If you could pick 2 Rams games....

Jimbo Ram

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Relive : too many to choose from but there was some fantastic games in the run in to win the League in 1975. I was 14 but remember the unbelievable tension building as we went on an unbeaten run and were neck and neck with 3 or 4 other clubs before pipping Liverpool for the title. There was a 5-0 win over Luton (Big Rog scored all 5) followed by a 5-2 away win at Burnley but the one I've picked was a tight, tense 1-0 win v West Ham, 3rd from last game. 

We just had to win. The Popside was packed, the chants of "were gonna win the League, AGAIN" echoing round. There was even a prematch visit from a dozen or so of West Ham's finest that racked the tension up another notch. it was tribal, gladiatorial, the swaying of the crowd made it feel like you was part of something bigger, excitement, fear, total immersion in the theatre of it all.

The game was close and nervy but Bruce Rioch popped up to score the winner. Never was Bruce's song sang with such gusto...

Hello Hello how do you do

We are the boys in white and blue

we love to sing we love to fight

we hate the boys in red and white

we'll sing a song in harmony

we'll sing a song in victory

The Villa fans will never mock

when they remember Bruce Rioch

Rioch! Rioch!

The one I missed Leeds away play off ?

Loved that chant! As you say, some really special games that season. I must admit they all blur into one after all this time but the atmosphere at home games was electric. Great description!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby v Leeds in 1975 which we won 3-2 the infamous Lee/Hunter fight and Roger Davies winning goal near the end. A fantastic match at The Baseball Ground. 

Would of loved to have seen the 4-1 Real Madrid win in the European Cup when Charlie George got a 3 goals. Couldn't believe we lost the return 5-1. 

To re-live: the play-off final win against WBA... a bang average game, but the feeling at full time (and when Pearson's goal went in) are 2 of the best I've experienced in football.

To experience (that I wasn't there for): the glory days of the 70's were before my time, but I'd love to see the Rams in Europe, so Derby 3-0 Benfica. Sadly, it doesn't look like anything like that will be happening any time soon... however, Leicester fans were probably saying the same 10-12 years ago, so I live in hope ?

I went to the big European nights, amazing as they were as a kid I thought this is what it’s like supporting Derby. So my live again would be v Forest 1983 fa cup win, now in my 20s I knew what it meant to support your team the pain, frustration, anger!

Would loved to have been at Leeds with Lampard. My nephew had a ticket but after 1st leg wasn’t bothered about going, told him we could still do it without believing it myself. He was 16 and will remember it like I do the Real Madrid night.

47 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Derby v Leeds in 1975 which we won 3-2 the infamous Lee/Hunter fight and Roger Davies winning goal near the end. A fantastic match at The Baseball Ground. 

Would of loved to have seen the 4-1 Real Madrid win in the European Cup when Charlie George got a 3 goals. Couldn't believe we lost the return 5-1. 

Close to my selections. For the "attended" one, I was torn between that game against Leeds and the 4-1 beating of Forest. Sure it was after they were champions and during the season we were relegated but, oh boy, it was great to get one over them.

On the "wish I had attended", yes the game against Real Madrid. But, again, I was torn - the play off second leg against Leeds has to be up there.

Dunno, every time I post on threads like this, there seems to be a common theme around my enjoyment of beating Leeds and Forest. Dunno why.

EDIT: Just seen @hiltonram's post. I think they are right...the atmosphere was even better for the 1983 cup win, again over Forest. Go figure.

Great thread this.

...And a great shout for re-living "the occasion" rather than specific games.  Despite us being "on the way down" by the time I got into away games, those 3 seasons towards the end of the '70's were an absolute joy... and an eye opener... for a lad coming to the end of his school years, and travelling to away games "with the boys". 
Who would have thought that a last match at Carrow Rd, with relegation already confirmed, would remain a highlight for so long!
Heady days indeed.
And of course, my first match ended in the never-to-be forgotten sight of the most important domestic trophy of them all, being presented to my team... despite the actual game v Carlisle being crap!  

Actual matches to re-visit:
Honorary mentions for the likes of 8-2 v Spurs, 4-0 City (Peno spot game), The PO Semi v Saints (home), The win over Palace (RvdL), at least 3 at home to The Dogs (5-0, 4-1, and the cup win), and various away wins in the late '70's, which became rarer as that particular era came to an end.
And whilst I didn't witness those glory nights, I did get to see a couple of Euro games (Finn Harps & AEK Athens).  I'd be happy to do that again!  

Winner:  Alan Hinton's Testimonial!  I literally remember nothing about the game, but when the floodlights went out, and that solitary spotlight centred on one man, I just thought "Wow!  How bloody fantastic is that"!  :-)

Wish I was there:
Mentions for PO final 2007, the euro nights v Real, Benfica et al. "That Wednesday night v Chelsea (68?).  "That Friday night v Rotherham" (Cool as custard!).  Elland Rd PO semi, Wanchope at OT, PO semi home to Brighton, both ten men and the cup comeback at the pink council house, and the Lee/Hunter bout.

Runner-Up: FA Cup Final 1946.

Clear Winner:  Home to Watford, May '82. 
We needed to win to avoid relegation to the third tier.  We won 3-2.  Had I been there, that would have meant I witnessed the joy of staying up, avoided being arrested at Ivy Square, on the way to the game (wrongfully in my mind, seeing as I was being attacked, but hey, Maggie was clamping down, so I was advised to plead guilty to breach of the peace, and pay off my £80 fine at £3 per week!), avoided spending 3 hours in a cell, avoided having a police record, and avoided having my name in the telegraph court column, under the heading "This week's football hooligans" or some such piffle!  "Thankfully"(!) my parents were no longer with us, to share my shame!  

Wish I hadn't been there:
Mentions for Plymouth cup game defeat (Steve Cherry and THAT corner!), 5-0 defeat at Anfield, stood centre of The Kop. 3-0 defeat at Cambridge while we all embarrassingly wore our brand new Yellow "We'll be back in '81" Tee shirts!

Winner:  3rd div Preston away, Jan '79, FA cup 3rd rd, lost 3-0 and my first ever experience of being on the wrong end of a giant killing... and the coldest night of my life!

So Glad I wasn't there:

Mentions:  Fester PO Final,  Hillsborough '76, 

Winner:  QPR PO Final

Re-live: Saints play-off semi final. Probably the best ever Pride Park atmosphere. Brighton play off semi runs it close, but went for the Saints game as I was younger and more excitable.

One I missed: FA Cup final 1946. Given the state of the world at the time, that win probably made us the best team in Europe. I don't think we'll ever win the league again, and if we do unless you do a Man City 2012 there's not really a definitive moment of when it was won, but every year could be ours in the FA Cup and that one day out would be incredible. Kills me when we play weakened sides. My Grandfather was born in 46 and he was the man who got me into football and Derby County and I'd love to go to Wembley with him and see us win it in his lifetime.

All this talk of past glories, I feel a sudden urge to inform of a more personal glory (apologies if I've mentioned it before!)...

While everyone else danced in the rain on the pitch, following our former hero's penalty launch into space, yours truly remained high up in the back of the SE corner, almost rupturing my lungs, to pay homage to said former hero.

It felt like forever, and was becoming most uncomfortable, but I offer no shame or embarrassment for being the instigator, and offer my sincere thanks to you all, for finally joining me, in a stadium-wide rendition of "Idiak, Idiakez, Away, Away, Away..."

940C5D43-B13D-743E-A309B1DC024DC2ED.jpg

23 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Another one to add to the wish I could see again would be Burnley away Easter Monday 1975. Felt like we had won the league. Think it was 5  1 away. 

Think it was 5-2, it was commentary match on Radio 2 and we were travelling back from staying with relatives in the car as we listened, can remember it like yesterday. Another game that hasn't been mentioned as yet I think is the comeback FA Cup game at Spurs in the early 70's, 3-1 down and then came back and won in extra time. Was only 7 or 8 and can still remember my brother coming in to wake me up and tell me the Rams had won........

I think I would like to see the home game towards the end of the season against Man city in 1980 where David Swindlehurst signed on the pitch before the game and then went and scored along with Alan Biley and Derby won scoring 4 goals. we'll be back in 81.

The games I wish I went to are the Real Madrid, 1946 FA cup final, one of the early games at the BBG that included Steve Bloomer, forist at home in 1979 when we won 4-1, however Graham Richards did do it justice on the radio with his Shiltons dropped it and Duncan is through and hes scooored. Also the 5-0 win against florist with the legend Craig Bryson hatrick.

45 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

I think I would like to see the home game towards the end of the season against Man city in 1980 where David Swindlehurst signed on the pitch before the game and then went and scored along with Alan Biley and Derby won scoring 4 goals. we'll be back in 81.

And the away fans were singing "what a waste of money" so when Swindlehurst scored he ran over, jumped up onto the railings on the popside and waved his fist at them.

Funny how you can have such good times during relegation seasons, eh?

https://www.11v11.com/matches/Derby-county-v-manchester-city-26-april-1980-85298/

Archived