The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

Ooh. Now I don't recognise that which is not surprising as I haven’t lived in Belper since 1985. Where /what is Angels? Is it somewhere for @sages birthday drinks in a couple of weeks (when I will be paying a visit). 

It's a micropub on the Market Place; same owners as my local - Beehive/Honeypot. I think young @sage frequents it from time to time.

All beer is £3 a pint! Well it is at Ripley, don't know whether there's a premium for drinking in posh Belper! 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

It's a micropub on the Market Place; same owners as my local - Beehive/Honeypot. I think young @sage frequents it from time to time.

All beer is £3 a pint! Well it is at Ripley, don't know whether there's a premium for drinking in posh Belper! 

Does the old moaning bugger @sage frequent it too?

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

3 pounds a pint......... 

Bought a pint of local microbrewery ipa in our local last week.... £6.10...

?

19 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Ooh. Now I don't recognise that which is not surprising as I haven’t lived in Belper since 1985. Where /what is Angels? Is it somewhere for @sages birthday drinks in a couple of weeks (when I will be paying a visit). 

I think it's one of his 'locals'. Just off the Market Place. Titanic Plum Porter - what's not to like?

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

@David made a pretty strong post on page one of this thread and the majority have been very careful, other than to occasionally criticise covid policies etc, to avoid bringing politics back into the thread.  

I personally feel that in recent times especially, political opinions have been creeping back into this thread and whilst I don't personally agree with a lot of what this Government has been doing it is hard to lay all of the blame at their feet when the opposition have done an excellent job of alienating their base and empowering the Tories - but to discuss this would lead to posts being removed and as has been happening, a one-sided narrative starting to emerge.

Ultimately, this thread should be about covid.  With the vaccination program we're rapidly reaching (if not already reached) herd immunity and on the verge (give or take a few weeks) of returning to normal.  We should be celebrating the successes or discussing variants etc, anything else, I thought, was a banned topic of conversation - especially when, as discussed, actually having a conversation would result in posts being removed anyway.

Good post comrade!

Gonna be interesting how things play out over the next few years. There are a lot of questions that need answering within the UK and I see very few people capable of providing mature and effective leadership and governance.

It's hard not be pessimistic and see more global conflict on the horizon, especially with climate change causing extra problems. Maybe this is a depressingly natural cycle, as now there are very few people left who remember the horrors of war on our doorstep.

BBC reporting a 4 week extension to measures still in place, looks like Sage and the media have their way.

Question that should be asked today - PM you said as recent as last Monday that there was nothing in the data requiring an extension of measures left in place, what has changed

Question that more likely will be asked today - PM you promised we would open up on 21st, will you be resigning?

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

BBC reporting a 4 week extension to measures still in place, looks like Sage and the media have their way.

Question that should be asked today - PM you said as recent as last Monday that there was nothing in the data requiring an extension of measures left in place, what has changed

Question that more likely will be asked today - PM you promised we would open up on 21st, will you be resigning?

Give him a break, this is an improvement! Remember when it was fine to go back to school for one day after Christmas, until a full on lockdown was announced the next day?

Or when he said Starmer wanted to destroy the economy by locking down in November, then announced a November lockdown a few days later?

Or when he said Starmer wanted to ruin Christmas, then announced massive Christmas restrictions almost straight away?

They've been leaking this change for a good week now, and also giving us a week's notice. It's wonderful planning in comparison!

45 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I mean this isn't even the worst u turn, the school one where they sent all the kids back to school for a day.... 

BJ will say they always said that the 21 June was the earliest date for reopening everything. 

What they'll do is throw a bone today about some additional stuff that can reopen to ease the pain . I reckon they'll permit weddings and maybe extend rule of 6 to rule of 10 or something. 

38 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I mean this isn't even the worst u turn, the school one where they sent all the kids back to school for a day.... 

BJ will say they always said that the 21 June was the earliest date for reopening everything. 

What they'll do is throw a bone today about some additional stuff that can reopen to ease the pain . I reckon they'll permit weddings and maybe extend rule of 6 to rule of 10 or something. 

Make you right there.. He will defo give some concessions.

10 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I wonder if the 4 week leak will turn into a 2 week delay, and everyone will say it's a success story because it's less than we thought it would be.

I hope, but I bet not. No-one would be happy with that, but some are happy with 4 weeks.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Happy ain't the right word, but I think most people are relaxed about taking a cautious approach. If that means extending deadlines for releasing lockdown fully, most people are behind it.

Says who? The media scaring the public into expecting lots more deaths and hospitalisations based on what?