Our strongest starting XI?

Ellafella

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure where the idea has come from that Bielik is a world beater. Probably the same source that says Liam Rosenior was a championship expert. 

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If everyone's fully fit then Bielik has to play. And I know people think Kazim-Richards had a good game, but it was only one game. He wouldn't make my best 11. 

Interesting @Carl Sagan. Jury is still out for me on Bielik; His size is both an advantage and a disadvantage. 
Kazim looks far better than Wagga; who would be your number 9? 

11 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

image.png.414c8df757ccbf35840b8ad9317bfdb0.png

Maybe Buchanan for Foz on rotation but this is the XI I’d like to see Wazza pick, once Ibe is fit. 
Views? 

Still no goals in that team. With perhaps the exception of Ibe, but not even sure when he will play for us. Weeks, months, who knows??

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Not sure where the idea has come from that Bielik is a world beater. Probably the same source that says Liam Rosenior was a championship expert. 

No offence intended @RamNut, but this is one of those posts that makes me wonder if I am watching a different team to other people on here ?

I thought Bielik was arguably our best player before he got injured. A really intelligent player who is wonderful to watch with the ball at his feet. He wriggles out of situations that players of his size shouldn't be able to. Add onto that he doesn't shirk a tackle, and has a wonderful passing range when he gets going.

I genuinely think Bielik has the potential to be the player we all hoped George Thorne would be for us. 

3 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Dwaine at his best is in the team centre att mid.

As the team seems to be not based on this seasons form, he must be in.

Good player but too lightweight for Championship. He never seems to manage a long stint before he gets a strain.

15 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Maybe Buchanan for Foz on rotation but this is the XI I’d like to see Wazza pick, once Ibe is fit. 
Views? 

For me, Bielik in place of Shinnie and Buchanan in for Forsyth.

I'd almost be tempted to go 4-4-2, rotate Knight and Sibley, and have Duncan (or Stretton or JHI) partnering Kazim-Richards up front.

So difficult to answer this question because it depends on the style of football the manager is going for. For me, this squad could suit two styles: a fluid, McClaren-esque 4-3-3, or a more Kloppite 4-2-3-1, with a front four that attack fluidly, wide men as inside forwards, similar to the style in the Wagner video I shared earlier.  For those formations, I'd say these are our strongest sides:

- - - - - - - - Marshall - - - - - - - -                              - - - - - - - - Marshall - - - - - - - - 

Byrne - Wisdom - Clarke - Buchanan                        Byrne - Wisdom - Clarke - Buchanan

- - - - - - - - - Bielik - - - - - - - - - -                            - - - - - - Bielik - - - Bird  - - - - - - -

- - - - Holmes - - - - Bird - - - - - - -                           Ibe - - - - - - Lawrence - - - Jozwiak

Jozwiak - - - Kazim - - - Lawrence                             - - - - - - - - Waghorn - - - - - - - - 

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Views? 

If Shinnie and knight are to play the holding roles, then Shinnie should be on the left and knight on the right.

Shinnie on the left should offer cover for an attacking left back so that might work better with Buchanan. 

knight is a clever player and could push further forward if necessary.
wisdom wouldn’t make my best 11.Not that anyone has really grabbed that centre back spot.

Swap Ibe and Jozwiak over too? Wide left is a problem position for us. 

i do think knight and Sibley together are the key to building a new team.

look back at that Leeds semi, and the way Mount and Wilson were constantly driving us forward (with Johnno holding). Knight and Sibley could do that - if they’re ever given the chance to. They are two players who always want the ball, never hide, and always look to attack and be positive.

7 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

No offence intended @RamNut, but this is one of those posts that makes me wonder if I am watching a different team to other people on here ?

I thought Bielik was arguably our best player before he got injured. A really intelligent player who is wonderful to watch with the ball at his feet. He wriggles out of situations that players of his size shouldn't be able to. Add onto that he doesn't shirk a tackle, and has a wonderful passing range when he gets going.

I genuinely think Bielik has the potential to be the player we all hoped George Thorne would be for us. 

Got to agree with you Nuwtfly I think the lads a beast could be a real midfield enforcer for us and take games by the scruff of the neck and boss it.

22 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Views? 

I'd change out Forsyth for Buchanan, Shinnie for Bird and switch to a 433 but otherwise agree.

I'd also be looking keenly at Wisdoms place. To be honest I'm not sure the right option in that position. Wisdom is a strong contender though and gives much needed pace to the backline. Personally would be tempted to try Bielik there for a time. 

10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I’m with @Ellafella 

not yet convinced.

27 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Views? 

I like it, but switch knight and Shinnie so left footer on left side. I do wonder if we'd need someone more comfortable taking the ball from defence. I agree Bielik can be rash but has the potential to be powerful, dynamic and with a nice passing range.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

If Shinnie and knight are to play the holding roles, then Shinnie should be on the left and knight on the right.

Shinnie on the left should offer cover for an attacking left back so that might work better with Buchanan. 

knight is a clever player and could push further forward if necessary.
wisdom wouldn’t make my best 11.Not that anyone has really grabbed that centre back spot.

Swap Ibe and Jozwiak over too? Wide left is a problem position for us. 

i do think knight and Sibley together are the key to building a new team.

look back at that Leeds semi, and the way Mount and Wilson were constantly driving us forward (with Johnno holding). Knight and Sibley could do that - if they’re ever given the chance to. They are two players who always want the ball, never hide, and always look to attack and be positive.

Very astute tweaks @RamNut. Agree with everything but Wisdom; He does switch off at times but he’s the best we have unless we try and convert Bielik to CH. Bielik’s size concerns me if he’s deployed in midfield and also think he over-commits and would concede too many free-kicks in dangerous areas but at CH would be Stimac-sequel. 

Archived