RIP Tommy Docherty

rynny

The Doc was a horrible manager for us. IMHO, the worst in my life time with the way he stripped out the guts of a really good team and brought in second rate replacements,

However, unlike @richinspain I absolutely can forgive the guy because he was just doing his best. He just wasn't very good at what he did and got lucky at Man Utd.

And as a person I actually liked him, he was very self deprecating and liked to crack a joke.

So yeh, RIP Doc.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The Doc was a horrible manager for us. IMHO, the worst in my life time with the way he stripped out the guts of a really good team and brought in second rate replacements,

However, unlike @richinspain I absolutely can forgive the guy because he was just doing his best. He just wasn't very good at what he did and got lucky at Man Utd.

And as a person I actually liked him, he was very self deprecating and liked to crack a joke.

So yeh, RIP Doc.

On 31/12/2020 at 18:03, richinspain said:

Hated his spell as our manager, though his photo did help improve my aim at darts incredibly. Even so , very sad news. RIP.

21 hours ago, richinspain said:

Because it's only a game? image.png.c83f17e45b5cf7497d3fa841cb98cf6e.png

Sorry @Bob The Badger, don't know why you think I hold anything against him personally. He was an absolutely terrible manager for us, but even though I used his photo for dates practice I would never wish I'll on him or anyone else. As I said to one poster slagging him off, it's only a game. It can make us happy or make us sad. It can brighter or darken the whole weekend, but it's only a game. I actually found him very amusing, he was just ? for us.

48 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Sorry @Bob The Badger, don't know why you think I hold anything against him personally. He was an absolutely terrible manager for us, but even though I used his photo for dates practice I would never wish I'll on him or anyone else. As I said to one poster slagging him off, it's only a game. It can make us happy or make us sad. It can brighter or darken the whole weekend, but it's only a game. I actually found him very amusing, he was just ? for us.

Sorry mate, I was scanning and i thought it was you who had said it.

55 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Should read darts practice. I would never, ever, use Tommy Docherty for dates practice!

On 31/12/2020 at 19:40, Turk Thrust said:

I don’t agree with the “don’t speak Ill of the dead” saying. If you didn’t like someone when they were alive, why should you suddenly think well of them when they die. I was around when he was Derby’s manager. Can never forgive him. 

Swapping ‘Tower Bridge’ for Gemmil, questionable motives. Didn’t like him.

On 01/01/2021 at 10:09, IslandExile said:

Was he sacked in order to facilitate the return -or- was the attempt to lure them back thought of after the sacking?

I thought the common feeling was the poor start to the season led to Mackay seeking assurances and backing which didn't materialize.

Anyhow, I remember the night when BC almost returned very clearly. My Dad, a Forest fan, and myself glued to the radio for news, longing for different outcomes. The next day was heart breaking for me.

Apologies for not replying earlier been of the site, I think it was a bit of both, George Hardy wanted Clough & Taylor back at Derby and like you IslandExile I was a 15 year old school pupil living in Nottingham and I was bragging about how they were losing Clough & Taylor and all the Forest fans were gutted because they thought they were going back to Derby but of course it never happened and yours truly living in Nottingham took a lot of stick for all the success Forest had. 

On 31/12/2020 at 19:44, AndyinLiverpool said:

You don't have to change and think well of them. There's simply no need to say it out loud. Show respect for the dead and for those that are grieving.

Note to self.  
1) Must remember to be a hypocrite and show respect to the dead even though I had no respect for them when alive

2) Must remember to not say anything bad about Denis Nilson or the Yorkshire Ripper so as not to upset their grieving relatives

9 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Note to self.  
1) Must remember to be a hypocrite and show respect to the dead even though I had no respect for them when alive

2) Must remember to not say anything bad about Denis Nilson or the Yorkshire Ripper so as not to upset their grieving relatives

Very silly.

1) It's a different use of 'respect'

2) I'm not sure how you manage to lump in the friends and family of a former football manager and those mourning serial killers but you are to be congratulated.

51 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

Note to self.  

Dennis Nilson (2 n's) actually was a policeman before he resigned from the force and then embarked on a successful career with the civil service rising to the position of Executive Office within the Job Centre he was employed at.

On 01/01/2021 at 20:24, Normanton Lad said:

Arthur Mullard might look and sound like a moron but he really did interview Sir AJ Ayer, one of the most famous philosophers of the 20th century. AJ Ayer was not impressed and this was Mullard's response :

image.thumb.png.e8527fa4419e4c68344cac633e2046e7.png

Nice one !!  I remember Yus my Dear .  RIP Arthur .

On 01/01/2021 at 17:11, Bob The Badger said:

I just watched The Ripper on Netflix and he looked suspiciously like Sutcliffe and the midfield found him as equally hard to find.

I just watched that too . I thought it was that midfield maestro Jacob Butterfield 

9 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Dennis Nilson (2 n's) actually was a policeman before he resigned from the force and then embarked on a successful career with the civil service rising to the position of Executive Office within the Job Centre he was employed at.

I know. I worked with him briefly in the Denmark Street JC when I was in the old Manpower Services Commission. He was also in the army before that

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Very silly.

1) It's a different use of 'respect'

2) I'm not sure how you manage to lump in the friends and family of a former football manager and those mourning serial killers but you are to be congratulated.

Oh Andy. Although I would really love to continue with our rather pointless conversation, I just can’t be arsed. So, bye bye

28 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

The entire cast of Love Thy Neighbour, the most racist show in TV history not named It Ain't Half Hot Mum are all still alive.

My partners father who is from St Kitts and his mates all used to get together to watch LTN and thought it was the funniest thing on tv ??‍♂️

On 01/01/2021 at 05:13, Seaside Ram said:

Bernard Cribbins is still at the crease though. 92 not out !

Bernard Cribbons served in Palestine with the Parachute Regiment after WW2, as did my grandfather, it was Cribbons birthday last week, he was on "The Chase not long ago, I'm sure you'll all sleep better knowing this ????

Archived