Subbing a sub

RamNut

When did that last happen?

it was cruel but not necessarily unwarranted.

whittaker has a languid casual style and needs to show a bit more effort and determination.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a brave and warranted decision by Rooney, fair play to him.

It also put a really important marker down to the young players: you need to be at the level or you're not getting game time. Simple.

If Whittaker has got a bit about him, it'll be the making of him.

It doesn’t happen very often at all, unless there’s an injury, and there’s good reason for that. It’s basically the manager admitting he made a mistake bringing the player on in the first place. Fair play to Rooney for rectifying his error, but he really should have put Waghorn on in the first place.

Whittaker looks to lack a spark to me. Casual is probably the right word to use, I’m sure it’s not like he doesn’t care, but he seems a bit unfocused. Most young players are busting at the gut when they get their chance, but Morgan Whittaker doesn’t seem to want it enough almost, harsh as that sounds.

Even though the right decision, not sure that it wipes out the implications of a very poor decision by Rooney in the first place.

Did he learn nothing from Waghorns recent effectiveness as a sub or take into account Waghorns ability with free kicks/ corners, not to mention his experience.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

It doesn’t happen very often at all, unless there’s an injury, and there’s good reason for that. It’s basically the manager admitting he made a mistake bringing the player on in the first place. Fair play to Rooney for rectifying his error, but he really should have put Waghorn on in the first place.

Whittaker looks to lack a spark to me. Casual is probably the right word to use, I’m sure it’s not like he doesn’t care, but he seems a bit unfocused. Most young players are busting at the gut when they get their chance, but Morgan Whittaker doesn’t seem to want it enough almost, harsh as that sounds.

It's not necessarily a mistake, though I think it was in this case. The manager sends a player on to do a particular job. If that player then goes on to not do that job, it's not necessarily the fault of anyone. Whittaker is supposedly capable of playing in that position. He just did so poorly yesterday. Presumably, Rooney didn't say to Whittaker, ''Go on and be ineffective. Give the ball away in dangerous areas and punt your crosses into the stands.' That would have been a mistake. So would playing him at centre-half.

Of all the youngsters promoted to the first team he is the one who imho seems the least ready. When Rooney brought him on my first thought was Stoke are a big side his lack of strength will be a problem. Fair play to Rooney to have the guts to do it but it is a bit of a shame it was one of the youngsters as it could affect him if mentally he is not strong either

It was a brave decision but the right one.

I knew Rooney would bring Whittaker on as soon as Lawrence started to struggle. Most of our joy vs Stoke 1st half was getting in behind their full backs. So it made sense to have a left footer left & a right footer right. Now I know Waghorn is a left footer but he plays on the right and cuts in, not sure running in behind a fullback on the left is his game. Hence why when he did come on he was on the right and Jozwiak moved to the left which didnt make sense as Jozwiak was tearing their left back a new one!

Ive said it for a while now but Whittaker really needs a loan out and get regular game time. Once the number of subs drop back to 7 & with Ibe back I cant see him being anywhere near the bench. No Holmes on the bench yesterday, come Jan we could have another forward and/or Marriott plus Duncan could be closer to the first team set up. Plus if Rooney doesnt get the job he would be on the bench or taking someones place in the 11 who then makes the bench

59 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Even though the right decision, not sure that it wipes out the implications of a very poor decision by Rooney in the first place.

Did he learn nothing from Waghorns recent effectiveness as a sub or take into account Waghorns ability with free kicks/ corners, not to mention his experience.

Whilst you have explained your thinking regards Waghorn, other than with an element of hindsight you can’t say it was a very poor decision by Rooney to bring Whittaker on. He may have been performing very well in training, and merited his opportunity. Sometimes things just don’t work on the day, but Rooney might have been keeping Waghorn back for the last 30 if CKR had to give way. Neither Waghorn, Sibley or Ibe did much when they came on to nail down a place against Swansea.

Just now, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

George Weah's cousin who wasn't.

Funny as, souness wasn't it? must have felt like a right muppet 

It was a bit weird reading the match day thread,  post after post saying Rooney needs to be brave and take Whittaker off,  he did, then it was ffs what's he taken Whittaker off for, hes destroyed Whittakers career.

4 minutes ago, europia said:

No big deal. If a player isn't pulling his weight, there are subs on the bench. Not a brave decision by Rooney, just an admission that he got it wrong deciding bring Whittaker on in the first place. 

Seem to remember Jim Smith subbing Harkes after about 20 mins at Fratton Park in 1995 and Harkes never playing for us again. 

Archived