New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first choice for the job would be Phillip Cocu. He's tactically adept at working with what he has within a framework set by the club and that could be critical for someone coming in to work under Mel.  He's a calming influence, and has integrity.  That will be important in re-establishing the footballing credentials of this club and moving us away from the circus sideshow reputation which has been the unwanted hangover from the Lampard era.

If we can't bring him in I'd go for Old Trampie.  If we could get Carson back as Trampie's number 2 it could be a 'shabby chic' management dream team.  Trampie's appointment would certainly address any concerns over player discipline.  I mean Trampie is a full on bona fide tramp.  And there's no-one in their right mind who isn't a little bit scared of a proper old school mad tramp.

He's also got some real charisma about him.  Get him talking about his time in the south of France as a medical student; his aristo model girlfriend; the sun; the champagne?  He has a real twinkle in his eyes.

The only downside is that I'm worried about the absolute carnage he would cause with unfettered access to alcohol while he led a team night out at The Joiners.  If he'd been in charge last season at least three players would have lost limbs and he may well have set fire to Mason Bennett as pre-emptive retaliation.  Before they even left the pub.

So failing that my third choice would be Phillip Cocu.

Talking about Old Trampie.  I was down the bottom of the garden earlier and he was adamant that there has been a right royal falling out between Mel and Cocu.  Apparently Mel was visiting Moor Farm for a weekly catch up with Phillip.  It had been raining outside and Mel was soaked as he got to the Dutchman's office.  Keen to curry favour, Cocu sent out for a full (and dry) training kit for Mel to change into.  When it arrived Phil excused himself to the canteen and waited for Mel to change clothes and join him.  From what Trampie heard, the meeting went very well as the two men chewed the cud over a flat white with soya milk.  Although disappointed with recent results Mel was pleased with an upturn in terms of  performance.

However things took a turn for the worse at the end of the meeting.  Mel went back to Cocu's office to collect his sodden clothes.  Despite Mel's suit jacket, trousers, shirt, tie, cufflinks and socks all being present, one item of clothing was missing.

Apparently Mel went ballistic, telling Cocu that if things weren't sorted, he would ensure the return of the Mac.

I've advocated Paul Cook. Someone with experience of the Championship is a necessity in such a challenging league.  Not only does it appear that they will have to manage a club but also managing up (a demanding owner).

I do think Philippe Cocu deserves some sympathy, he's had a lot to contend with, off-field (Keogh etc, EFL charges), injuries & job description (blood youngsters, cut costs) &  the media circus surrounding Rooney. On-field, the lack of impact, identity & things like  organising a defence undermine his job.

newsnow has just published an article from the Mail which could be a load of old gossip, apparently 'hands-on' Mel has been making Cocu's position practically untenable in order to make him leave without having to pay him & his assistants up millions in compensation.

An interesting aside is that there is the view Liam Rosenior, part of the first team coaching staff, has his UEFA badges and is more qualified than Rooney, the purported successor. It seems he may not be out of the equation either.

Rooney looks the likely candidate in terms of headlines, but Rosenior as a caretaker/interim may be one possible short-term option if a change is made. Football is bizarre sometimes, Derby & Forest may end up with two managers/coaches who were at Brighton together only a couple of seasons ago.

The story may be conjecture but certainly suggests in-fighting & disharmony at the club & people with different agendas.

18 hours ago, Asanovic70 said:

...apparently 'hands-on' Mel has been making Cocu's position practically untenable in order to make him leave without having to pay him & his assistants up millions in compensation.

Then he'd be able to take us to an employment tribunal on the grounds of unfair dismissal saying it was 'constructive dismissal'.

48 minutes ago, Coolascustard said:

It’s a bit quiet in this thread tonight

And so it should be because I think the majority of his critics are open minded enough to listen when a performance speaks like that. 

That was the best we've played for the longest period in quite a long time. 

If we only get better from here you should be able to say bye to this thread. 

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Some of the posters who you allude to have been magnanimous enough to recognise it was a positive performance tonight.

But you choose to ignore that and be an arse about it. As you wish. 

Yes, we should all be allowed to celebrate the improved performance.

Just like we're all allowed to share the disappointment of an undeserved defeat, like those to Watford and Huddersfield.

After all, the Cocu outers are truly restrained in such circumstances aren't they? Creating several threads filled with vitriol.

Anyway, we finally get a few of our forwards fit enough to play almost a full game and what happens.... the performance is better and we create more chances. Derr who'd've thought it?

So it was a reason, not an excuse, after all.

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Just like we're all allowed to share the disappointment of an undeserved defeat, like those to Watford and Huddersfield.

After all, the Cocu outers are truly restrained in such circumstances aren't they? Creating several threads filled with vitriol.

Anyway, we finally get a few of our forwards fit enough to play almost a full game and what happens.... the performance is better and we create more chances. Derr who'd've thought it?

As a ‘doubter’ rather than an ‘outer’ a couple of points to respond. I do not want to take anything away from our performance just some perspective 

we were much better last night Lawrence made a massive difference along with waghorn so maybe with the returning players we will consolidate and build on this

We got one point against a side in the bottom five arguably we should have taken all three points 

One result does not mean all is fine we played well even very well in one game 

poor performances go back a long way (Charlton away twelve months ago anyone)

This is not vitriol but an opinion  on recent performances and whether we have played to our full potential (or not)

one swallow doesn’t make a summer

have I changed my mind - not yet 

Hope this is ‘restrained’ enough to be acceptable 

3 hours ago, IslandExile said:

After one decent performance people who don’t rate Cocu should be ridiculed but after 5 poor performances nobody should be allowed to say anything against the guy? 

I don’t particularly rate Cocu although I accept he’s been unlucky and he seems like a nice man. But as every Derby fan I’d like us to go on a massive winning streak which would say F U to the likes of me. Not sure after one performance were we drew Cocu inners should be patting themselves on the back. 

Let’s take it as a positive step forward and see what the next match brings. 

8 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Some of the posters who you allude to have been magnanimous enough to recognise it was a positive performance tonight.

But you choose to ignore that and be an arse about it. As you wish. 

Some of them have been magnanimous...yourself included. That deserves respect along with future opinions, positive or negative.

Think it was more aimed at the very vocal element who have been hysterical post match but are noticeable by their silence since last night. Think it further detracts from their credibility when the only time we hear from them is when we play badly.

Archived