What is Tom Lawrence's Best Position?

Chris_Martin

What is Tom Lawrence's best position?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Teale - seriously - he wasn’t very talented in my opinion

Russell - hard working and talented 

Ward - hard working and very gritty 

Lawrence - well we hoped he would be creative but he isn’t is he.

Then we replaced him with Lee Croft.  To be honest since the days of Mcminn I can't really remember us having a full on out and out wide player since bar Jozwiak.  To be honest he seems to be keen on drifting inside as well.  Even Simpson who came in as a winger started playing central. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Xlor said:

Where is knights?

Where is wisdoms?

Bielik? 

Holmes

Lawrence 

Waghorn

Too many that I dont know where they're supposed to be playing. I genuinely haven't got a clue about jason knights. He's played pretty much everywhere.

Best in a midfield 3. he's not got the creativity to play as a no.10 and I'm not sure he's suited to playing the defensive midfield role either. Its clear from the games this season that he is a lot better in the middle than playing out wide though. For me, his best position is RCM in a 4-3-3. 

3 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

To paraphrase George Best when asked about Beckham, "He can't head it, can't tackle and he's got no left foot. Apart from that he's great."

As for getting the best out of him, I'm not sure what the best is. Have we ever seen it? Because if we have then his best isn't great. I can only assume people rate him because he looks the part, with his haircut and his body language. He has that 'I'm going to skin this defender' kind of poise on the ball without ever actually skinning a defender.

To answer the question though I'd go for the number 10 role, simply because I'm fed up of the same tedious cycle of Eat-Sleep-Watch Lawrence cut inside and it come to nothing-Repeat when he plays wide left.

?? it's true.

3 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

To paraphrase George Best when asked about Beckham, "He can't head it, can't tackle and he's got no left foot. Apart from that he's great."

As for getting the best out of him, I'm not sure what the best is. Have we ever seen it? Because if we have then his best isn't great. I can only assume people rate him because he looks the part, with his haircut and his body language. He has that 'I'm going to skin this defender' kind of poise on the ball without ever actually skinning a defender.

To answer the question though I'd go for the number 10 role, simply because I'm fed up of the same tedious cycle of Eat-Sleep-Watch Lawrence cut inside and it come to nothing-Repeat when he plays wide left.

West Brom at home under Lampard?

2 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

Thing i seem to have noticed with Tom is he puts in a sparkling game when he seems to have had a lay off for awhile then thats it nothing after that . 

There is as we all know and Tom does a player in there but he has obviously some demons in his head still , it how he as a person wants to challenge that and actually become a leader on the pitch and gets signed for pots of money and moves to bigger better things . At the moment he seems to be happy collecting like most players these days there over sized pay packets and is unable to motivate himself from the mood around the club . 

Thats the thing its not just the mood in the club , there does seem to be a hate campaign building on duane holmes and for me last season he was really playing well , where has that player gone . As players its about looking at themseleves and lifting themselves on a personal level and not relying on other players and club coach's to namby pamby you to play better . Thats the type of player you need at the club but it seems these days those players are hard to find why i dont know but you have to put it at the door of to much money floating around it breeds idleness and not caring about the shirt you put on .

The bottom line is you cant keep carrying these players and its time for the one last chance chat and then if nothing is in the offing off an improved display ( LONGTERM ) then its off to the reserves we go and sell at a loss . Its the only thing that you can do .

This takeover dragging on is hugely damaging and leading any chance to us staying up to virtually nil . IF IT HAPPENS AND A BIG IF the players know most of them are gone in jan or a good chunk . That leads to basically not giving a fig about Derby right now as im afraid playing for pride and shirt is a thing now lost to just past the WW2 . 

Peoples general attitude in life in all the things we do have slowly eroded since the above including football .

Completely agree with this, but unfortunately that's just the way footballers are these days. Majority of clubs now have to have great individual/man management of players, and sports phycologists etc etc. It all helps 'unlock' a players potential. 

I think he’s been our best player for the last 18 months.

He is one of those players we’ll only really appreciate when they are gone.

I’d play him on the left because I’d want to get Knight and Sibley in the team. 

If you play him as a 10, he could be a threat but you are then having to play a midfield two and we don’t have the right balance for it.

People say he is inconsistent and frustrating but it’s the nature of the beast. People criticised 18-goal Harry Wilson and people will criticise Jozwiak and Ibe when they get a run in the team too.

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

...but so many times (I'd actually say more times than not) he's got exactly that, but either doesn't pass it, doesn't pass it quickly enough or chooses the wrong passing option, and even when he does choose the right option it's very hit and miss whether the ball will be delivered with any quality, the correct weight of pass etc

this.

15 hours ago, DCFClks said:

It's not as simple as that. Other players have to make runs to drag opposition players away to create space. So many times Lawrence has had the ball with no one making runs or making themselves available to pass to so he kept getting crowded out and losing possession or trying to shoot and getting charged down. Then it's easy for people to say "Lawrence losing the ball again", "Another failed shot by Lawrence", "Get him off". 

But you would have to agree he doesn't get his head up enough.

I think the reason we all get so frustrated with Lawrence is because we know he can do it.

"Lawrence doesn't get his head up and runs into blind alleys". Well, I hate to break the news to you all but Lawrence is good at retaining the ball.

Balls lost per 90*

1. Lawrence - 3.6
  2. Knight - 3.9
  3. Holmes - 4.4
  4. Waghorn - 4.7
  5. Jozwiak - 5.5
  6. Whittaker - 8.9

*Failed dribbles, bad touches and dispossessed. 

Okay, so we've established that Lawrence isn't lazy as his defensive is the best of all our wingers and offensive contributions are 2nd best. We've previously learned that he's our most creative winger, putting in 25% more key passes per 90 than our 2nd best. We've also just learned that he's good at retaining the ball. What about finding a man once he has it?

Successful passes per 90

1. Knight - 33.3 (82.2%)
  2. Whittaker - 30.9 (84.3%)
  3. Lawrence - 26.3 (81.6%)
  4. Holmes - 25.3 (73.9%)
  5. Jozwiak - 17.7 (72.5%)
  6. Waghorn - 11.5 (69.0%)

Well, we're quickly running out of things to criticize him for. How about a lack of crosses?

Crosses per 90

1. Whittaker - 6.8
  2. Lawrence - 3.2
  3. Holmes - 1.7
  4. Knight - 1.3
  5. Jozwiak - 0.8
  6. Waghorn - 0.6

Successful Crosses per 90

1. Lawrence - 1.16
  2. Whittaker - 0.52
  3. Holmes - 0.38
  4. Knight - 0.28
  5. Waghorn - 0.15
  6. Jozwiak - 0.12

What's left?

14 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

yeah exactly my point, he's not consistent.  We all know he's capable of it which is why we get frustrated. 

But my point is, it's not going to happen. He's never going to get there, no point in saying 'if only/when/where'. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

But my point is, it's not going to happen. He's never going to get there, no point in saying 'if only/when/where'. 

don't understand what you mean, we have seen him do it in some games, admittedly not many.

so if we've seen him do it then he therefore is capable.

9 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

so if we've seen him do it then he therefore is capable.

yes, at times. The point is for what ever reason he cannot be consistently good. Lots of lower league players look good in Cup games, but they don't have whatever it takes to be like it consistently. Just has to be accepted.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

yes, at times. The point is for what ever reason he cannot be consistently good. Lots of lower league players look good in Cup games, but they don't have whatever it takes to be like it consistently. Just has to be accepted.

so maybe just try something different and play him behind the ST in the no.10, see what happens. Should force him to be more involved if he's in that area of the pitch.

on the bench as an impact player.

tom lawrence is our most overrated player, he offers limited danger and opposition teams know to get him to give the ball away you give him a sight of goal from distance and he will spoon his shot anywhere but the goal.

nobody in this division dislikes playing against him, he is a poor player and the sooner we stop building up bang average players the better

Archived