Subbing a sub

RamNut

I think it’s a bit of an anomaly. We’re allowed 5 subs at the minute, which has never been the norm, and probably won’t in the future. But it makes the decision to sub a sub a lot easier, you’re not really wasting a sub, as you’ve got 2 extra to play with anyway. I could see it happening a few more times before the season’s over. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I think it’s a bit of an anomaly. We’re allowed 5 subs at the minute, which has never been the norm, and probably won’t in the future. But it makes the decision to sub a sub a lot easier, you’re not really wasting a sub, as you’ve got 2 extra to play with anyway. I could see it happening a few more times before the season’s over. 

Deffo. If Lawrence ever came on as a sub and didn't fancy it.....

2 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

It was a bit weird reading the match day thread,  post after post saying Rooney needs to be brave and take Whittaker off,  he did, then it was ffs what's he taken Whittaker off for, hes destroyed Whittakers career.

The weird bit was sending him on in the first place but that gets lost in the fanboy fugue, it seems. Gotta say it's a funny old world when we have to congratulate someone for clearing up their own mess, but then different rules seem to apply these days.

15 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

It doesn’t happen very often at all, unless there’s an injury, and there’s good reason for that. It’s basically the manager admitting he made a mistake bringing the player on in the first place. Fair play to Rooney for rectifying his error, but he really should have put Waghorn on in the first place.

Whittaker looks to lack a spark to me. Casual is probably the right word to use, I’m sure it’s not like he doesn’t care, but he seems a bit unfocused. Most young players are busting at the gut when they get their chance, but Morgan Whittaker doesn’t seem to want it enough almost, harsh as that sounds.

with 5 subs I think we will see more of it than noraml

I think Whittaker suffers from his gangly physique which reminds me of the young lad you give ten minutes to in amateur football. 

You're just waiting for him to do something good so you can praise him and hopefully make him a stalwart of men's football in the future. 

Sadly he has not developed physically to cope with the rigours of championship football. 

Yet. 

16 hours ago, RamNut said:

When did that last happen?

it was cruel but not necessarily unwarranted.

whittaker has a languid casual style and needs to show a bit more effort and determination.

Not sure, but the first Derby player to be subbed after coming on as a sub was the late Jeff Bourne v Real Madrid away in the European Cup, 1975/76-  injured IIRC.

On 13/12/2020 at 17:44, RamNut said:

When did that last happen?

I seem to recall seeing Robin van der Laan coming on as Sub then getting subbed off for Marco Gabbiadini when Jim Smith was manager early in the season at Villa park 1996 .Think it was our first defeat of the season Tommy Johnson scored for Villa .

It was a red hot summer day too caught the train and got off at Witton and couldnt get in any pubs near the ground(In case your interested) Lol ??

21 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

The weird bit was sending him on in the first place but that gets lost in the fanboy fugue, it seems. Gotta say it's a funny old world when we have to congratulate someone for clearing up their own mess, but then different rules seem to apply these days.

Honestly the whole thing was poor management. It should have been clear that Whittaker wasn't going to have a great time against a physical compact defence especially not on the left. Given the state of the game and how firmly in control we were it was an opportunity to be bold in the substitution with Waghorn being the obvious substitution in order to inject some physicality in the front line in order to disrupt stoke in the box and bring him on as a free kick threat. From there you can either go like for like, shift into a 442 (could have also looked to Stretton for this) or shift into a 343 with the front three told to stay up. I think we held off on that because I think the game plan was CKR off for Waghorn at some point but honestly that's playing scared to an extent, the game was there to be won but we needed a bit extra in forward areas.

But if you are backing Whittaker to go on then actually back him, give him opportunity to affect the game and don't drag him off after a half hour which has a half time in between. I honestly don't it would have happened if it was a senior player and it's trivial to point ineffectual performances from nearly every player in the squad. It's so rare to see a sub getting subbed and even rarer outside of fitness reasons, admittedly we are likely to see it more frequently with 5 subs but it still carrys a very strong message. Which is the wrong message for this squad right now and especially doing with someone young and trying to break into the first team. Of course it depends on how it has been handled after the fact but it's something that I don't think will be easily forgotten and it's the type of nonsense that can seriously ruin players. 

Archived