Our strongest starting XI?

Ellafella

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RamNut said:

I’m not writing him off. But atm I would favour Bird. Yes he is a bit lightweight. he also has moments where I’m seeing Don Masson and have to call for the nurse. But let’s see if those three can give us a platform.

I am with you - has to be Bird, Knight and Sibley in midfield. Happy for Bielik to get fit and slot in alongside Clarke.

I really can’t remember Masson in any positive or negative way. He must either have been a tad bland, or my love of Gerry Daly was all consuming.

22 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

image.png.f59cc9d4253de5de18ebe21b779f4c5f.png

417D0497-4232-48D0-82F6-E2493AD3DB6A.thumb.jpeg.716fd1cca58f399b7ec5828bbf0e6a7e.jpeg

very similar.

that wide left spot is up for grabs. Ibe played there in the u23 game v Southampton that you refer to. 
whittaker is left footed and he has got something about him. A little bit of class. Ultimately he might become a mobile no9 but i’m following Sir Matt Busby when he was wondering which of the babes to promote to the first team, and then decided - sod it - I’ll play all of them. 

i honestly think they’d be ok. 

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I really can’t remember Masson in any positive or negative way. He must either have been a tad bland, or my love of Gerry Daly was all consuming.

You’re lucky. Some of us are scarred for life. I thought I could handle it but I still get the shakes.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Not sure where the idea has come from that Bielik is a world beater. Probably the same source that says Liam Rosenior was a championship expert. 

Not sure anyone has called him a 'world beater', but quite a few believe he could be a cut or more above the league average. I certainly do.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

No offence intended @RamNut, but this is one of those posts that makes me wonder if I am watching a different team to other people on here ?

I thought Bielik was arguably our best player before he got injured. A really intelligent player who is wonderful to watch with the ball at his feet. He wriggles out of situations that players of his size shouldn't be able to. Add onto that he doesn't shirk a tackle, and has a wonderful passing range when he gets going.

I genuinely think Bielik has the potential to be the player we all hoped George Thorne would be for us. 

Yep, we signed Bielik because he has a huge future. Injury has been a pain. His fee alone would have been worth it for the quality he would have provided over the life of the contract. Capable of stepping up too (Premier League). Club were thinking that the guy would at least be sold for what they paid for him too with the potential to be £20- £25m. 

I can't wait for him to be back up and running again. 

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Not sure anyone has called him a 'world beater', but quite a few believe he could be a cut or more above the league average. I certainly do.

Let’s hope so. 

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

417D0497-4232-48D0-82F6-E2493AD3DB6A.thumb.jpeg.716fd1cca58f399b7ec5828bbf0e6a7e.jpeg

very similar.

that wide left spot is up for grabs. Ibe played there in the u23 game v Southampton that you refer to. 
whittaker is left footed and he has got something about him. A little bit of class. Ultimately he might become a mobile no9 but i’m following Sir Matt Busby when he was wondering which of the babes to promote to the first team, and then decided - sod it - I’ll play all of them. 

i honestly think they’d be ok. 

That's the best one so far. I think Bielik will hopefully be in our best 11 eventually though. Either as a CB for Evans, or in midfield for Whittaker. 442 with Jozwiak playing off Kazim maybe? Or more of a 4321 with full backs providing the width and Jozwiak and Sibley both playing off Kazim. Shinnie is the other midfield option, especially vs good, possession based teams. Fingers crossed Ibe will playing soon.

We need a manager who take this squad and work out the formation that can get our best players on the pitch together. It's not the sort of brief you want a rookie manager to have. We also need someone who can bring in the right 2-3 players in Jan that won't screw us financially but will immediately improve the starting 11. A couple of quality loans might be needed. What is Osman up too?

47 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

really can’t remember Masson in any positive or negative way. He must either have been a tad bland, or my love of Gerry Daly was all consuming.

Yeah I was a big fan of Jelly Baby (Daly).

My memories of Don Masson, though vague, was that he simply didn't live up to expectations. He was the star man at Notts County but was ageing and never really settled at Derby. Didn't he go to QPR? 

Anyhow he strolled around central midfield, hitting long accurate passes. Think of Huddlestone without the height and bulk.

Edit: Just looked it up. QPR got him from Notts and we swapped Leighton James for him. He then went back to Notts from us.

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

So effectively just think of Huddlestone, because he never used either to his advantage.

If never even heard of Masson until this thread btw.

Don't think we had them all with us at the same time but the entire Scottish midfield, around the time of the Ally MacLeod world cup in 78, were Rams.... Rioch, Gemmill and Masson.

Ok, maybe, Souness and Hartford were also thereabouts.

Marshall 

Byrne Davies Clarke Buchanan 

Bielik 

Knight  Sibley 

Waghorn Kazim Jozwiak 

That on paper is top half quality, beat Coventry and get the front 3 working and ditch any other formations and instead of crying I think we will be laughing. 

27 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah I was a big fan of Jelly Baby (Daly).

My memories of Don Masson, though vague, was that he simply didn't live up to expectations. He was the star man at Notts County but was ageing and never really settled at Derby. Didn't he go to QPR? 

Anyhow he strolled around central midfield, hitting long accurate passes. Think of Huddlestone without the height and bulk.

Edit: Just looked it up. QPR got him from Notts and we swapped Leighton James for him. He then went back to Notts from us.

I can’t even talk about it without needing immediate medication.
ps. I don’t remember any long accurate passes. 
the fact that we swapped him for our £300k record signing, and after 23 games swapped him again for a £30k winger should tell you something.

29 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Don't think we had them all with us at the same time but the entire Scottish midfield, around the time of the Ally MacLeod world cup in 78, were Rams.... Rioch, Gemmill and Masson.

Ok, maybe, Souness and Hartford were also thereabouts.

Yes, think Gemmill had gone down the A52 by then. 

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

So many strange things on here.

1) People writing off Sibley

2) Folk believing Ibe will be a world beater despite having not played in a year.

3) @RamNutplaying Knight as a holding midfielder -  at least play a player to his strengths 

4) Anyone playing Lawrence lol

He's an impact sub at best...needs a rest. Needs to re-think his temperament and his stock contribution also needs a re-think. Did put in some better corners though yesterday. 

Archived