F1 2021

Gaspode

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Toto said it only failed on one side because it had a fault.  

It had passed every time before for all other races. 

I mean disqualification and starting from the back was unbelievable.

Red Bull and Verstappen are really annoying .

They are moaning now about Mercedes straight  line speed .

It's pretty clear the part just moved or failed slightly. It's not like some super clever trying to get around the regulations thing. It's not hard to picture an "instruction to fix the part" if he'd qualified P3.

Mercedes have had a top speed advantage over red bull all year and have now found a set up that's competetive through the corners. Were Merc supposed to just go "oh well, we give up, red bull is faster"

I think it's red bull racing more than it's Max that are annoying - i remember what an utter bamford Vettel was at red bull and how he bacame a whole lot more likeable once he left, there's deffo something about how Horner and Marco go about things that's pertty vulgar.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's pretty clear the part just moved or failed slightly. It's not like some super clever trying to get around the regulations thing. It's not hard to picture an "instruction to fix the part" if he'd qualified P3.

Mercedes have had a top speed advantage over red bull all year and have now found a set up that's competetive through the corners. Were Merc supposed to just go "oh well, we give up, red bull is faster"

I think it's red bull racing more than it's Max that are annoying - i remember what an utter bamford Vettel was at red bull and how he bacame a whole lot more likeable once he left, there's deffo something about how Horner and Marco go about things that's pertty vulgar.

Yes I have to agree with you there 2 arrogant tools. No other team principal as bad as Horner so far up his backside. 

What a race! After Silverstone, hearing Horner mithering into Masi's ear after Crashtappen tried to put Lewis in the lake was was some beast-level irony. The FIA have really done themselves few favours this season but Hamilton's always been a streetfighter and this could still go down to the wire.

The last 3 races will be run on tacks that will again favour the Merc car, but whatever happens, this has been a WDC for the ages. It's had everything and will live long in the memory. How sweet it would be to see Horner crying into his Macchiato ?

I was surprised by the non-investigation for running Lewis off the road. It was very much a "I'm a just going to schumacher you off the road" to the extent he couldn't make the corner himself (you know, the kind of "dirty driving" the RBR went on a massive character assassination over, surely horner is demanding a race ban etc etc)

More epic stuff from Lewis.

Bottas lucked out on pitting during a virtual safety car to get past Perez, but they're both ordinary next Max and Lewis.

Good job by Ferrari to get the best of the rest.

Bad weekend for McLaren in the battle for 3rd in the constructors.

Gasly vs Alpine still on a knife edge - I think Alpha tauri will pip Alpine in the end.

On 08/11/2021 at 10:10, ramsbottom said:

I think it's all over bar the shouting now. 

It's been a great effort that Lewis has kept it so close all season when his cars been inferior for the most part.  Will be interesting to see if Mercedes' decision to put all their development chips into next season's car pays off.

Think I may have spoken a little too soon.  What a drive from Lewis yesterday (all weekend).  As the remaining tracks look to be Merc friendly this is going to the wire.

Moment of the day had to be Toto giving it the biggun to the camera when Lewis took the lead.  Brilliant ?

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Hamilton/Mercedes to go for another new engine before Jeddah? We saw that they can easily afford a 5 place penalty and still win, cos lets be honest it doesn't really matter when you have a 30 km/h advantage.

Not sure they'll need to though I think you assessment is spot on. Red Bull on the other hand ?

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Hamilton/Mercedes to go for another new engine before Jeddah? We saw that they can easily afford a 5 place penalty and still win, cos lets be honest it doesn't really matter when you have a 30 km/h advantage.

It's an interesting one. As they're only having to make the new ones last a few races they can run them in the full qualifying mode a lot more. Losail looks like overtaking will be hard and I'm not sure about the track in saudi, track position is still important.

33 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's an interesting one. As they're only having to make the new ones last a few races they can run them in the full qualifying mode a lot more. Losail looks like overtaking will be hard and I'm not sure about the track in saudi, track position is still important.

It’s like taking a mega pit stop in the middle of a season. You get a short term disadvantage for a longer term advantage. But you e got to plan the right time to do it. 

26 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Just seen a tweet that Mercedes are requesting a review of Verstapen running Hamilton off the track "on the basis of new evidence unavailable to the Stewards at the time of their decision" - guess the on-board camera footage from Max's car has finally come to light.....

The FIA won't do anything about it. 

Just now, ziggyram59 said:

The FIA won't do anything about it. 

Absolutely - decision on the day was way too quick (and to most 'non partisan' eyes way too wrong.....). Max has been getting away with things for quite a while now and doesn't ever seem to think he's done anything wrong - it's why I worry he'll actually kill someone as he shows no contrition when he's caused an incident....even after Sunday he was banging on about 'hard racing' being the way it should be....

13 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Absolutely - decision on the day was way too quick (and to most 'non partisan' eyes way too wrong.....). Max has been getting away with things for quite a while now and doesn't ever seem to think he's done anything wrong - it's why I worry he'll actually kill someone as he shows no contrition when he's caused an incident....even after Sunday he was banging on about 'hard racing' being the way it should be....

He’s quick enough to moan when he’s on the receiving end though. 

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

He’s quick enough to moan when he’s on the receiving end though. 

Yup.

He seems to suffer from the invincibility complex.

The stewards really needed to peanalise that move. I remember back in Austria the whole sherbang with Norris and Checo being a bit "5 seconds for everybody for everything" and those moves were nowhere near as blatant or dangrous as the one on Sunday. Max is young but he's 5 seasons into his F1 career and he should've learned by now that he doesn't need to pull this stuff, he's a good enough driver to not do it.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Yup.

He seems to suffer from the invincibility complex.

The stewards really needed to peanalise that move. I remember back in Austria the whole sherbang with Norris and Checo being a bit "5 seconds for everybody for everything" and those moves were nowhere near as blatant or dangrous as the one on Sunday. Max is young but he's 5 seasons into his F1 career and he should've learned by now that he doesn't need to pull this stuff, he's a good enough driver to not do it.

Should’ve learned....good enough.... sure but, it’s his mindset, if he doesn’t accept he’s wrong, then unless the stewards force him to rethink his actions, he’ll just keep doing the same.

Really do think the stewards need to take a long hard look at what’s going on or something bad might happen at some point.

6 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Should’ve learned....good enough.... sure but, it’s his mindset, if he doesn’t accept he’s wrong, then unless the stewards force him to rethink his actions, he’ll just keep doing the same.

Really do think the stewards need to take a long hard look at what’s going on or something bad might happen at some point.

It's totally a mindset thing. There's a certain "well, if we both die, we both die, you should've just let me win" tinge to his driving at times. Now, we've seen bad moves from most drivers. Early years Lewis Hamilton was prone to his win it or bin it moves, we all remember Michael Schumacher having some "unsporting" moments and many many more less talented drivers have defended too hard, tried moves that just weren't on out of despiration but there's something about Verstappen's driving that is almost pathalogical.

He's not going to change it. His team are activly encouraging it.

It doesn't have to be this way. He is a WDC caliber driver, no doubt about it. He is not a driver who needs to pull this poop to have his chance and his driving that way isn't an asset to him.

NO idea what he's like away from the racing, so I wouldn't want to imply any of the above is about anything other than his driving style and I think he goes to far at times.