RIP Tommy Docherty

rynny

3 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

I don’t agree with the “don’t speak Ill of the dead” saying. If you didn’t like someone when they were alive, why should you suddenly think well of them when they die. I was around when he was Derby’s manager. Can never forgive him. 

Yer quite simply it's because the dead can't then defend themselves against comments being made against them.

It's nothing to do with liking someone or not it's just the basic practicalities of the situation.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Turk Thrust said:

I don’t agree with the “don’t speak Ill of the dead” saying. If you didn’t like someone when they were alive, why should you suddenly think well of them when they die. I was around when he was Derby’s manager. Can never forgive him. 

If you think ill of someone when their dead ,that's your progattive and right. It doesn't necessarily necitate that you should pubilically air your personal opinions.He wasn't just a Derby Manager. He was a human being, father, husband family man and a football man through and through. It didn't work out at Derby but he inherited a team that was struggling. I don't recall he got the job because we exactly doing well at the time. The rott had already set in ,he made mistakes ,some poor decisions and signings but  we hardly splashed the cash,we got left behind in the transfer market allowed the existing squad to all age without thoughtful recruitment in 1971- 1973 putting us in a mess. How much was that the Docs fault. A likeable guy who failed with us. 

Perhaps out of respect ,humanity, manners some people should keep their own thoughts ( wrong or right) to themselves and have some SELF RESPECT  AND DIGNITY.SOMETHING YOU APPEAR TO BE LACKING.

4 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It seemed that way in the mind of this particular 10-year-old in 1977. But a 10-year-old lacks perspective, lacks any understanding of things going stale, of players peaking and ageing. To a young Derby supporter in the mid 70s, Todd, Roy Mac, Rioch, Hector, Charlie et al would always be Derby players, and it would only be a matter of time before we were up there again.

But that team was way past its best and had needed significant new blood for quite a while by the time Docherty arrived. Not an easy job - Previous managers' attempts and arresting decline had included Derek Hales and Gerry Ryan, for example.There had been a couple of seasons of decline leading up to Docherty's arrival.

Ok, so he didn't do an especially good job of revitalising players whose careers were already heading south but I think it's time for something of a reappraisal of his time at DCFC. He couldn't stop the decline of our favourite players but he certainly didn't cause or start it.

The team did need refreshing. It did not need ripping apart.

Gemmill, Todd, George, James, Rioch continued to play at a high level at other clubs. Hector still had enough in him to contribute when he returned.

The Doc tried to recreate his United success with unknown youngsters and failed massively.

The downward trend did start before Docherty arrived. Mackay shouldn't have been sacked - I am convinced the poor start to that season was a hangover to the semi-final defeat (it had that effect in those days to other clubs, not just us; the FA Cup mattered more back then). But, even so, Mackay should have started the rebuild and, at the very least, got another striker to replace Lee. 

Appointing Murphy was ludicrous.

So I was taken in by Docherty's appointment, his humour, his United side, but then he just took things apart. He didn't rebuild, he just wealded a wrecking ball.

I am always sorry whenever anyone dies. I wish I could look back at his jokes and the exciting United team but I just remember what he did to our club. I cannot forget that.

Best wishes to his family. RIP.

6 hours ago, IslandExile said:

The team did need refreshing. It did not need ripping apart.

Gemmill, Todd, George, James, Rioch continued to play at a high level at other clubs. Hector still had enough in him to contribute when he returned.

The Doc tried to recreate his United success with unknown youngsters and failed massively.

The downward trend did start before Docherty arrived. Mackay shouldn't have been sacked - I am convinced the poor start to that season was a hangover to the semi-final defeat (it had that effect in those days to other clubs, not just us; the FA Cup mattered more back then). But, even so, Mackay should have started the rebuild and, at the very least, got another striker to replace Lee. 

Appointing Murphy was ludicrous.

So I was taken in by Docherty's appointment, his humour, his United side, but then he just took things apart. He didn't rebuild, he just wealded a wrecking ball.

I am always sorry whenever anyone dies. I wish I could look back at his jokes and the exciting United team but I just remember what he did to our club. I cannot forget that.

Best wishes to his family. RIP.

Mackay was sacked because George Hardy wanted Clough and Taylor back at Derby but they turned the club down to stay at Forest, so that left us with Colin Murphy for a bit with some advisory help from Bill Shankly,  then Docherty was eventually appointed the manager. 

2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

It's sad he has died, but I have got  to say he was the worst manager we ever had

Sympathies to his family but I could never forgive him for the way he destroyed our club, one of the worst Derby managers. 

4 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

Mackay was sacked because George Hardy wanted Clough and Taylor back at Derby but they turned the club down to stay at Forest, so that left us with Colin Murphy for a bit with some advisory help from Bill Shankly,  then Docherty was eventually appointed the manager. 

Was he sacked in order to facilitate the return -or- was the attempt to lure them back thought of after the sacking?

I thought the common feeling was the poor start to the season led to Mackay seeking assurances and backing which didn't materialize.

Anyhow, I remember the night when BC almost returned very clearly. My Dad, a Forest fan, and myself glued to the radio for news, longing for different outcomes. The next day was heart breaking for me.

It was rapidly going wrong by November 1976-77.

Frannie Lee had retired. Roger davies was sold. With george injured we were desperately short of strikers. We eventually moved Rioch up front and Todd into midfield. People remember the 8-2 win over spurs in October 76 but that was actually our first win of the season. Two weeks previously Todd submitted a transfer request and we were stuffed 5-1 at birmingham city of all places with kenny burns scoring four. That was the real warning sign. The squad was so thin we couldn’t cope with injuries. Dave was letting it slip away promoting Tony macken into the starting 11.

During the 10 months of Colin murphy we missed an opportunity. We needed reinforcements and Stoke city were selling all of their best players in those months. We could have had greenhoff, Hudson, pejic and shilton for £700k but we didn’t buy any and instead wasted £330k on derek hales. 

george hardy made a mess of the negotiations to bring back Clough and Taylor. It was within his grasp but he blew it by undercooking the salary offers and then showing off a Ferrari he had bought for his son’s 18th. That was our chance gone.

In truth the great side was a spent force by the time Docherty arrived to do a wrecking job. 

40 minutes ago, Old Sawley Popside said:

"The Doc" RIP. Condolences to his family and friends.

Definitely not one of the greatest managers we've ever had. Personally I'd rather leave it at that.

3 minutes ago, ossieram said:

The years haven't changed my feelings for him after his spell at Derby, but he's gone now and I'm pretty sure there are loved ones left behind that are suffering. To them I offer my condolences. 

See, these are the kind of posts I agree with. Let’s be honest, none of us hold him in the highest esteem for his contribution to our club but at the end of the day, it was getting on for 50 bloomin’ years ago and he was a football man through and through so I just think some of the comments I’ve read on his passing are a bit OTT. 

But hey, that’s just me. ?‍♂️

Replaced Archie with Steve Carter and John Middleton in a swap deal. No disrespect, but Archie was an international star and went on to win even more over at the shed.

Roy Greenwood, Steve Wicks, Don Masson, did he sign Billy Caskey? (the centre forward who couldn't jump)

RIP the Doc, absolute carp at managing while with us though. Thought it was great when first heard he had become our manager

22 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

See, these are the kind of posts I agree with. Let’s be honest, none of us hold him in the highest esteem for his contribution to our club but at the end of the day, it was getting on for 50 bloomin’ years ago and he was a football man through and through so I just think some of the comments I’ve read on his passing are a bit OTT. 

But hey, that’s just me. ?‍♂️

True, you'd think it was Fred West with some of the comments.

Archived