RIP Tommy Docherty

rynny

RIP Tommy - he did sign Steve Buckley for us who made over 300 appearances 

For those who would like to remember what an entertaining after dinner speaker he was visit YouTube and view him speaking at Hednesford Town FC

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed his autobiography.  I think he survived the terrorist explosion at the King David hotel that killed nearly a hundred people. When you've been through something like that you don't worry too much about Rams fans who want to give you an ear bashing because you broke up a winning team. It's still hard to understand why he thought John Middleton for Archie Gemmill was a good exchange. Or why he swapped Leighton James for an over the hill Don Masson.

My late mother watched him as a player in the great Preston team post war. With Tommy Finney and  Billy Shankly.

He dismantled a great Derby team and criticised the ground, pitch and fans. So much she wrote to him at BBG - and got an apology  back

Would  never be Popular with Ram fans  my age - didn’t fool the great Derby footballing public, who know a bit.

However sad loss to his family  - a football bloke at the end of the day

RIP 

2 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

He systematically destroyed a decent team at Derby and replace it with mostly dross.

It was the start of our demise. 

It seemed that way in the mind of this particular 10-year-old in 1977. But a 10-year-old lacks perspective, lacks any understanding of things going stale, of players peaking and ageing. To a young Derby supporter in the mid 70s, Todd, Roy Mac, Rioch, Hector, Charlie et al would always be Derby players, and it would only be a matter of time before we were up there again.

But that team was way past its best and had needed significant new blood for quite a while by the time Docherty arrived. Not an easy job - Previous managers' attempts and arresting decline had included Derek Hales and Gerry Ryan, for example.There had been a couple of seasons of decline leading up to Docherty's arrival.

Ok, so he didn't do an especially good job of revitalising players whose careers were already heading south but I think it's time for something of a reappraisal of his time at DCFC. He couldn't stop the decline of our favourite players but he certainly didn't cause or start it.

2 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I don’t agree with the “don’t speak Ill of the dead” saying. If you didn’t like someone when they were alive, why should you suddenly think well of them when they die. I was around when he was Derby’s manager. Can never forgive him. 

You don't have to change and think well of them. There's simply no need to say it out loud. Show respect for the dead and for those that are grieving.

Archived