Are we football snobs?

Eatonram

2 hours ago, Eatonram said:

I saw the comment last night about Rotherhams first goal...."Park football goal", well perhaps so, but it was still a goal.

I like seeing Derby score and win more than anything....if its beautiful football like 2014 all the better. But I'd rather win ugly than lose beautifully.

In the championship, possibly more than many leagues across the world, there are a number of ingredients for success that must be there FIRST, and they aren't "skill and talent"...they are (choose your own phrase) Workrate/Fitness/Energy/Desire/pysicality/pace (including size) perm any three from six but workmate is non negotiable.

Bielsa understood this as clearly do several managers in the championship now. Until we have this we will always be vulnerable to the the teams that have it in bundles, even if we have "better players" (and that is questionable).

I could dissect the game last night in minute detail, but their game plan of high press and high ball into our box was going to lead to a goal sooner or later, once they had scored using "park football" and we had to chase the game, then conceding on the break was almost as predictable. We were soundly beaten.

It may be called the beautiful game......but give me winning any day of the week.

I want my cake and I want to eat it.

If that’s snobbish or elitist I don’t care

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Yani P said:

Rotherhams game plan worked because of a clueless ref..3 or 4 early yellow cards would have made them have to change tactics..instead the refs lack of action just encouraged more foul play..

Not at all accurate. Rotherham won (easily) because they were a lot better than us in all areas of the field. 
The red had nothing to do with It. 

3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Not at all accurate. Rotherham won (easily) because they were a lot better than us in all areas of the field. 
The red had nothing to do with It. 

Are you kidding me.  

Good at kicking people in all areas of the field and a weak ref let them do it.

The noise from the stands was also disgraceful IMO

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Are you kidding me.  

Good at kicking people in all areas of the field and a weak ref let them do it.

The noise from the stands was also disgraceful IMO

They played us off the park and could (and should) have won by more. They have done the that twice this season and the noise from the stands...? Come on is that really the best excuse you have got..? 

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

They played us off the park and could (and should) have won by more. They have done the that twice this season and the noise from the stands...? Come on is that really the best excuse you have got..? 

I don’t what game you were watching.

I tell you what I’d rather be us than them. 

At least we tried to play the game properly.

Just now, Curtains said:

I don’t what game you were watching.

I tell you what I’d rather be us than them. 

At least we tried to play the game properly.

Yeah, Newcastle under Keegan “tried to play the game properly” and look what they ended up winning....? I would much rather be George Graham’s Arsenal, shithousing 1-0 wins..! 
They were miles better than us, we never looked like winning that game.

Just now, MuespachRam said:

Yeah, Newcastle under Keegan “tried to play the game properly” and look what they ended up winning....? I would much rather be George Graham’s Arsenal, shithousing 1-0 wins..! 
They were miles better than us, we never looked like winning that game.

Pub team 

3 hours ago, Eatonram said:

Fair enough. But I rather suspect if we were winning every week, as in your scenario, you might get to rather like it a bit more than you think. When you are successful, your gates increase, your away following goes up, you travel to say Wednesday or Boro with a packed away end, and win 3 0 with the exact goals that Rotherham scored last night, I think most would lap it up, I know I would as I've experienced that feeling. Compare that to how you feel after the Wednesday game a few weeks ago, better team by far, played the better football......and lost. We all felt crap.

My problem is I'm 60 and I was spoilt by the glory days of Clough and Taylor and Dave Mackay and then seen some great football under Arthur Cox and Jim Smith to put up with the type of crass football Rotherham play. 

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Give me strength. (Which is something we didn’t have enough of last night) 

Byrne had a bad few minutes after a poor goal given away from free kick because of too high a line .

It happens some times when you chase the game. 
Ball gets to  CKR on two occasions and it’s a different game .

Gregory scores.  Different story. 

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Byrne had a bad few minutes after a poor goal given away from free kick because of too high a line .

It happens some times when you chase the game. 
Ball gets to  CKR on two occasions and it’s a different game .

Gregory scores.  Different story. 

But Byrne DID have a bad few minutes. 
they DID give a free kick away.

The ball DIDNT get to CKR. 
and Gregory didn’t score.

could a would a should a. 

we weren’t good enough, we weren’t strong enough, we weren’t skilful enough and we got exactly what we deserved from the 2 games against Rotherham, who completely out fought us. (And I would say out played us too) 

4 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

My problem is I'm 60 and I was spoilt by the glory days of Clough and Taylor and Dave Mackay and then seen some great football under Arthur Cox and Jim Smith to put up with the type of crass football Rotherham play. 

I'm 61 and so was I spoilt in the same way. If we were capable of winning like that, of course I would take that. This division is dominated in terms of quality, by the parachute payment clubs. Then there are the physically dominant, high work rate teams teams like Rotherham, Barnsley etc who find some success that way......We fall between the gaps. We cannot afford the quality route to success, and I'm afraid we are some distance behind on workrate compared to others..........hence we have the problems we do. You could say Leeds were in exactly the same position 3-4 years ago.....They became the highest pressing, fittest, hardest working team under Bielsa, which then allowed a bit of quality to shine through. Wilders Sheff U did the same. Frankly I think it's glaringly obvious.

Just now, MuespachRam said:

we weren’t good enough, we weren’t strong enough, we weren’t skilful enough and we got exactly what we deserved from the 2 games against Rotherham, who completely out fought us. (And I would say out played us too) 

Fraid to say this is bang on, no point in dressing it up.

13 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Ok mate.

Can remember a 3-3 at Rotherham when we were losing was it 3-0 and got it back to 3-3 with Jessie   Lingard scoring .   Steve McClaren was manager .

I think Rotherham might be Derby’s bogey team .

Did we draw also when Shackell had a row with Wassall after we were winning easy or was that Barnsley. 

Either way both are pub teams in my eyes. 

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Ok mate.

Can remember a 3-3 at Rotherham when we were losing was it 3-0 and got it back to 3-3 with Jessie Lingard scoring .   Steve McClaren was manager .

I think Rotherham might be Derby’s bogey team .

Did we draw also when Shackell had a row with Wassall after we were winning easy or was that Barnsley. 

Either way both are pub teams in my eyes. 

what has any of that got to do with last nights inept performance...? 

Bogey team, man shouting too loud from the stands, they were kicking us.... come on, face it, we were beaten by a better team.

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

what has any of that got to do with last nights inept performance...? 

Bogey team, man shouting too loud from the stands, they were kicking us.... come on, face it, we were beaten by a better team.

Never .

Let’s see where they finish after 46 games compared to us .

They won’t finish above us  

9 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Never .

Let’s see where they finish after 46 games compared to us .

They won’t finish above us  

I agree i don think they will, but in both games we have played them they have been miles better than us and executed their game plan a lot better than we executed ours.

0-1

0-3

says it all really.

Archived