What is Tom Lawrence's Best Position?

Chris_Martin

What is Tom Lawrence's best position?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Figures for the Coventry game.

Percentage of successful passes going backwards:

1. Marshall - 0%
  2. Davies - 0%
  3. Wisdom - 26.4%
  4. Jozwiak - 28.6%
  5. Buchanan - 30.8%
  6. Clarke - 39.4%
  7. Bielik - 39.4%
  8. Bird - 43.1%
  9. Byrne - 43.4%
  10. Holmes - 51.4%
  11. Lawrence - 51.7%
  12. Knight - 52.6%
  13. Kazim - 60.0%
  14. Stretton - 100%

His figures don't stand out from the other forwards (Jozwiak aside who only made 7 passes).

What a completely pointless stat.

7 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

but there only one goal each, hardly a big difference.

Not quite only one goal each. Waghorn, Shinnie and Martin have 2. Knight has 3.

Even so, Lawrence has joined our selective band of scorers since the end of June. In part that is because of injury, in part, a lack of professionalism; in part from thinking he's Maradona.

He's poo. He ducked over Cocu. I don't like him. I don't like his swagger when he's putting in the performances of a League 1 player.

I don't like the fact he makes Buchanan have to do more work than he should. 

I don't like him pussying out of tackles. 

I don't like him not wanting to head a ball. 

I just don't ducking like him. 

Whittaker would create more. Score more. Work harder. Track back more. Pass more. 

53 minutes ago, Norman said:

He's poo. He ducked over Cocu. I don't like him. I don't like his swagger when he's putting in the performances of a League 1 player.

Whittaker would create more. Score more. Work harder. Track back more. Pass more. 

Say it how you see it Norman say it how you see it 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Figures for the Coventry game.

Percentage of successful passes going backwards:

1. Marshall - 0%
  2. Davies - 0%
  3. Wisdom - 26.4%
  4. Jozwiak - 28.6%
  5. Buchanan - 30.8%
  6. Clarke - 39.4%
  7. Bielik - 39.4%
  8. Bird - 43.1%
  9. Byrne - 43.4%
  10. Holmes - 51.4%
  11. Lawrence - 51.7%
  12. Knight - 52.6%
  13. Kazim - 60.0%
  14. Stretton - 100%

His figures don't stand out from the other forwards (Jozwiak aside who only made 7 passes).

Do you have the total number of passes on that for Lawrence? I agree I might be in the camp of looking for something that isn't there but I really felt Lawrence was at blame for breaking down a lot of the momentum in our attacks against Coventry. It's a bit of a poo statistic though, isn't it? If Marshall was at any number other than 0% you'd have to ask yourselves why.

11 hours ago, jcidaho said:

Don't we always slag off our creative wingers at Derby? Teale, Russell, Ward.. Lawrence. 

Creative ????? Do me a favour ... Russell excellent at what he was good at , poor creatively , Ward patchy and injury prone , Teale , had his own song about him which explains his performance and Lawrence ,,, truly woeful .

Ince was another who ultimately wasn't as good as billed either . 

Best position for Lawrence - unfortunately - is on the transfer list. 

A 'nearly' player for us, as with other teams, though he quite likes his jaunts away with Wales.

He never looks like he enjoys the game, and I don't enjoy seeing a shirt wasted on a spurious player.

Just the wrong level of application and consistency for a team in our position, a total luxury whom we keep hoping will produce - only to see another mediocre absentee performance, week on week.

We need an energetic, disciplined worker to threaten and occupy opposing defenders for 90+ minutes, and it's an indictment on him as an experienced player that a youngster like Whittaker and Stretton would offer more in the view of numerous fans.

Cue: The Kinks; 'Tired of Waiting!'

I love it when @Ghost of Clough brings some statistical content to conversation. Unfortunately, there ain't no statistics how TL chooses the second or third best option available when having the ball (if he doesn't lose it). Being selfish is good trait for a poacher, but shooting from 30 yards over and over again is just being stupid... or trying to run through those brickhouse defenders this league is full of. On the other hand, his passing ability is that bad, that maybe it's not the worst idea try to run by himself...

Also, what annoys the poo out of me, are those completely unnecessary freekicks he gives away few times each game. Freekick from 30-40 yards out is really a danger as our team is full of vertically challenged players. Decision-making or petulance lets him down, once again.

He might be our most "creative" outlet, but the price is too much. The negatives, especially these two I mentioned, overrules the positives. 

And to OP's question: I'd play him as a number 10, but there's better options in the club for that.

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

You know 'nobody in this division dislikes playing against him' how exactly? You state it as though it's fact  - it's not, it's your opinion.

because which side shows him any respect? when was the last time he was double marked? when was the last time he caused any fullback real problems? when was the last time anybody had an interest in signing him?

he is awful

2 hours ago, Norman said:

Not hi number one fan eh Norman?

31 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

when was the last time he caused any fullback real problems?

when he gets the ball the question that comes into his head is: how do I score from here. Instead of "How do WE score". The defenders all know that, so even though he's talented he's not that hard to play against.  But very hard to play with.  

Regardless of his best position, he shouldn't be anywhere near the team on current form. He looks a player completely void of any confidence and constantly makes poor decisions. He hasn't looked a goalscoring threat at all this season & it is time for him to have a break from the team with Jozwiak and either Ibe/Holmes on the other wing.

Archived