Are we football snobs?

Eatonram

49 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I know it always sounds like sour grapes, but you're right about the strategy and the ref bought it hook, line and sinker. 

do you remember that bit in the first half when he played on because he did not see a foul then called it back after the loud mouth twit started screaming

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I am in the "I love to watch good football" group.

You always get the "Brilliant, another win under our belts and waxing lyrical about where we are in the league" after any kind of win (great play or not).

But I for one have rarely heard "Oh well third straight loss, but boy we are playing lovely football"

It is a game of perspectives. I would love to be winning most games, I would prefer to see good football along the way, but sometimes you just have to win ugly.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's fine playing that way when you're winning, but awful when not

Yes and that was my entire point. 

Am sure the same people who criticised it wouldn't then distance themselves from buying a season ticket to go and watch the team in the Premiership if it was that offensive to them.

8 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

While I am in the "I love to watch good football" group.

You always get the "Brilliant, another win under our belts and waxing lyrical about where we are in the league" after any kind of win (great play or not).

But I for one have rarely heard "Oh well third straight loss, but boy we are playing lovely football"

It is a game of perspectives. I would love to be winning most games, I would prefer to see good football along the way, but sometimes you just have to win ugly.

Leicester won the league with hoofball to Vardy

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Are you proposing we should play like Rotherham (we haven't got the players to do so)?
Our game plan worked for the previous 3 games but Rotherham's worked only once. Surely our game plan works for us on a more regular basis than Rotherham's works for them?

No team will avoid losing. Leeds lost to 2 of the sides now in League 1 last season... They finished 10 points clear of 2nd!

My view is exactly as the OP, particularly second para......"I like seeing Derby score and win more than anything....if its beautiful football like 2014 all the better. But I'd rather win ugly than lose beautifully."

My point was also about what is required for success in the championship, and the most important building block of "workrate" as achieved by Bielsa. This not about is successful beautiful football better than successful ugly football, as I said we all want to watch what we had in 2014, but even since then, the championship has evolved, without that high press and workmate, success is very elusive....have you not noticed that?

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Give me a season of hoofball and 1-0 wins if it means promotion any day of the week.

Traditionally attractive football is a bonus. But the feeling I get from a few pretty passes is nothing compared to when we score a goal or get a hard-fought win.

Thats the same opinion I've voiced since coming on here.  Worry about attacking international standard football when you there.

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Give me a season of hoofball and 1-0 wins if it means promotion any day of the week.

Traditionally attractive football is a bonus. But the feeling I get from a few pretty passes is nothing compared to when we score a goal or get a hard-fought win.

Pretty passes and winning are not mutually exclusive. Again, I'll cite Mac 1 to support my argument. What hoofball teams are in the top 6 anyway?

Lets adopt and stick with the Leicester / Wolves model - that way, if we ever do get promoted, we might actually stay up.

image.png.0a5ca987a00c25039cf30ee875d082e3.png

36 minutes ago, Spanish said:

do you remember that bit in the first half when he played on because he did not see a foul then called it back after the loud mouth twit started screaming

That's the point the game changed for me.

19 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Pretty passes and winning are not mutually exclusive. Again, I'll cite Mac 1 to support my argument. What hoofball teams are in the top 6 anyway?

Lets adopt and stick with the Leicester / Wolves model - that way, if we ever do get promoted, we might actually stay up.

image.png.0a5ca987a00c25039cf30ee875d082e3.png

I wasn't suggesting they're mutually exclusive. The evidence seems to suggest that the better footballing teams do go on to better things when they go up (though Wolves don't really count because they had Champions League-level players in their squad).

But the OP was implying the question: "Would you rather win ugly or lose beautifully?". And I'd chose the former every single time.

I don’t see that Rotherham played park football.

in the last 15 minutes they wiped the floor with us and could have scored 4

we were a shambles.

Archived