If you could pick 2 Rams games....

Jimbo Ram

36 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Wow what a trophy. That match is legendary. I didn't go myself even though I had just started going in 1968, but my brother Paul went and still talks about it now. Amazing to have the ball. My Dad went to the 46 final. As a family I think we've seen almost every memorable match in the Rams post war history, another brother even went to the bernabeu in 1975.

I don't know, these fair weather Rams fans....

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an oldie the 2-0 win against Shankly's runaway Division 2 Champions in 1961. The BBG was more than rocking as a blinder from Mick Hopkinson and a special Bill Curry goal sealed the deal.  But then mayhem ensued. Ron Yeats, who was rated the best centre half in the country, was so annoyed at being made to look like a gibbering idiot by Curry he took him out and smashed him into the railings surrounding the pitch! Well, the crowd wanted blood and a pitch invasion ensued! One bloke with a Rams Flag was swatting Liverpool fans like flies. Curry was carried off and eventually, order was restored and the match ended with a memorable Derby win but the bad blood continued all the way to the Midland Station where more mayhem ensued. This was the era of fan violence and Liverpool were renowned for dishing it out. A Reds mate says they were used to dishing it out but that day he said they were poo scared! Perhaps I remember this for the wrong reason but as a teenager at the time it does hold a special memory. Liverpool romped the league and their dominance of English football had begun. 

The Chelsea game will long live in the memory as it was the signal that we had arrived and were about to shake up the top division. We were brilliant that day and the BBG atmosphere was simply awesome, a human wall of sound! I can still hear it now, mind blowing! 

The downer as the WBA final,  yes we won but I wasn't there. Regret that to this day! 

1 hour ago, PendineRam said:

As an oldie the 2-0 win against Shankly's runaway Division 2 Champions in 1961. The BBG was more than rocking as a blinder from Mick Hopkinson and a special Bill Curry goal sealed the deal.  But then mayhem ensued. Ron Yeats, who was rated the best centre half in the country, was so annoyed at being made to look like a gibbering idiot by Curry he took him out and smashed him into the railings surrounding the pitch! Well, the crowd wanted blood and a pitch invasion ensued! One bloke with a Rams Flag was swatting Liverpool fans like flies. Curry was carried off and eventually, order was restored and the match ended with a memorable Derby win but the bad blood continued all the way to the Midland Station where more mayhem ensued. This was the era of fan violence and Liverpool were renowned for dishing it out. A Reds mate says they were used to dishing it out but that day he said they were poo scared! Perhaps I remember this for the wrong reason but as a teenager at the time it does hold a special memory. Liverpool romped the league and their dominance of English football had begun. 

The Chelsea game will long live in the memory as it was the signal that we had arrived and were about to shake up the top division. We were brilliant that day and the BBG atmosphere was simply awesome, a human wall of sound! I can still hear it now, mind blowing! 

The downer as the WBA final,  yes we won but I wasn't there. Regret that to this day! 

Hooligan!

On 09/02/2021 at 18:54, angieram said:

Easy. Leeds away semi-final win under Lampard to experience again. Forget the heartbreak that followed, that night was special.

FA Cup final against Charlton. I wasn't even born, but to see the Rams lift the FA Cup, something I think will never happen again, must have been so special.

(If it has to be in your own lifetime I would pick Rams 4 - 1 v Real Madrid as I was only able to listen to it on the radio, being away at uni at the time.)

Ditto this, apart from the fact when Rams beat Real Madrid I was only 4. 

I’d love to go back to the 2-1 promotion Palace game at the BBG, what a day ( closely followed by beating Plymouth 4-2, going up as champions) 

The one I wish I could of been at is the playoff semis Vs Leeds at their place, i envy anyone there that night it looked amazing to be in the Rams end. 

Two I was at and loved - The Tin Man away win at Spurs and the play-off semi-final at Leeds (Take your scarves and duck off home ? ).

Two I was at and hated - Fulham (away) play-off semi-final second leg and the F A Cup quarter final at home to Plymouth when we thought the club was going to fold.

Two I wasn't at but wished I was - The FA Cup Final in 1946 (wasn't born!) and the Real Madrid 4-1.

Two I wasn't at and am glad I wasn't - The Bobby Zamora Play-Off Final (Bad enough on TV!!!) and last week's debacle against Rotherham.

Like many others have posted the Chelsea game in 1968 was great. For atmosphere only the Hunter-Lee fight Leeds game and the Real Madrid night come close. It was then that we realised we had a top team that could beat anyone. In fact, when we lost to Burnley in the FA Cup later in season I was shocked. Even though we were still in the Second Division I already believed we were one of the top teams in the country.

The Alan Hinton Testimonial was an emotional evening. The Saturday evening kick off was an unusual time for a game but there was a massive attendance for a testimonial - about 28,000 I think. The only thing I remember about the game itself was Duncan McKenzie getting past someone on the Popside wing with a rainbow flick. But my memory sometimes plays tricks on me and that might have been in the Leeds game I mentioned above. Whoever handled the lights and the music when Alan Hinton ran out on to the pitch did a great job.

The game I missed that I wished I had seen was the Benfica game. I've seen some wonderful world class players at the Baseball Ground like Netzer and Breitner and I would have loved to have been able to add Eusebio to that list although he was well past his best in the 1970s. 

IMG_0393.thumb.JPG.95437425d57911fa0062be3b6d302eab.JPG

A few people have mentioned Benfica. I took a tour of the Stadia da Luz in 2019 and in their museum we get a mention on their wall of fame of all the clubs they have played in European competition as per photo. When I told the guide I had seen Eusebio play they were really interested in the story but no so much about the scoreline.

36 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

IMG_0393.thumb.JPG.95437425d57911fa0062be3b6d302eab.JPG

A few people have mentioned Benfica. I took a tour of the Stadia da Luz in 2019 and in their museum we get a mention on their wall of fame of all the clubs they have played in European competition as per photo. When I told the guide I had seen Eusebio play they were really interested in the story but no so much about the scoreline.

A few years ago with time to kill in the North Stand concourse, I got talking to a gentleman who had travelled to many of the European away games, it really was fascinating listening to his stories and made we wish I had been old enough to have experienced those glory years. Time flew by and I was almost reluctant to find my seat to watch the current side!

4 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

A few years ago with time to kill in the North Stand concourse, I got talking to a gentleman who had travelled to many of the European away games, it really was fascinating listening to his stories and made we wish I had been old enough to have experienced those glory years. Time flew by and I was almost reluctant to find my seat to watch the current side!

Went to Sarajevo, Benfica, Madrid both times and AEK. I was only young 11 to 14, and was lucky to have a Dad who loved Derby and travel. He had everything planned for the final in Belgrade too, until we were cheated out of it. 

Game that I attended, Versus Spurs on 20th Sept 1969. It was our record attendance (41,826) A 5-0 win against a Spurs side that had the great Jimmy Greaves, Pat Jennings and Alan Mullery. Goals by Alan Durban x2, Kevin Hector, Willie Carlin and John O'Hare.

Game I would have like to have seen was the F.A cup final 1946. Was not born, but my Dad was in the Army at the time. He'd come home on leave, just got off the train at Midland station when they were passing by on an open top bus. It surprised him at the time not knowing they were holding the cup on their parade around the town.

11 hours ago, PendineRam said:

Hi Pendine.  I was just going to write about the same match when I saw your comments. 21st October 1961 and a crowd of 27300.            

My first game at the BBG was the Preston Cup game in 1959 with the pitch and terracing covered in 2" of snow.

It was the Liverpool game  however that got me addicted to the Rams. In the 'Boys' enclosure with a friend (Robin where are you now??) for the first time on our own.  My first taste of that incredible BBG atmosphere and as you say what a feisty affair it was. Remember Mick Hopkinson seemed to score from about 40 yards - what a screamer, and Bill Curry was superb, ran ring round Yeats. The old BBG was rocking and baying for blood, it was a great win.

60 years later and still addicted - jeez.

At least I have now had my vaccination so hopefully one day soon will get back to doing the 100 mile round trip to home games??

My biggest regret was missing the Chelsea 3-1 League Cup win. By then I was working away from home so could not get to many mid week games so gave my ticket to my dear old Dad.

Lots of great memories and so many years of hurt. Such is life as a Derby fan !!

12 hours ago, PendineRam said:

My late father used to quote this game as his favourite of all time and he watched the Rams from the late 30s right through until the early 90s.

Some years ago I had the pleasure of discussing this game with the great Mick Hopkinson in the Black Boy pub in Heage.  He said it was the highlight of his career and the feeling on the pitch was no less intense that it was on the terraces.  Mick was renowned for what they call today "leaving a foot in" and he still remembered taking his retribution on Yates after the Bill Curry incident.

Great memories....

10 hours ago, Bill Curry said:

My late father used to quote this game as his favourite of all time and he watched the Rams from the late 30s right through until the early 90s.

Some years ago I had the pleasure of discussing this game with the great Mick Hopkinson in the Black Boy pub in Heage.  He said it was the highlight of his career and the feeling on the pitch was no less intense that it was on the terraces.  Mick was renowned for what they call today "leaving a foot in" and he still remembered taking his retribution on Yates after the Bill Curry incident.

Great memories....

Your dad certainly witnessed some good years from the Rams, FA Cup Winners and League Champions twice! Well done to him.

Yes,  Hoppy could handle himself!! Curry was not only a fans favourite but a player's player so the last few minutes of the game became, from the Derby lads, a case of 'if it's wearing red and moves' give it something to remember'! It was a great day for the Rams, as a teenager it's one that I will always remember and cherish. 

As a footnote,  it was another disappointing season for the Rams. After beating the scousers we lay near the top of the table but slumped badly to finish close to the relegation places. Another season in the life of a Ram! 

15 hours ago, gfs1ram said:

Hi Pendine.  I was just going to write about the same match when I saw your comments. 21st October 1961 and a crowd of 27300.            

My first game at the BBG was the Preston Cup game in 1959 with the pitch and terracing covered in 2" of snow.

It was the Liverpool game  however that got me addicted to the Rams. In the 'Boys' enclosure with a friend (Robin where are you now??) for the first time on our own.  My first taste of that incredible BBG atmosphere and as you say what a feisty affair it was. Remember Mick Hopkinson seemed to score from about 40 yards - what a screamer, and Bill Curry was superb, ran ring round Yeats. The old BBG was rocking and baying for blood, it was a great win.

60 years later and still addicted - jeez.

At least I have now had my vaccination so hopefully one day soon will get back to doing the 100 mile round trip to home games??

My biggest regret was missing the Chelsea 3-1 League Cup win. By then I was working away from home so could not get to many mid week games so gave my ticket to my dear old Dad.

Lots of great memories and so many years of hurt. Such is life as a Derby fan !!

Yes gfs1ram, as you say another year in the life of following the Rams. I have witnessed some unbelievable highs and lows following my team but that game and the Chelski one standout. The atmosphere at both games, which only the BBG could generate, remains vivid in my memory and cannot be easily described. The results were brilliant but they were magnified by the BBG's ability to make one's  hair stand on end and that makes them just so very special. 

Rams 5-0 Arsenal 21st February 1970

Rams 3-0 Benfica 25th October 1972

Probably quite obvious as I was at both of these amazing matches.

Perhaps surprisingly Mozza and I were at an amazing match on 2nd September 1970.

Kick off 1930 after a deluge, Rams score twice in first ten minutes but Coventry came back to beat us in a game ending

Rams 3-4 Coventry

Both sets of fans applauded the players after a brilliant game of football. Less than a month after lifting the Watney cup on

8th August 1970 Rams 4-1 Man U

What a time to be a Rams supporter! 
Thanks to Youtube I can relive these matches (bar the Coventry defeat!) and others so I don't need to limit myself to just two!

image.png.378c94822b2fba7b0b468d853c98e8a2.png

6 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

Rams 5-0 Arsenal 21st February 1970

Rams 3-0 Benfica 25th October 1972

Probably quite obvious as I was at both of these amazing matches.

Perhaps surprisingly Mozza and I were at an amazing match on 2nd September 1970.

Kick off 1930 after a deluge, Rams score twice in first ten minutes but Coventry came back to beat us in a game ending

Rams 3-4 Coventry

Both sets of fans applauded the players after a brilliant game of football. Less than a month after lifting the Watney cup on

8th August 1970 Rams 4-1 Man U

What a time to be a Rams supporter! 
Thanks to Youtube I can relive these matches (bar the Coventry defeat!) and others so I don't need to limit myself to just two!

image.png.378c94822b2fba7b0b468d853c98e8a2.png

The Arsenal win was on my fourth birthday ? 

Archived