F1 2021

Gaspode

So, whilst it's never wise to read too much into free practice, it seems like it's not particually Red Bull friendly at Losail.

It's also been determined that Merc won't get a chance to have Verstappen's defending against Hamilton reviewed. TBH, i think that was always the most likely result, referees in other sports don't like changing their minds either.

I still suspect that following and passing are going to be really difficult on this track and there's not really any big breaking zones to throw one up the inside. So qualifying and strategy are going to big factors.

It looks nice in the dark though.

I'm however, pretty darn skeptical that F1 is going to help progress human rights in Qatar. (or Saudi)

5 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Interesting qualifying session.

Hamilton took the michael, pole by 4 tenths.

However the cast behind is Max, Bottas, Gasly, Alonso, Norris, sainz, YUKI!, Ocon, Vettel.

Big fails from Checo and Leclerc out in Q2.

Hope for a good race tomorrow.

Max in front of the stewards tomorrow for failing to slow for yellow flags towards the end of qualifying - normally a slam-dunk penalty as they'll have access to the data from his car - suspect it might be a 5 place grid drop......

16 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Max in front of the stewards tomorrow for failing to slow for yellow flags towards the end of qualifying - normally a slam-dunk penalty as they'll have access to the data from his car - suspect it might be a 5 place grid drop......

Just seen that Bottas and Sainz have also been summoned…..

Was a good race today.

Seems my fears of very little passing were mostly unfounded.

Great to have Alonso back on the podium. It would've been interesting to see have it would've played out without the virtual safety car at the end, but good on Fernando and Alpine.

Oh man, those tyres though ......it's been a factor all through the pirelli years.

Looks like McLaren are losing 3rd to Ferrari at the moment.

Next race in Saudi Arabia, a regime so diabolical it purchased Newcastle United.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's the weekend of the Jamal Khashoggi Memorial Grand Prix.

New track, so obviously everyone is guessing at the moment, but looks like two wiggly straights connected by wide-ish radius hairpins. On the one hand looks like very little opportunity to throw one on the breaks but the drs might be powerful. Looks like it's challenging to drive on the limit with them walls everywhere.

Hopefully the race is exciting and Lewis keeps the challenge going to the final race. Last thing the season needs is a DNF or scuppered by an incident handing Max the title. I'm sure verstappen would want to win it on the track anyway.

Vroom vroom round and round they go!

Couldn't agree more RadioactiveWaste let's hope Lewis can keep up the battle and win again to take it to the last race. I see Jealous Fernando Alonso complaining about Lewis and the engine in his car something about he should be at the back of the grid, god the guy is so bitter from there days as team mates at McLaren. And the SKY commentary team are just as bad towards Lewis. 

42 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Couldn't agree more RadioactiveWaste let's hope Lewis can keep up the battle and win again to take it to the last race. I see Jealous Fernando Alonso complaining about Lewis and the engine in his car something about he should be at the back of the grid, god the guy is so bitter from there days as team mates at McLaren. And the SKY commentary team are just as bad towards Lewis. 

I don't watch the sky coverage tbh.

As great a driver as Fernando is, he did have the mass damper when he was winning his championships so it's not like he never benefitted from a trick car no one else had...

From FP1 it looks like it's going to be a flat Lewis v Max scrap for the win. Yeah Bottas was quick but he'll come to nothing in the race because it's who he is and that's why georgey boy got his drive next year.

That's a damn scary track - incredibly quick with blind corners and not many obvious overtaking places (depending on the impact od DRS). It'll be pretty intense for the drivers given the amount of concentration required just to avoid the walls - I'll be amazed if there aren't some major crashes and numerous hold ups.....

Edited by Gaspode

5 hours ago, Gaspode said:

That's a damn scary track - incredibly quick with blind corners and not many obvious overtaking places (depending on the impact od DRS). It'll be pretty intense for the drivers given the amount of concentration required just to avoid the walls - I'll be amazed if there aren't some major crashes and numerous hold ups.....

As much as I hate to say it think it will be a Hamilton/Verstappen 1-2 again, Bottas is useless as a wingman so Verstappen will soon be passed him. Really hope I'm wrong. Need Lewis to win though to take it to final race. 

1 hour ago, ziggyram59 said:

As much as I hate to say it think it will be a Hamilton/Verstappen 1-2 again, Bottas is useless as a wingman so Verstappen will soon be passed him. Really hope I'm wrong. Need Lewis to win though to take it to final race. 

I've predicted Hamilton, Verstappen, Perez as my podium. I think the ferarri tends to qualify better than their race pace and I'm just expecting bottas to suck/do something stupid in this race. I'm usually hopeless in my predictions though.

I am expecting at least 1 red flag as someone bins it. It is a scary track. I honestly can't see how this got past the FIA (well i could guess $$$$$) - the layout is fine but the walls making everything blind and zero runoff is not a great combination unless you like collecting carbon fibre fragments. In Baku the tight section is all low speed, Monaco is all low speed.

I think it was Perez who sad it was "unnecessary" to have it this way, could've been designed out pretty easy without losing the nature or having acres of run off everywhere.

36 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I've predicted Hamilton, Verstappen, Perez as my podium. I think the ferarri tends to qualify better than their race pace and I'm just expecting bottas to suck/do something stupid in this race. I'm usually hopeless in my predictions though.

I am expecting at least 1 red flag as someone bins it. It is a scary track. I honestly can't see how this got past the FIA (well i could guess $$$$$) - the layout is fine but the walls making everything blind and zero runoff is not a great combination unless you like collecting carbon fibre fragments. In Baku the tight section is all low speed, Monaco is all low speed.

I think it was Perez who sad it was "unnecessary" to have it this way, could've been designed out pretty easy without losing the nature or having acres of run off everywhere.

lights out soon. 
Im really looking forward to the race 

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

The barrier repairs that don't involve fixing the barrier are going to piss mercedes off big time.

I predict a super aggressive restart from LH.

I also don't think we're done with cars interfacing with walls for this race....

Now we have another Red Flag and also Red Bull will have to concede place .

Hamilton will start ahead again