Robert Maxwell

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

He was extremely wealthy however towards the end of his life it was discovered that to prop up his business empire he had secretly been redirecting his employee pension funds into those businesses and left his sons to face fraud investigations after his death. 

Typical of the man after taking over at Derby he crowed we were going to rub Cloughies nose in it then used his Daily Mirror paper to trumpet any new signings we were going to make. Maxwell's son was at Oxford United and he basically told him he had to sell Dean Saunders to us which he duly obliged causing the then manager Mark Lawrenson to resign in protest 

Towards the end of his tenure at Derby he basically got bored with his pet and took little interest in the club, the chants when I was there were he's fat he's round he's never at the ground....he then decided not to spend another bean on transfer fees ultimately condemning Arthur Cox's team to relegation from Division 1. 

Have to say a thoroughly unlikeable character who only existed to boost his own ego. 

Very good summary ?

On 03/12/2020 at 23:51, Tyler Durden said:

Towards the end of his tenure at Derby he basically got bored with his pet and took little interest in the club, the chants when I was there were he's fat he's round he's never at the ground....he then decided not to spend another bean on transfer fees ultimately condemning Arthur Cox's team to relegation from Division 1. 

The worst thing was that by 1989, we had a very good side (finished 5th in 88/89) & were well placed to challenge for pots. On the sidelines was Lionel Pickering who was keen to invest in the club but remember some strange feud breaking out between him & Maxwell which meant he wasnt able to buy the club until we'd been relegated. 

Leeds won the title in 91/92 with a team that compared to other title winners, was pretty weak. In fact they nearly got relegated the following season. Liverpool were in decline, there was only really Arsenal in ascendancy with Man Utd starting to emerge as contenders. With Pickering's money earlier, we could have won another title & been in the group of English clubs going back into Europe in 1991, with all the opportunity & profile boost (on terrestrial telly) that brought. Awful timing, typical Derby.

5 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

The worst thing was that by 1989, we had a very good side (finished 5th in 88/89) & were well placed to challenge for pots. On the sidelines was Lionel Pickering who was keen to invest in the club but remember some strange feud breaking out between him & Maxwell which meant he wasnt able to buy the club until we'd been relegated. 

Leeds won the title in 91/92 with a team that compared to other title winners, was pretty weak. In fact they nearly got relegated the following season. Liverpool were in decline, there was only really Arsenal in ascendancy with Man Utd starting to emerge as contenders. With Pickering's money earlier, we could have won another title & been in the group of English clubs going back into Europe in 1991, with all the opportunity & profile boost (on terrestrial telly) that brought. Awful timing, typical Derby.

Thats when i first started supporting Derby. Too young to understand managerial and owner stuff.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Also did they actually ever find his body cant remember that

From Wikipedia:

On 5 November, Maxwell was last in contact with the crew of Lady Ghislaine at 4:25 a.m. local time, but was found to be missing later in the morning.[48] It has been speculated that Maxwell was urinating into the ocean nude at the time, as he often did.[9] He was presumed to have fallen overboard from the vessel, which was cruising off the Canary Islands.[48][50] Maxwell's naked body was recovered from the Atlantic Ocean and taken to Las Palmas.[46] Besides a "graze to his left shoulder", there were no noticeable wounds on Maxwell's body.[9] The official ruling at an inquest held in December 1991 was death by a heart attack combined with accidental drowning,[51] although three pathologists had been unable to agree on the cause of his death at the inquest;[46] he had been found to have been suffering from serious heart and lung conditions.[52] Murder was ruled out by the judge and, in effect, so was suicide.[51] His son discounted the possibility of suicide, saying, "I think it is highly unlikely that he would have taken his own life, it wasn't in his makeup or his mentality."[9]

Maxwell was afforded a lavish funeral in Israel, attended by Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir, Israeli President Chaim Herzog, "no less than six serving and former heads of Israeli intelligence"[53] and many dignitaries and politicians (both government and opposition), and was buried on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem.[54][55][56] Herzog delivered the eulogy and the Kaddish was recited by his fellow Holocaust survivor, friend and longtime attorney Samuel Pisar.[57]

2 hours ago, Robert Earnshaws Workrate said:

I remember a few thousand of us went onto the pitch to protest with banners after an ITV televised game against Spurs. I think it was Spurs, I was only about 9 or 10 at the time.

I was one of those and it was against Spurs.  The pitch invasion was rumoured and the Spurs fans didn't think we'd go on the pitch. 

Cloughie was a pundit in the studio and even though we we're on the pitch he was complimentary about our support when I watched it back. Ironically Cloughie wacked a few red dogs when they came on their own pitch !

Regards

Gangway D from the terrace.

On 03/12/2020 at 22:06, RamNut said:

Captain Bob

he was a great man. Much maligned. Generous. Humorous. A man of great vision.
Derby County through and through.

Very sad that he was unable to control his weight and fell off his yacht.

Sarcasm or rose coloured glasses?

41 minutes ago, GangwayD said:

I was one of those and it was against Spurs.  The pitch invasion was rumoured and the Spurs fans didn't think we'd go on the pitch. 

Cloughie was a pundit in the studio and even though we we're on the pitch he was complimentary about our support when I watched it back. Ironically Cloughie wacked a few red dogs when they came on their own pitch !

Regards

Gangway D from the terrace.

I remember Clough in the studio in the corner of The Columbo and Ossie End.

"We've got Wright,we've got Saunders,we've got you,we've got me."

"Derby County have been around long before Maxwell and they'll be around a long time after he's gone. "

Brilliant from Sir Brian,but I think he'd had a few to many of the complimentary booze on offer.

Archived