F1 2021

Gaspode

Level on points but Max ahead via more race wins.

What a crazy race, and not in a good way. Track concerns, poor race control/stewarding.

Utterly confusing behaviour regarding giving places back, unsporting would be kind.

Karen horner blaming hamilton (unsurprising)

My main takeaway from this race is the track needs changes before they come back here - it's asking for trouble.

I think Merc have the constructors stitched up now.

However, the drivers, wow, can't wait for next week, even though Yas Marina usually sucks as a track.

Crowd booing Max. Deserved.

I'm fed up with Vertappen. The zero respect for his competetors is just not acceptable. His attitude to crashing is unacceptable. The stewards need to be peanalising him for his antics.

I've watched enough motorsports to understand and respect good racing drivers. Max has elite talent and ability to win multipul WDC, but I just can't respect him. Even Schumacher who was villain no1 for me when I was younger i understood and respected.

That race was ridiculous. Too many stoppages which was completely inevitable with such high speed tight corners and absolutely no margin for error due to the walls! I actually thought we would see a very serious incident this weekend, thankfully that didn’t happen although we came close with leclerc and today with mick schumacher.

However it added to the drama between Lewis and Max. I think Max is a brilliant driver that overtake on the second restart was outstanding. But he clearly is win at all costs, he won’t yield which means others will need to in order to avoid collisions. Today I thought he was particularly dirty. I don’t think he’s as crude and cynical as Schumacher was but he’s definitely pushing over the line.

Lewis throughout his career has raced extremely hard and pushed limits but for me has always stayed the right side of the line and kept it clean, that is to his credit and why IMO he’s the greatest champion the sport has had certainly in my lifetime. 

It goes to Abu Dhabi all square and I can’t remember a championship like this. I didn’t start watching until Mansell in 92, this is the best championship fight in that time, beats Hakkinen Schumi, Schumi Alonso, Alonso Hamilton (with Kimi nicking it in the last race) Hamilton Massa and Hamilton Rosberg. There has not been a battle this intense since Senna Prost.

I think the FIA have ballsed this up big time the past few races. If Lewis wins next week (??) the majority of fans will give it an asterisk, claiming that the stewards had to give him help. Clamping down on Verstappen in Brazil could’ve nipped it in the bud but they didn’t bother and he now thinks he can do what he wants.

For all the drama today, what a crap track…

Max and Lewis have pushed each other too far at times this season, I'd say on balance Max is the aggressor, but the biggest problem is the inconsistency with which the FIA deal with all of the incidents.

As @ramsbottomsays, this could have been nipped in the bud in Brazil but they bottled it, now Max has established in his head that the line sits there (not that he was exactly holding back before then).

Max already races with a 'yield or we both crash' mentality, he's got absolutely no incentive to change that next week, in fact I'd argue that the circumstances make it so he is actively encouraged to engineer a situation where him and Lewis are out of the race.

If the FIA are smart they will privately tell him that if he goes down the Schumacher v Villeneuve route that they will absolutely smash him with a season ban, just like they did Schumacher. But the FIA aren't particularly smart based on what we have seen so far this season.

On 05/12/2021 at 09:59, Gaspode said:

That's a damn scary track - incredibly quick with blind corners and not many obvious overtaking places (depending on the impact od DRS). It'll be pretty intense for the drivers given the amount of concentration required just to avoid the walls - I'll be amazed if there aren't some major crashes and numerous hold ups.....

Looks as if I was right about the track - needs fixing before they have another race there or someone may get killed.....

As far as Max goes, they could have clamped down on him several seasons ago - he's been over agressive (and that means dangerous) since he first came into F1 - highly talented driver but doesn't have the self-control to race fairly....doesn't care about other drivers safety as long as he wins...

14 hours ago, Rev said:

Don't allow tyre changes under a red flag.

Races shouldn't be decided by such things.

Quite hypocritical of Lewis to be moaning on the radio about Max changing tyres during the red flag, he seemed to forget Silverstone and Imola this season.