Team for next season's promotion push?

IslandExile

8 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Where will the goals come from? Lawrence, let’s say 10. New Striker unless we get a gem, 15 max, Joz based on this season 5. The midfield, hard to say on Watson, Shinnie 3/4, Bielk I doubt we will see him until 2022.

Goals win games, can’t see this team any higher than mid table.In my opinion we need to scrap the 433 unless we get wingers who can contribute to the goal tally, so between 10-15 goals each a season. We don’t have that in our current squad I’m afraid. 

Agree with the back 4 and keeper though ??

goals from Lawrence (10), new striker(15), Watson(3), Shinnie(3), Jozwiak(5). Thats at least 36 goals. Would also expect a few from Sibley, also Bielik when he's back, New CB's to chip in with maybe a couple each. Maybe we get Roberts back on loan again, Waghorn is capable of getting 5/6 goals. Kazim as well 5/6 off the bench. That's around 65 probably, not too bad. 

40 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Look at the tape of that moment from behind the goal. CRK held his run and was open just behind the 6yard box. joz either had to shoot hard and low early or draw the defenders and lay it back. Hard to describe what he actually did but it was neither. CKR seemed too surprised to be angry ... 

btw, was that the game where Joz got in the way of CKR’s free kick. Think it was on target and probably would have been saved but not sure 

Ok but that's still only 2 instances where I agree he could have done better, but he's an attacking winger, that's probably the most hot/cold position on the pitch. At every level most players in that position try things and it doesn't work, or they make the wrong decision. It's about how many chances can you create for them. He's limited to about 1/2 half chances a game if that currently. Look at Brentford for example, there wingers miss chances but they create more and more chances until one pay's off. I'd even say Jozwiak is a better player than Mbeumo but Mbeumo's having a better season because of the team he's in.  

7 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

goals from Lawrence (10), new striker(15), Watson(3), Shinnie(3), Jozwiak(5). Thats at least 36 goals. Would also expect a few from Sibley, also Bielik when he's back, New CB's to chip in with maybe a couple each. Maybe we get Roberts back on loan again, Waghorn is capable of getting 5/6 goals. Kazim as well 5/6 off the bench. That's around 65 probably, not too bad. 

It's easier said than done to just get a new Striker who can score 15 goals

8 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

it's not the formation that's making us play negative as proven by the amount of different ones Rooney has tried. 

It's the intensity and lack of tempo

I agree in general but I do think 4231 can be a limiting formation from an attacking perspective if you haven't got the right player at 10 and to an extent the right balance of the 2 CDMs because there is a tendency with the formation to fall into an attacking block and a defensive block and being fairly rigid in structure. It tends to be a formation at it's best when you have a ten that's worth carrying defensively and when both CDMs can break the lines either with accurate quick forward passing or by beating players through dribbling forwards.

I'd hazard a guess that our best set up with a 4231 would likely a midfield axis of Bird-Bielik-Sibley because both Bird and Bielik can act as midfield pivots, receive the ball from a defender and accurately find a forward player whereas Sibley is the most likely of the players we have to hurt teams from those little pockets of space in front of the back 4. The midfield structure you proposed could work but I think it somewhat relies on finding a quick clinical striker to play up front for Watson to thread balls through to and Watson maintaining form through a season. 

I think it's probably a moot point as I don't we should be planning around Bielik right now and without Bielik I just don't see the point of tying ourselves to such a midfield structure (to be honest even he's fit it's debatable whether we should anyway).

34 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

That would be nice, fingers crossed 

Depending on contract renewals and players returning or not, we could be looking at needing 10 players in the summer. We have 17 players contracted beyond this summer if you include McDonald & Watson who have been around the 1st team but that also includes Ravas & Marriott. Can the likes of Ebosele, Cresswell, Duncan, Stretton, A. Brown, J. Brown, Wilson, JML & Shonibare force their way into the 1st team squad on a regular basis?

GK - Marshall / Roos / Ravas

RB - Byrne / McDonald

RCB - NEW (Mengi) / NEW

LCB - NEW (Edmundson) / NEW

LB - Buchanan / Forsyth

CDM - Bielik / Bird / NEW

CM - Knight / Sibley / NEW / Shinnie / Watson

RW - Jozwiak / NEW

ST - NEW / CKR / NEW (Gregory)

LW - Lawrence / Ibe**

I personally can't see Wisdom, Davies or Waghorn staying, if it was 1 to stay it would probably be Wisdom. I can see us signing Mengi on loan again, Edmundson on a permanent & Gregory on a free so not really new signings.

That then leaves 6 new players, maybe 7 depending on Ibe's situation and 5 if Wisdom stays.

I think we need to be looking at a youngish centre half from leagues 1/2 on a permanent.

Short term loan for a CDM, could maybe see Baningime again with him only having 1 year left on his deal.

We really need another creative centre mid / number 10, Sibley is capable but is still young so someone else coming in could ease the pressure - maybe a loan?

A winger in on a permanent then maybe another on loan depending on Ibe.

We need a younger version of CKR, someone strong but with a bit of pace. Can see us going back in for someone like Keinan Davis, Delap been linked and would fit that type. Ladapo was meant to have been a target in Jan so maybe we will revisit that.

Edited by DCFC1388

17 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Ok but that's still only 2 instances where I agree he could have done better, but he's an attacking winger, that's probably the most hot/cold position on the pitch. At every level most players in that position try things and it doesn't work, or they make the wrong decision. It's about how many chances can you create for them. He's limited to about 1/2 half chances a game if that currently. Look at Brentford for example, there wingers miss chances but they create more and more chances until one pay's off. I'd even say Jozwiak is a better player than Mbeumo but Mbeumo's having a better season because of the team he's in.  

Correct.

I wouldn't say it's even 2 instances either as i've seen some of the best players in the world accidently block a team mates free kick, can happen to anyone. Also on that point, why do people feel the need to blame Jozwiak for that. I would be questioning the free kick itself. 

19 hours ago, DCFClks said:

I've said it before but focussing on Jozwiak's final ball/finishing is missing the forest for the trees. People shouldn't be asking why is X player not performing in the final third and should be asking why are none of our attacking players, bar CKR, creating or scoring at level they've previously indicated they could?

Our problems going forward don't stem from any individual and are rather a combination of tactics, selection and coaching.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

I've said it before but focussing on Jozwiak's final ball/finishing is missing the forest for the trees. People shouldn't be asking why is X player not performing in the final third and should be asking why are none of our attacking players, bar CKR, creating or scoring at level they've previously indicated they could?

Our problems going forward don't stem from any individual and are rather a combination of tactics, selection and coaching.

Exactly. I'd urge anyone who's been doubting Jozwiak and Lawrence's ability to watch them over the international break and see how different they play for there countries. Hopefully Jozwiak plays against England.

Hopefully next season we will be playing on the front foot more often, which will allow Lawrence/Jozwiak/Sibley to be more creative than we are now, this season is all about survival by hook or crook. We obviously know centre defense is a priority as is another cf for next year.