When was the last time that was true of us? Seven years ago, maybe?

We have far too much work to do to be in a position to capitalise on the erratic nature of the division like Barnsley have.

Why is it not a comparable case, we could finish in 21st position like they did last season. They still have 18 players in their squad that were there last season when they narrowlly missed relegation. What they have changed, is their style of play from open attacking which leaked 69 goals to thug football which so far as only conceded 39 goals. Which is the same as the Rams, the difference being, we have not scored enough. We could make shrewd decisions, i.e. bring in an out and out goalscorer. Would not call Barnsley's slowly laying groundwork going from free flowing football to what they play this season. They have had 8 manager changes since 2018, when you state the way they recruit their managers

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

Why is it not a comparable case, we could finish in 21st position like they did last season. They still have 18 players in their squad that were there last season when they narrowlly missed relegation. What they have changed, is their style of play from open attacking which leaked 69 goals to thug football which so far as only conceded 39 goals. Which is the same as the Rams, the difference being, we have not scored enough. We could make shrewd decisions, i.e. bring in an out and out goalscorer. Would not call Barnsley's slowly laying groundwork going from free flowing football to what they play this season. They have had 8 manager changes since 2018, when you state the way they recruit their managers

8 managerial changes? They have had five permanent managers in six years.

Lee Johnson was poached by Bristol City after a year. Heckingbottom got them promoted and then finished 14th in the Championship. 

Stendel got them promoted once again before leaving in strange circumstances. Struber kept them up against the odds last season before being poached by New York Red Bulls. Ismael has got them in contention for the play offs in the Championship and will likely be poached too come the end of the season.

The only real blot on their copybook in terms of appointments and overall club strategy is Morais, who took them backwards after Heckingbottom did so well.

If they have gone from yo-yoing between the divisions to now contending for promotion to the top flight, they are clearly doing something right both on and off the field - something we have been unable to attribute to DCFC for a while now.

Thug football? Perhaps they are playing more of a direct, pressing style than they were known for and perhaps they have tweaked things to improve defensively. But I would hardly call it thuggish. I’d wager they are still much better to watch than we have been for the last 18-24 months, and again doesn’t their current success go back to being shrewd and making changes that positively impact the club?

For us to be in a position to challenge for promotion 12 months from now, so much would have to go right. But the truth is we are not a stable club and we don’t make a habit of making good decisions or progressively improving. What have you seen that is suddenly going to buck that trend?

So much is wrong both on and off the field that it seems fanciful to even suggest that our fortunes could turn so dramatically in such a short span of time.

I’d wager even Coventry have a better chance at promotion than us next season.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

So much is wrong both on and off the field that it seems fanciful to even suggest that our fortunes could turn so dramatically in such a short span of time.

I’d wager even Coventry have a better chance at promotion than us next season.

I would never say never. It's too soon to be talking about next season anyway, everything depends on the ownership situation. If a takeover happens and the funds are available, the recruitment has to be spot on for us to have a chance of promotion. Now of course all of that is possible but will it happen, at this point I'm not so sure.

3 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

We had Mount, Wilson, Tomori and Keogh in that team. With that kind of quality, other players would probably up their game. 

But Wilson is still playing at this level he hasn't kicked on. Everyone criticised Keogh and said he's not good enough, and arguably Clarke is a better defender now than the Tomori of 3 years ago. Same with Mount to a certain extent, he wasn't the player he is now 3 years ago. 

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

But i don't want to see this at Derby. Thug football will never be successful in the Premier League either.

9 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I would never say never. It's too soon to be talking about next season anyway, everything depends on the ownership situation. If a takeover happens and the funds are available, the recruitment has to be spot on for us to have a chance of promotion. Now of course all of that is possible but will it happen, at this point I'm not so sure.

Of course you never say never but if you look at any of the elements needed to succeed in this division, we fall down in every category and it will take more than one summer to fix the problems we have.

7 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

But Wilson is still playing at this level he hasn't kicked on. Everyone criticised Keogh and said he's not good enough, and arguably Clarke is a better defender now than the Tomori of 3 years ago. Same with Mount to a certain extent, he wasn't the player he is now 3 years ago. 

I don’t think the level Wilson is playing at now is relevant or the fact a few Derby fans moaned about Keogh (one of our better defenders in the last decade). Wilson was a quality player that season for a lot of matches, above anything we have now. Mount was quality too and was the stand out player. He might be better now, more experienced but he was obviously a Premier League player then. I would say he’s very similar now to then. Clarke is good, don’t know whether he is better than Tomori of 3 years ago though, I would say that is debatable. 

Edited by TheresOnlyWanChope

Marshall

NEW NEW NEW NEW

Bird Bielik Sibley

NEW NEW Lawrence 

A lot of work to be done, basically. It’s only really in midfield that I think we’ve got any quality, and of course we’re not actually playing those technically good footballers at the moment - we’re playing a load of carthorses instead. Everywhere else we’re devoid of any sort of quality, certainly in the players who will still be with us next season anyway. 

It’s too much to do in one window realistically, not without some serious investment - even if we stay up, we’re years away from challenging for promotion again imo. Right now we just need to focus on building an identity, and start putting technical players above players who just run around to no real effect. Staying up this season, and mid table next season, would be a great achievement.