Where Are You Mr Morris?

G STAR RAM

The question that I'd like Mel to answer is, why does he want to sell? I can think of many reasons he couldn't or wouldn't answer that, but I suspect if we knew, a lot more things would make sense. 

If it's true that his personal wealth has increased during the last couple of years, it's unlikely to be just about the money. If true, he can clearly afford to fund the club. Really, once you've got a hundred £million, you can't need anything else. Your life just becomes an opportunity to indulge your hobbies. So if it is a financial decision, either Mel is less financially secure than reported, or he has his eyes on another project.

It could be professional. Maybe he's decided that he's actually not very good at running the club and wants to hand it over to someone better?

I'd say that it's most likely to be personal. I wonder if he is just tired and fed up with the aggravation? Grumpy fans, hostile EFL and trusted employees letting him down?

Whatever the reason, I suspect that he'd get far more understanding if we knew.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I'd say that it's most likely to be personal. I wonder if he is just tired and fed up with the aggravation? Grumpy fans, hostile EFL and trusted employees letting him down?

Perhaps he could get some hints off Steve Gibson, he's owned a football club for a while and he's only worth £270m. 

6 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The question that I'd like Mel to answer is, why does he want to sell? I can think of many reasons he couldn't or wouldn't answer that, but I suspect if we knew, a lot more things would make sense. 

If it's true that his personal wealth has increased during the last couple of years, it's unlikely to be just about the money. If true, he can clearly afford to fund the club. Really, once you've got a hundred £million, you can't need anything else. Your life just becomes an opportunity to indulge your hobbies. So if it is a financial decision, either Mel is less financially secure than reported, or he has his eyes on another project.

It could be professional. Maybe he's decided that he's actually not very good at running the club and wants to hand it over to someone better?

I think genuinely Morris has had a moment of self reflection and realised that running a football club isn't like running a normal business and so far he hasn't made a very good fist of it and are things likely to improve any in the short or medium term?

The spats with Sam Rush and the EFL have probably taken their toll and can imagine the Joiners Arms incident and the subsequent sacking of Keogh and all the negativity publicity have also taken their toll along with the conveyor belt of managers he's presided over - would expect he thinks he has been personally let down by Lampards departure in particular and to a lesser degree Snakeys. 

14 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Losing a lot of money every month and it's unsustainable, especially in coronavirus. I guess he thought we would be Prem by now.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Not really @RamNut...you can’t conduct delicate business in the full glare of publicity! The lack of communication around the takeover is frustrating but perhaps we want to get the January window out of the way so prices of our targets don’t suddenly triple because selling Clubs think “Oh! They’ve just been taken over by a billionaire so they’ve got tons of cash! Let’s rinse them!”. ?‍♂️

Don’t agree. The sale had been done months previously. 

The forum was 27th March 2019 

5 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Losing a lot of money every month and it's unsustainable, especially in coronavirus. I guess he thought we would be Prem by now.

The point is that if Mel's personal fortune has increased in the last couple of years, it is sustainable. He's got more coming in than he's spending on the club. In this case, he's choosing to sell rather than needing to sell.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes, January 2019 from memory. 

MM/SP saying a drop of £x thousand could literally see us fail FFP, knowing full well that we were reporting a profit of £x million.

That is where the dishonesty with fans started and it has snowballed from there.

You absolutely nailed it there.

I know business can be a complex matter but at the end of the day neither Mel or the new owners want to see us relegated.

To give us a good chance of not just staying up but starting plans for next season we need some clarity and at least a couple of signings. I’m not sure Mel holding out for a couple of mil more or the Sheikhs not willing to spend a couple of extra mil to finalise the deal is of any concern to the majority of fans. Just get the deal done so we can move on. Personally my opinion of the sheikhs is already pretty low after how this is dragging out. I’m still a Mel fan but as others have alluded to my opinion of him will start to diminish if things don’t get concluded ASAP.  

11 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The point is that if Mel's personal fortune has increased in the last couple of years, it is sustainable. He's got more coming in than he's spending on the club. In this case, he's choosing to sell rather than needing to sell.

Has it increased? Has the value of his other businesses increased? I don't know, I just remember he was losing a big amount every month through DCFC about 4 years ago way before there was public talk of selling.

Archived