Team for next season's promotion push?

IslandExile

19 hours ago, Jourdan said:

8 managerial changes? They have had five permanent managers in six years.

Lee Johnson was poached by Bristol City after a year. Heckingbottom got them promoted and then finished 14th in the Championship. 

Stendel got them promoted once again before leaving in strange circumstances. Struber kept them up against the odds last season before being poached by New York Red Bulls. Ismael has got them in contention for the play offs in the Championship and will likely be poached too come the end of the season.

The only real blot on their copybook in terms of appointments and overall club strategy is Morais, who took them backwards after Heckingbottom did so well.

If they have gone from yo-yoing between the divisions to now contending for promotion to the top flight, they are clearly doing something right both on and off the field - something we have been unable to attribute to DCFC for a while now.

Thug football? Perhaps they are playing more of a direct, pressing style than they were known for and perhaps they have tweaked things to improve defensively. But I would hardly call it thuggish. I’d wager they are still much better to watch than we have been for the last 18-24 months, and again doesn’t their current success go back to being shrewd and making changes that positively impact the club?

For us to be in a position to challenge for promotion 12 months from now, so much would have to go right. But the truth is we are not a stable club and we don’t make a habit of making good decisions or progressively improving. What have you seen that is suddenly going to buck that trend?

So much is wrong both on and off the field that it seems fanciful to even suggest that our fortunes could turn so dramatically in such a short span of time.

I’d wager even Coventry have a better chance at promotion than us next season.

There's a good article in todays Sunday Mirror about Barnsley and what their football was described as "long balls and aggression". I picked up my "Thugball" description from our Forum (others had used this). Anyway, back to the newspaper article, It was about Ismael hitting back of the critics slamming his "Direct Barnsley style". He was defending their style, calling it playing with energy, intensity and high press.

My 8 managers did include 3 periods of caretakers and with the permanent lot, Heckingbottom from 2016-18 only had a 27% win rate, left for the Leeds job where he got sacked after 16 games. Jose Morais 20% win rate got sacked after they got relegated having been beaten at Derby 4-1. Daniel Stendal (2018/19) had a win rate of 46.9% but this was in their promotion season from league one. He got sacked after a 10 match winless run. Gerhard Struber had a win rate of 37% but left for MLS club New York Red Bulls where he has family ties.

If Coventry get relegated this season, I would agree they would have a better chance of promotion than us. But if they do stay up, I would bet the Rams finish above them. Our current Manager does have a good win rate of 9 wins out of 23 games.

We have had 20 games this season where we have either drawn or lost by one goal. If we had scored one more goal in each of those games we would have 29 more points which would currently put us in fourth place.Ivan Toney has scored 26 this season so we sign him for 30 million job done.Now we just need to work out where we can hold of 30 million .

5 hours ago, Foreveram said:

We have had 20 games this season where we have either drawn or lost by one goal. If we had scored one more goal in each of those games we would have 29 more points which would currently put us in fourth place.Ivan Toney has scored 26 this season so we sign him for 30 million job done.Now we just need to work out where we can hold of 30 million .

Playing devil's advocate if we had played more expansively in a number of those games then the loss by a single goal would have become a greater margin so we would have had to score more goals and so on.

On 13/03/2021 at 17:48, IslandExile said:

Still hopeful that it will be promotion from the championship. Yeah, really.

Also I'm going 4-3-3.

We're going to need an injection of cash. Stuff FFP.

Roos 

Byrne.   *NEW*.  *NEW*  Buchanan 

*NEW*.     Bielik.    *NEW*

*NEW*.   *NEW*.  Jozwiak 

There are cases to keep Watson, Sibley, Knight, Bird, Wisdom, Shinnie, Kazim-Richards, Marshall, Waggy as squad players. 

The Jozwiak critics will be surprised that I've included him but I genuinely believe we'll see the best of him when surrounded by better players.

We need much better quality in the team. Better tactics and team selection would also help.

I admire your optimism.

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Playing devil's advocate if we had played more expansively in a number of those games then the loss by a single goal would have become a greater margin so we would have had to score more goals and so on.

It works both ways, in some of those games if we had scored first the game game could have been played out differently, the Millwall game being a prime example. The point I am making is I don’t think we need to change the whole team we just need someone that can take the chances they are given.

Too many variables to be thinking about what's going to happen next season just yet.

Whose going to be the new owner?

How much money will we have ?

Which division will we be be paying in ?

Who will be manager then ?

Which players will be retained/offered new contracts ?

Which players will be sold/want to go ?

Which players will we get in ?

Will crowds be allowed to return back into grounds as normal ?

Will they be speaking English ,Arabic or Spanish in the boardroom ?

Everything is STILL up in air

Don’t get me wrong I like CKR and he’s been a good free signing but if this thread is being serious for a promotion push to the premier league then him starting alone up front is not the answer, If it’s a promotion push back to the championship then fair enough.... 

GK- Marshall, Roos good enough 

DEF- Buchanan Byrne Fozzy McDonald contracted atm I think? If so 3 new CBs needed  I’d give wisdom a new contract 

Midfield- Sibley Bird Knight Shinnie Beilek (when back fit) Watson not bad but needs improving 

ATT- Jozwaik CKR Marriott is that it contracted? If so need 3/4 attacking players

14 hours ago, plymouthram said:

There's a good article in todays Sunday Mirror about Barnsley and what their football was described as "long balls and aggression". I picked up my "Thugball" description from our Forum (others had used this). Anyway, back to the newspaper article, It was about Ismael hitting back of the critics slamming his "Direct Barnsley style". He was defending their style, calling it playing with energy, intensity and high press.

My 8 managers did include 3 periods of caretakers and with the permanent lot, Heckingbottom from 2016-18 only had a 27% win rate, left for the Leeds job where he got sacked after 16 games. Jose Morais 20% win rate got sacked after they got relegated having been beaten at Derby 4-1. Daniel Stendal (2018/19) had a win rate of 46.9% but this was in their promotion season from league one. He got sacked after a 10 match winless run. Gerhard Struber had a win rate of 37% but left for MLS club New York Red Bulls where he has family ties.

If Coventry get relegated this season, I would agree they would have a better chance of promotion than us. But if they do stay up, I would bet the Rams finish above them. Our current Manager does have a good win rate of 9 wins out of 23 games.

I think discussing the merits of Barnsley’s style of play and the win rates of their previous managers is getting away from the point.

My original point was that for us to ‘do a Barnsley’ and go from battling relegation one year to contending for promotion the next year, the decision making has to be shrewd by the ownership, by the recruitment team, and of course the manager has to make a huge difference. It usually helps if the club is stable and has good key people behind the scenes.

Clearly you have seen something in Rooney and the key people at the club to inspire confidence. What that is, I am not entirely sure.

Personally I have not. I honestly think mid-table is the best we can hope for if we stay up. We are a number of years away from competing unless something remarkable happens - we spend tens of millions or we appoint a manager with Bielsa levels of impact.

53 minutes ago, Topram said:

Don’t get me wrong I like CKR and he’s been a good free signing but if this thread is being serious for a promotion push to the premier league then him starting alone up front is not the answer, If it’s a promotion push back to the championship then fair enough.... 

GK- Marshall, Roos good enough 

DEF- Buchanan Byrne Fozzy McDonald contracted atm I think? If so 3 new CBs needed  I’d give wisdom a new contract 

Midfield- Sibley Bird Knight Shinnie Beilek (when back fit) Watson not bad but needs improving 

ATT- Jozwaik CKR Marriott is that it contracted? If so need 3/4 attacking players

Lawrence and Ibe missing off your list. Also Stretton and other U23s on the fringe.

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

Chris Wilder is a one trick pony , been found out this season in the Premier League , doesnt change his style of play , made very average signings , not for me thanks

It's funny how outside perceptions differ from those of supporters of a club.

I'm close friends with a Blades fan who tells me that he and the others are outraged and heartbroken to lose Wilder and pin all the blame on the owner.

Then you have everyone lauding Eddie Howe, touting him for Arsenal and England (some even wanting him at Derby), yet Bournemouth fans I have spoken to (I live down south) and who appeared on the local news wanted him gone sooner and blamed him for their relegation.

In another twist of irony, it appears that Howe is being lined up to take over at Sheffield United at the end of the season.

53 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

It's funny how outside perceptions differ from those of supporters of a club.

I'm close friends with a Blades fan who tells me that he and the others are outraged and heartbroken to lose Wilder and pin all the blame on the owner.

Then you have everyone lauding Eddie Howe, touting him for Arsenal and England (some even wanting him at Derby), yet Bournemouth fans I have spoken to (I live down south) and who appeared on the local news wanted him gone sooner and blamed him for their relegation.

In another twist of irony, it appears that Howe is being lined up to take over at Sheffield United at the end of the season.

To be fair , a mate of mine is a Blades season ticket holder and hes gutted as well , his reason is that Wilder is one of their own , a Blades fan , but he also admits that Wilders play is too one dimensional , no plan b , he also says Max Lowe is totally out of his depth , but like you say mate differing perceptions make football what it is

Our L1 promotion push:

Foster
McDonald   Bielik   JBrown   Buchanan
Bird
Knight   Sibley
Shonibare   Stretton   Wilson

Subs from: Idem, Ebosele, Solomon, Cashin, Minkley, Archie, Dixon, LThompson, Watson, Hutchinson, JML, Duncan, Cresswell

Mel's happy as we finally reach his 50% quota.