eccles the ram

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, eccles the ram said:

20th September 1969 5 - 0 Against Spurs. Derby's record home attendance. I was there and then saw it on ATV on Sunday with Hugh Johns commentating. What memories! Anyone else there? 

yep in the Ossie with my dad.  What an occasion but in those days we always expected to win didn't we?

I watched on the Sunday. I would have celebrated victory with a crate of Davenports, but aged 8 there were some difficulties on agreeing payment arrangements. Settled for a Vimto instead in my Grandad’s half pint tankard.

Last Friday in Scottyland ITC v HMFC sold over 10,000 signed virtual tickets at £10 for a stadium that holds 7,500. Marine v Tottenham in the FA cup did the same hitting something over 30,000. Maybe this could be a way for Derby to break the attendance record albeit virtually by picking one game for fans to buy signed tickets for. If nothing else it will give the club or a charity some money.

54 minutes ago, eccles the ram said:

20th September 1969 5 - 0 Against Spurs. Derby's record home attendance. I was there and then saw it on ATV on Sunday with Hugh Johns commentating. What memories! Anyone else there? 

I was there with my dad. What a day!

i was very young and the box I used to take to stand on got crushed when about five blokes also stood on it to get a better view. Luckily we were behind one of the barriers, but could have been worse!

I was 6, and didn't start my DCFC supporting career for another 6 years, so no, I wasn't there.

However, despite being famed within my family for not having the best memory, the very fact that 41, 826 is The Rams' highest ever attendance has stayed within my brain for well over 4 decades (probably nearer to 5?).  I knew the number, and knew it was v Spurs (though I didn't know the date or remember the season!)

Had you put a comma in the title, and set this as a quiz, I'd like to think that I could quite possibly have won... without even Googling it!

... tumblr_moqd6lzalm1qbnleeo1_400.gif

46 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

The population of Derby then was approximately 150 thousand and now it is nearer 250 thousand so no reason why we could not get a bigger attendance if Pride Park was extended around the horseshoe.

Think if we became an established Premier League club, we would beat this, our fan base is strong considering the size of the city. In the 11 point season, we sold out every match. 

45 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

The population of Derby then was approximately 150 thousand and now it is nearer 250 thousand so no reason why we could not get a bigger attendance if Pride Park was extended around the horseshoe.

So many reasons that it would never be the case..... mainly that we are rubbish, playing teams like Wycombe and Barnsley on a regular basis, there is no money to extend the stadium, there are no fans at all and there probably wont be at capacity for the rest of the year, we never fill it anyway, no one has any money etc etc etc

But aside from that, great idea!

6 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

So many reasons that it would never be the case..... mainly that we are rubbish, playing teams like Wycombe and Barnsley on a regular basis, there is no money to extend the stadium, there are no fans at all and there probably wont be at capacity for the rest of the year, we never fill it anyway, no one has any money etc etc etc

But aside from that, great idea!

You’re a right barrel of laughs aren’t you?! 

6 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

You’re a right barrel of laughs aren’t you?! 

Yeah, being realistic is hillarious.... since 1889 we have only ever ONCE had an attendance over 40 thousand....that is once in over 130 years...once... im not stat genius but I would think those number suggest that it isnt very likely to happen again...wouldnt you?

Archived