eccles the ram

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Yeah, being realistic is hillarious.... since 1889 we have only ever ONCE had an attendance over 40 thousand....that is once in over 130 years...once... im not stat genius but I would think those number suggest that it isnt very likely to happen again...wouldnt you?

Genuine question...

Was that a typo, or is 1889 significant?  Did we get more than 40k before 1889?

#Asking for myself.

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Genuine question...

Was that a typo, or is 1889 significant?  Did we get more than 40k before 1889?

#Asking for myself.

no, it wasn't a typo, it was just the first year that I could find records for, and that year the average gate is recorded as 3050 so i am thinking we didn't have over 40000 before that..

I didn't support any football team on 20th September 1969.

However six days laterI broke my leg in a motorbike vs lorry fight.

Having nowt better to do I started taking an interest in the miraculous exploits of DCFC and soon became a PopSider.

We got pretty close to 41827 during those years!

We were in the pop side, crammed in like pilchards. At end this bloke near us was lying on the terrace. Seemed he'd been taken ill sometime earlier but was held upright  until the crowd eased off to go home. When he came round he thought score was 3-0! Nearly fainted again.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Yeah, being realistic is hillarious.... since 1889 we have only ever ONCE had an attendance over 40 thousand....that is once in over 130 years...once... im not stat genius but I would think those number suggest that it isnt very likely to happen again...wouldnt you?

There was over 40,000 on six occasions that season.You are right on one thing though, you’re not a stats genius 

If we were to maintain our prescience in the prem and finish top 10 on a regular basis I think we would have grounds to increase capacity.

There wasn’t a season ticket to be had and very few match tickets when we were last in the prem, and it was “that” season.

Rooney and him from one direction are taking us up to a higher level! And hopefully new owners.

4 hours ago, eccles the ram said:

20th September 1969 5 - 0 Against Spurs. Derby's record home attendance. I was there and then saw it on ATV on Sunday with Hugh Johns commentating. What memories! Anyone else there? 

I was there. Dave Mackay lording it over everyone. Unforgettable. Brilliant. Electric atmosphere.

I was 16 years old and stood on the Popside towards the Normanton End.

It was pay on the gate and it was heaving one hour before kick-off, with a big mob of Spurs fans trying to push and shove through to take over the Popside.

If I remember correctly, it was a hot afternoon, and the atmosphere was just buzzing and the sound terrific. Great football and some brilliant goals from Derby, as well as the save of the season by Green from a shot by Greaves.

42 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

There was over 40,000 on six occasions that season.You are right on one thing though, you’re not a stats genius 

sorry I am also not a English genius, i meant to wrote, that since records began in 1889 we have only ever once had our highest gate of the season be over 40,000... so that means in 130 years we have had over 40,000 6 times in total... say with an average of 30 home games a season that would mean an average of 0.15% of our games have been over 40,000...is that right? Whatever it is miniscule and shows why we never need to extend the ground.

Archived