The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

On 16/06/2021 at 09:47, Eddie said:

If the 25th is "Silver", then 24th might be "Scout".

(I wonder who'll get that?)

On 16/06/2021 at 18:46, Eddie said:

Answer - probably nobody did.

What the hell are you wittering on about, kemosabe?   

Just get down off your high horse!   ?

53 minutes ago, Archied said:

For me it’s not just about what the restrictions are now, the more depressing thing is the constant threat that the gov can ,will and do change our lives at the drop of a hat and based on data that they decide the meaning of , models from modellers constantly looking for the worst case scenario to scare everyone and always turning out massively wrong ??‍♂️

Yes this is my fear too. 

The amount of people saying 'its only another month' is scary.

We had restrictions imposed a whole 15 months ago now and were told it was '2 weeks to flatten the curve'. We have not had our freedoms back since then.

13 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

One couple that I know. Absolutely bricking it despite having both jabs. Other than that, not a sole.

Dover or Lemon ?

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

From the i newspaper

image.png.252654e845bf7ec868f2f391d0fdd0f7.png

Enjoy Cornwall!

If anyone is going, be prepared for a few cancelled tables if you have booked in advance and a bit of a faff if you have to walk up anywhere .  We came back today and on two occasions in the last two days had reservations cancelled after restaurants were forced to close for a week owing to "staff being pinged by test and trace", and overheard a cafe we were eating in was having to close after lunch as not enough staff, which was a problem already with seemingly every bar/pub/restaurant advertising front of house positions.  

Another kick for the local Hospitality industry. 

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

We came back today and on two occasions in the last two days had reservations cancelled after restaurants were forced to close for a week owing to "staff being pinged by test and trace", and overheard a cafe we were eating in was having to close after lunch as not enough staff, which was a problem already with seemingly every bar/pub/restaurant advertising front of house positions.  

No more restrictions! Open up now!

Also:

Why are all the pubs and restaurants I want to go to having to close because of staff isolating? 

Not aimed at you Joe - but we all know know it's coming

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

If anyone is going, be prepared for a few cancelled tables if you have booked in advance and a bit of a faff if you have to walk up anywhere .  We came back today and on two occasions in the last two days had reservations cancelled after restaurants were forced to close for a week owing to "staff being pinged by test and trace", and overheard a cafe we were eating in was having to close after lunch as not enough staff, which was a problem already with seemingly every bar/pub/restaurant advertising front of house positions.  

Another kick for the local Hospitality industry. 

Was the same in Weymouth couple of weeks ago.

All bars and restaurants were advertising for staff. A lot of the young Europeans either didn't qualify or couldn't afford the fees to apply to stay. Some pubs were hopeful that they'll get college/uni lads and lasses in over the summer but with table service only they were struggling.

A couple of pubs away from the sea front were almost back to normal, ordering at the bar but sitting down once served because they just didn't have the staff to do tables.

Maybe this is selfish, but I genuinely can't see a reason to get vaccinated without the guarantee of life without restrictions. Why would I take an incredibly low but higher risk of both illness and death from a vaccine, than just putting up with the covid itself if life isn't as normal any way? I don't really fancy a day of being poorly if I'm not going to be able to live life normally anyway. 

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

Maybe this is selfish, but I genuinely can't see a reason to get vaccinated without the guarantee of life without restrictions. Why would I take an incredibly low but higher risk of both illness and death from a vaccine, than just putting up with the covid itself if life isn't as normal any way? I don't really fancy a day of being poorly if I'm not going to be able to live life normally anyway. 

I’ve not seen them but what are the statistical risks of illness/death from the vaccine v illness/death from the virus?

I suspect they would significantly support taking the vaccine. So, you’d not only be “putting up with the covid itself” you’d be accepting the risks it brings above that of taking the vaccine.

I know covid deaths and hospitalisations are very low but, how often do you hear about deaths and hospitalisations from taking the vaccine?

Personally, I’d  much rather take the incredibly low risk of illness (apart from a day or two of a bad head) and death from taking the vaccine than the very low risk of illness (short and long term) and death if I catch the virus. Not to mention the risk of passing it on to friends and family if I did catch it?

Maybe I’m biased or maybe I’m slightly more informed but, I’ve mentioned before that my daughter has a degree in pharmacology and used to work for AZ in early drugs trials and my brother in law has a PHD in chemistry and used to work in research for Pfizer so, they know a little more about such things than the rest of us. (Neither currently work either company so they have no vested interest in promoting the vaccine).

18 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’ve not seen them but what are the statistical risks of illness/death from the vaccine v illness/death from the virus?

I suspect they would significantly support taking the vaccine. So, you’d not only be “putting up with the covid itself” you’d be accepting the risks it brings above that of taking the vaccine.

I know covid deaths and hospitalisations are very low but, how often do you hear about deaths and hospitalisations from taking the vaccine?

If everyone who has died with covid had been vaccinated, the death toll would have been reduced by 100,000.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

If everyone who has died with covid had been vaccinated, the death toll would have been reduced by 100,000.

Are you including deaths from any cause within 28 days of a positive test in your calc or just those that died OF covid??‍♂️
are there any figures for deaths from any cause within 28 days of a vaccination?

Edited by Archied

24 minutes ago, Archied said:

Are you including deaths from any cause within 28 days of a positive test in your calc or just those that died OF covid??‍♂️
are there any figures for deaths from any cause within 28 days of a vaccination?

Why about those who have  died of boredom from hearing this argument for nearly 18 months?

16 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Why about those who have  died of boredom from hearing this argument for nearly 18 months?

I think that it's quite refreshing that so many people who were basically Covid-sceptic at the start of the pandemic have been persuaded, by the overwhelming force of logical argument, to change their attitude and accept the reality of the situation.

Wow! I managed to keep a straight face while I was typing that.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

The number of people who would have died from complications after having the vaccine (when I read previously, was a few weeks ago now so inflate accordingly) was calculated at 33. The people who died of unrelated non-covid reasons would be a tiny fraction of the 130k who died with covid on their death certificate. So, net savings well in excess of 100k lives.

11 minutes ago, maxjam said:

So the plebs that have been double jabbed still can't go.  Nice.

Like it - "Government hints that it might just be corrupt and happy to provide superior treatment to those with a lot of money"

Why do we put up with this shizzle?

Neil Ferguson now saying the Indian variant may not be as bad as 1st thought. Great timing Neil, could you of not mentioned this before Monday when Big Boris decided to not let us loose on the 21st….