RIP Tommy Docherty

rynny

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roller coaster life.

played alongside shankly and finney

well respected for building great swashbuckling young teams at Chelsea and man utd

but crashed and burned everywhere else including Derby

a fiery character who mellowed and had many anecdotes and stories to tell.  

Was never suited to damaging Derby County and ultimately he hastened our decline.

Not one of George Hardy’s finest moves.

RIP

7 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Hmm. I hope this thread remains civil.

Yes, I noticed the tributes on social media were largely from people who know he was Derby manager, but are of a younger generation who don't really know much about him...

Sad news. 

Although he pretty much destroyed my childhood dreams as a Derby fan and I never forgave what he did to our club with the bizarre churn of class players to bang ordinary ones, I’ll say R.I.P to a fellow human being and football man.

RIP Doc.

Didn't do even an average job at the BBG, considering the team he inherited. Also in charge of the team that beat us 2-0 in the FA Cup Semi in 1976, a season when I thought we’d win it.

Did tell one of my favourite jokes at a sportsman’s dinner though. 

The Doc was driving to a Forest v Utd game as a pundit for the BBC, and got horribly lost in the streets of Nottingham. On stopping to ask directions, he was told to “ Follow the crowds”.  I drove for another 10 minutes before I Ducking ended up in Tesco’s car park.

Archived