Coventry v Derby Match Day Thread

35 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I just got a nagging feeling we'll lose this one just because we rested players and expected to lose against Cardiff. It's just the way it always sodding goes. It's one of the reasons I never blamed Wassall for putting the full team out vs Ipswitch that time (I know what happened to George happened, but hindsight is always 20/20)

Before that game I said not to risk Thorne. He was our best chance of winning and that game was meaningless.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Same result as our other trip to St Andrews will do.

Expect Bird Waghorn Knight CKR & probably Forsyth all to come in. Marshall too if he is fit.

Its a must not lose game for sure.

Missed off Byrne who will no doubt be back in.

Will be interesting to see how we line up as they normally play 3412 and like to press. We might do what we did vs Wycombe & Boro and play more direct to bypass their press? Waggy looked decent in the 2 last night when he came on.

Roos - Wisdom Edmundson Clarke - Byrne Knight Bird Shinnie Buchanan - CKR Waghorn

Subs - Idem Mengi McDonald Forsyth Watson Sibley Roberts/Beni Jozwiak Gregory

Marshall in if he is fit.

34 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I don't mind Cov at all. I do feel for them with all they've been through over the last few years and they've always struck me as a club that's down to earth and unpretensious. Yes, everything went wrong with the Richo and it only "worked" finance wise if they packed out the ground in the PL year after year, but "a new stadium is the only way" was very much a trend in football at that time.

Bit of an underdog club that managed to stick around the prem far longer than they had any right to and have had to survive some horrible trauma with SISU, some of the worst owners in football who aren't the crowd who ran blackpool.

First all seater stadium was at Coventry but before it's time.

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Before that game I said not to risk Thorne. He was our best chance of winning and that game was meaningless.

Oh I know, I understand. But we'd also had goes at resting players and always seemed to under perform in the next match. What happened happened, and it's history but I do understand why we put him out there.

I don't really get why

I just don't like rest lots of players and throw a match, ever. I can understand "take it easy this match" I can understand rotation.

2 hours ago, DCFClks said:

image.png.3857ca89226d77732ef78f1bc5fc6929.png

Arguably our 2 best performances of the season vs Swansea and Birmingham were in a 4-3-3 (that was with Bielik though).

Can we please just put out a solid, tested team (especially defence) instead of a completely different lineup each game. 

I would mostly go with that line up @DCFClks

Would play Forsyth as i think Buchanan is in need of a rest, also Forsyth has very good delivery

I would like to start Watson in place of Bird, think he showed exactly what we've been missing v Cardiff

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Agree, quite like the Sky Blues ?

I did get a little Proustian rush when I saw Coventry vs Derby in the thread title - that's a fixture that feels like it belongs, much more so than this Wycombe, Huddersfield and Rotherham tosh....

58 minutes ago, Rampage said:

First all seater stadium was at Coventry but before it's time.

The Ricoh is a disaster though, exec boxes all the way down one side just destroy any chance of an atmosphere, then have it quarter full and it's no surprise there's no love for it.

When Boris promised chance to get 5-10k back in grounds by the summer I bet they were delighted at the prospect of a record attendance.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I just got a nagging feeling we'll lose this one just because we rested players and expected to lose against Cardiff. It's just the way it always sodding goes. It's one of the reasons I never blamed Wassall for putting the full team out vs Ipswitch that time (I know what happened to George happened, but hindsight is always 20/20)

Except when we lost 4-0 at Villa then won the next match 2-1 against Wigan. 

I think we will get a reaction and some fresh energy from the rested players and will win.

Back to a more familiar line up personnel wise:

Roos
    Wisdom, Edmundson, Clarke
Byrne, Knight, Shinnie, Buchanan
                     Watson
              Kazim, Gregory

I think, with the players we've got available, that's probably the best set up we could go with. Without Bielik, we haven't got anyone to play that holding midfield role anywhere near as well... so the energy of Knight and Shinnie can compensate. Watson to start. Was a bright spark in a sea of poo against Cardiff and deserves a chance. Cov have been very hit and miss... hopefully their team that played Norwich turn up instead of the one that beat Brentford! Let's get back to winning ways! COYR! ?

56 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Roos

bryne.  Wisdom Clarke Forsyth 

waghorn knight Shinnie Robert’s 

Drogba Gregory 

Bryne from Gavin and Stacey seems to be getting a lot of game time ?

Archived