If you could pick 2 Rams games....

Jimbo Ram

Relive - Leeds A play-offs 

wish I was there - Man Utd A 96/97. I became interested in football the season after so missed it completely. Seeing Wanchope’s debut goal would’ve been great (he’s my favourite Derby player).

Also Watford H 1999/2000 sticks in my mind as I was too ill to go. We won 4-0 and we didn’t win many that season.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relive

Derby 5 Arsenal 0 1972-73 

I wish I was there

leeds away in the play off semi. 
At the last minute I had sudden urge to go and a ticket was available on the forum but I couldn’t get away from work in time. 

12 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Relive.....so many... but I would go for the play off final against West Brom. 

one I wasn’t at, I was going to say Real Madrid etc but instead I will go for Plymouth at home on the last game of the season to win the league, mum and dad who hate football thought It was acceptable to book or first ever holiday abroad so that I missed It....

I was there when we beat Plymouth. The way we won it (4 - 2) if memory serves with a great Bobby Davison goal. Th e pride and passion both on and off the pitch was immense. At the end there were grown men in tears in the stands. Awesome feeling.

The one I wish I was at? Obviously the Leeds playoff. I was in Cardiff for an annual get together during the first game and was ridiculed throughout the loss. My best man is a Leeds supporter and he was on at me all week. Reminding me that no team had ever come form behind to win away in the second leg.  I was so proud and just couldn't help myself by sending messages to him during the game. 

Great thread.. Has got me thinking though.. I’m going for two not mentioned before and two that ultimately ended in tears.

Honourable mentions for the attended games are the Charity Shield, WBA play offs, R Madrid, Leeds, Palace etc. However I am going for Hull away in the play offs. The game was realistically a dead rubber after the first leg but what a night. The fans that night were amazing, great atmosphere, no moaning just everyone there having a great night out. It was special.

The one that I would have loved to attend but it was not to be for a number of reasons was also a defeat. Last game at the BBG against Arsenal. That place was such a big part of my life and I missed the last competitive game there. ??

Relive: Either Leeds (obvious reasons) or the 2007 Play Off Final (was too young to really appreciate it at the time).

One I didn't attend: In my lifetime, Norwich away under Lampard. I was so close to going but others decided to pull out and I couldn't afford the train. Or maybe the 10-men game against Forest. Before I was born, there are too many to choose from.

Relive - Forest 1 Derby 1 Boxing Day 1978. My first away game, went with my Dads mate who was a Forest fan so had to go with the home fans. Cheering a John Robertson penalty miss was a highlight! Big blokes looking around to see who was doing the cheering and seeing it was a kid!

Wanted to be there - Playoff final v WBA.

Games i wished id been at 1946 cup final and the 4 all draw with man utd Boxing day 1970...best games attended Benfica and Real Madrid...although if i can add the man u Fa cup semi final we lost 2-0 was also a game i attended that will live long in the memory for a variety of reasons lol oh yes and the 2-0 win over West Ham in the charity shield was a great day out...oooh i could go on for ages lol

3 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

I was there when we beat Plymouth. The way we won it (4 - 2) if memory serves with a great Bobby Davison goal. Th e pride and passion both on and off the pitch was immense. At the end there were grown men in tears in the stands. Awesome feeling.

The one I wish I was at? Obviously the Leeds playoff. I was in Cardiff for an annual get together during the first game and was ridiculed throughout the loss. My best man is a Leeds supporter and he was on at me all week. Reminding me that no team had ever come form behind to win away in the second leg.  I was so proud and just couldn't help myself by sending messages to him during the game. 

I’ve got the Plymouth game on VHS.... yes yes I am that old. Was there too. Always have an affinity towards Plymouth fans. They wanted to stay to watch us celebrate. Good luck always to The Pilgrims! 
Watching now oh how the game and pitches have changed (till this season anyway ?

Games to relive - Derby 8 Spurs 2 in 1976 - I was only 8 so didn't fully appreciate what I was watching even though I do remember it

The 2nd half of the 4-0 win against Southampton in the 1st season at Pride Park, when I realised we'd got a special team on our hands.

For the pure adrenalin & experience, the win at Leeds in the play offs - oh, what a night

Games I wished I'd been at - Arsenal away in 1989 - doing the double over the champions elect & Dean Saunders making Tony Adams look like a donkey & the 3-2 win at Old Trafford in 1997

Maybe this would be a good alternative book for Derby fans - experiences at games - home and away

It could be a bestseller

I'd love to go back to some of the games stood in the 'Kids Corner' at the BBG like the pitch invasion game against Fulham in 1983 & when we used to hop over the fence at halftime to sit in the 'A' stand

15 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

I'd also like to relive the day out that me & my mates had in London for the Wembley game against Cremonese in the Anglo Italian Final but that was nothing to do with the football ?

Good point there.....would love to relive some of the greatest days out around football, not necessarily the actual match!

Would like to relive the Southampton play off match in 2007 or the 2-1 ten men match. Used to love going to Forest when we had that whole end.

Match I wish I'd been at - Leeds play off 2019. I actually had a ticket but I didn't realise. I was on the waiting list at Derby in case people returned tickets. I checked my voicemails a few days after the match and their was a message from Derby Ticket Office saying they had a ticket for me. Always taints the match a bit for me when I see highlights of it, knowing I could've been there.

So many games I'd like to relive. Rotherham promotion night - fantastic atmosphere and the beginning of a new era. Plymouth the following season - seeing us rip them apart in the second half and knowing that we had the base of a very competitive division one team. The two visits to Bramall Lane - probably the best atmosphere I've ever been in and both ending in 1-0 wins. The Crystal Palace promotion game - again the beginning of a new era. I would like to revisit my first ever game, but I can't remember who it was against as I was about 3 at the time. It certainly made an impression on me though. So many more games that were special for different reasons - either the performance or the significance of the game but I've got to choose one.

I'm going for a game that in the importance of the game and even the performance wasn't a stand out game, but the absolute scenes in the ground when the first goal went in. Notts County away I think in 1986. The game was fairly drab for a long time, only really brightened by the banter being given by about 10 Forest fans close to the away end. When Derby scored the whole ground, and I mean all 4 sides went crazy. More than 3/4 there in the ground were Rams, probably about 12000 of us. The Forest fans just went very white and left the ground very quickly.

Games that I missed. The big European nights. Leeds semifinal. Playoffs. Quite a few away days under Cox. I'm going for Brighton semifinal however. I watched it on the tele, but I would have loved to have been there.

Relive : too many to choose from but there was some fantastic games in the run in to win the League in 1975. I was 14 but remember the unbelievable tension building as we went on an unbeaten run and were neck and neck with 3 or 4 other clubs before pipping Liverpool for the title. There was a 5-0 win over Luton (Big Rog scored all 5) followed by a 5-2 away win at Burnley but the one I've picked was a tight, tense 1-0 win v West Ham, 3rd from last game. 

We just had to win. The Popside was packed, the chants of "were gonna win the League, AGAIN" echoing round. There was even a prematch visit from a dozen or so of West Ham's finest that racked the tension up another notch. it was tribal, gladiatorial, the swaying of the crowd made it feel like you was part of something bigger, excitement, fear, total immersion in the theatre of it all.

The game was close and nervy but Bruce Rioch popped up to score the winner. Never was Bruce's song sang with such gusto...

Hello Hello how do you do

We are the boys in white and blue

we love to sing we love to fight

we hate the boys in red and white

we'll sing a song in harmony

we'll sing a song in victory

The Villa fans will never mock

when they remember Bruce Rioch

Rioch! Rioch!

The one I missed Leeds away play off ?

Archived