v Millwall (A) - Match Thread

Bubbles

1 hour ago, Coconut said:

You just know we'll get one of those refs who allows Millwall to get away with all sorts of niggly poo, cynical fouls, holding, shirt pulling, barging into the back of players etc, but gives us nothing, blows up for a few kick every time one of their players goes down, books our players for their first foul of the match and just generally just play into Rowett's hands.

..and I genuinely think there is an unfair advantage now in favour of teams with fans allowed back in; it should have been every club or no club.

Combine that with a ref who's influenced by a crowd and you've got a big loss here.

We'll probably even see CKR attempt to give some physicality back to them and be sent off for violent conduct & miss the next three games, leaving us yet again without a CF.

Well, Darren England is never influenced by our crowd, but you're probably right.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an utterly dreadful team selection, we look like we’re going to try to out poohouse the poohouse...

Buchanan was one of our best players the other night, and has been quality all season, why on Earth would you drop him for Forsyth who’s had about 1 good game in the last year?! Bird was quality the other night too, and looked to be building a good partnership with Bielik, why break that up? Wisdom was the better of the two centre backs the other night as well, Clarke is very fortunate that it isn’t him who’s been dropped for Davies, seems harsh on Andre. Even the much maligned Lawrence remains our biggest goal threat from wide areas, and is harshly dropped imo, much as I dislike him. Leaves us with either Holmes or Knight out of position on the right as well, neither on whom were effective enough against Coventry. 

I’m a Lawrence fan, didnt think he was bad in the past 2 games but he’s probably overdue dropping so agree with that. 
Bird for Shinnie - I see the logic but Bird has been one of our better players for the past 2 games.

Have an issue with chopping and changing the back 4, Wisdom for Davies yes, Fozzy for Buchanan no - but while Fozzy shouldn’t have been brought back against Wycombe he was really unlucky to then be dropped for Cov. We need consistency and it appears with Rooney you can play well and still be dropped. 4+ changes every game isn’t the answer.

If this team wins today then stick with it. 2 changes max

Happy with that,especially with the opportunity to see Ibe at some point,great to see Kazim keeping the number 9 too.

can’t abide rowett  so I’d love to see a result here,even more than usual.

lawrence needs a bit of a kick up the arse,so again I’m happy with that decision.

On Buchanan,he a real talent but we looked more dangerous in the box with Forsyth in the side so I prefer to see fozzy at the moment.

I am not sure why it has to be Jozwiak or Lawrence.

Why not play both, instead of playing Knight or Holmes out of position?

Without Sibley and Lawrence, we are going to be very reliant on Jozwiak and possibly Knight to open them up.

Appreciate that we are trying to be solid and hard to beat, but feels like again we have overdone it.

But in fairness, if it ends up 0-0 or 0-1 Derby, Rooney’s claim for the job will be gathering speed.

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Normally concerned by defensive changes, but against a side like Millwall, bringing in Davies and Forsyth makes a lot of sense.

Not sure I would have dropped Bird. I really like the partnership of him and Bielik. Maybe bringing in Shinnie will take some of the defensive responsibility off Bielik and allow him to open up his passing game. We'll see.

Biggest concern is who is playing wide right out of Holmes and Knight. Neither and very good at it. Unlike everyone else, I wouldn't have dropped Lawrence and would rather have him on the flank  than those two.

Looking forward to watching CKR give Millwall a taste of their own medicine, too. 

Agree wouldn't have dropped Bird.....Shinnie + Davies does not work in my opinion. Davies needs an easy out ball into midfield which Bird would provide, Shinnie isn't as comfortable showing for the ball & moving it through the lines. I expect some hesitancy in there today for Millwall to exploit. 

Jozwiak for Lawrence makes sense for me - not just Lawrence's indifferent form but also the link up with Bielik. Holmes deserves to start after last 2 matches although I still don't believe he's a RW. Knight also needs to get a lot closer to CKR today

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Normally concerned by defensive changes, but against a side like Millwall, bringing in Davies and Forsyth makes a lot of sense.

Not sure I would have dropped Bird. I really like the partnership of him and Bielik. Maybe bringing in Shinnie will take some of the defensive responsibility off Bielik and allow him to open up his passing game. We'll see.

Biggest concern is who is playing wide right out of Holmes and Knight. Neither and very good at it. Unlike everyone else, I wouldn't have dropped Lawrence and would rather have him on the flank  than those two.

Looking forward to watching CKR give Millwall a taste of their own medicine, too. 

I think it's more a case of resting some players and using the squad as not many of the team are clear first picks at the moment based on results so far.

Buchanan is better than Forsyth for me, but it's tough to be thrust into the first team so young and produce each match.

Shinnie adds energy and perhaps Bird needs a bit of a rest too with the speed each fixture comes around.

I would also like to see 2 of Jozwiak, Lawrence and Ibe on the pitch at the same time, but Knight is our best attacking mid so far this season and Holmes has linked up well with CKR in the last 2 matches and also deserves his place. It's up to the others (including Sibley) to take their chance when it comes up.

This is the squad we were all saying is capable of promotion before the season started. Let's hope the confidence returns today.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

What an utterly dreadful team selection, we look like we’re going to try to out poohouse the poohouse...

Buchanan was one of our best players the other night, and has been quality all season, why on Earth would you drop him for Forsyth who’s had about 1 good game in the last year?! Bird was quality the other night too, and looked to be building a good partnership with Bielik, why break that up? Wisdom was the better of the two centre backs the other night as well, Clarke is very fortunate that it isn’t him who’s been dropped for Davies, seems harsh on Andre. Even the much maligned Lawrence remains our biggest goal threat from wide areas, and is harshly dropped imo, much as I dislike him. Leaves us with either Holmes or Knight out of position on the right as well, neither on whom were effective enough against Coventry. 

Actually yeah good point re: Clarke, he was worst than Wiz, but then he gets in because he’s a left footer

18 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Rooney is very horses for courses isn't he. I'm encouraged by the fact that he seems open to changing our style depending on who we're playing.

Yes, this is his "thug" side and the midweek lot are his "football" side. 

Makes sense to me, especially as we have two games every week these days.

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

To be honest I don't think the defensive changes make a whole let of sense. Davies has been poor in the air this season and with him we will drop too deep in the box, it's readily exploitable especially when they have someone like Smith. Also Buchanan is excellent in the air.

Bringing in Shinnie honestly seems pointless against a team that's not going to play through midfield and will hamper any ability in keeping the ball. 

Knight isn't really a #10 andHolmes isn't really a right winger, swapping them around doesn't help that either.

Honestly kinda feels like fifa selections at this point. 

Just to think Cocu got murdered for tinkering......

I understand the changes made but again there are just too many for my liking. Every game Rooney has had he has changed 1/3rd of the team or more which was one of the critiques we all had of Cocu.  How exactly can a side settle and play well when making so many personnel changes and in key positions such as centre back and centre midfield? Forsyth for Buchanan I'm not sure I agree with as Buchanan has quite a spring on him and has become much more physical since last season. Forsyth also does not look like the same player he was which is no surprise given the amount of injuries he has had to endure. Whilst I agree with dropping Lawrence knight or Holmes don't strike me as fantastic options in that position either. I think we need to be aiming for a draw today, keep them at bay for the first 20 minutes and play our way into the game. 

Lawrence is poo, glad he's out tbh. Against a work men like Millwall who will bully you Lawrence is the last player you need, would probably get sent off for something stupid after missing about 6 40 yarders. Knight has to play, Holmes debatable but atleast he has pace and energy which compliments Bielik well because he is cumbersome and slow but very strong. 

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Can't really drop Clarke though. He's the only centre back that we've got thas been good in the air this season and that includes Davies.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Well everyone has an opinion. 

Archived