Team for next season's promotion push?

IslandExile

On 19/03/2021 at 05:44, Van der MoodHoover said:

As cover for Bielik? Who won't be playing until 2022 I would think. 

plays more advanced than Bielik.

Would play him in Shinnie’s slot tbh.

8g4a this season is nice too. has the traits of a playmaker

On 19/03/2021 at 14:47, brady1993 said:

Defensively I think this position will suit him better as well as it largely a position about being in the right place and holding your position as opposed to charge around, thundering into tackles and Bird has excellent positional sense.

Really good post, agree completely with playing to our strengths rather than nullifying other teams. For us to really progress sustainably I also agree that trying to develop our academy players in systems/positions more suited to them is the way to go rather than throwing them in at the deep end and asking them to be square pegs in round holes a lot of the time. One thing I've seen a bit on here and I quoted above is how good Bird is positionally and from what I've seen I'd have to disagree and say that it's one of the weaker areas of his game from what I've seen, I think he actually looks better receiving the ball slightly higher up the pitch as a cm in a 1-2 midfield three rather than being the DM. Was wondering whether anyone agrees because I just haven't seen him as defensively good enough for the DM role.

• 1 month later...